mjosparky

"Do not touch"

There was an incident at Elsinore yesterday, I don't know the details so won't go into it.
But after talking to one of the first rigger types on scene I felt there was lesson to be passed on aside from the in-air problem.
Before a rigger had a chance to look the gear over, a well meaning jumper had gathered it all up and rolled it into a nice neat package. As I said, the actions of this jumper were well meaning but wrong.
Having witnessed the incident from the ground it was so fare away that I could not determine what kind of problem the jumper had. When the gear was disturbed it makes it harder or almost impossible to determine the chain of events. If you are first on the scene of an incident, please do not disturb the gear any more then is necessary to treat the jumper involved. If you feel the need to be helpful, try to prevent others for doing the same and remember any changes to the gear position or damage.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

That is wonderful advice, Sparky. The gear left as is and looked at by a rigger can sometimes help determine what took place. After a cutaway, for instance, if the gear is brought to the rigger as is, sometimes the cause of a malfunction can be determined.

Also, will someone PLEASE PM me about this incident at Elsinore. Before I broke my ankle, I was supposed to be on Mel's 6-way team for the Poker Run, yesterday. I still do not know who was hurt. The people at Elsinore are like family to me, so can someone please fill me in. :(

As an aside to that, it's worthwhile for DZ emergency-response personnel to aquaint themselves with how to cut a rig off someone. The primary purpose is to get a rig off someone quickly in an emergency; even good trauma shears won't cut through a ripcord housing. A secondary purpose is to cut the rig in a place where it's repairable; that may lessen the anxiety of the jumper and lead to fewer cases of the jumper insisting on wriggling out of his rig to "protect" it despite a possible unstable spinal injury. Master riggers and manufacturers are good sources for this info.