dgm458

Freefall Time~How much?

I don't have the luxury of owning a Pro-Track to count my freefall time for me so I have to do a manual count via the table in my logbook. My friend and I were discussing our dive the other day and we disagreed on the amount of freefall time.

The tabel in my book reads as follows:
(RW time; 2500 pull altitude)
Exit Alt. Time
2500 0
3000 6
3500 10
4000 13
4500 16
5000 20
5500 23
6000 26
6500 29
7000 32
7500 35
8000 39
8500 42
9000 45
9500 48
10000 51

We exited at 10000 and pulled at 3500. To me, that means 45 sec. of freefall time. He had like 55 or so for the same altitudes. I count my pull time as being the altitude in which I pull the p/c from the BOC, not when I'm in the saddle. I think my friend is counting it up until he's in teh saddle. How about everyone else?
--------------------------------------------------
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail

Personally I don't really add it up to the second... 13500 and above is a minute, anything below doesn't count - I figure it evens out over time...
I do keep a record of the heights I jumped at though, should I ever need to know exactly how much free fall time I've got though...

Personally I don't really add it up to the second... 13500 and above is a minute, anything below doesn't count - I figure it evens out over time...
I do keep a record of the heights I jumped at though, should I ever need to know exactly how much free fall time I've got though...

It's still a guess, and an assumption of a constant rate. Fall rates varies on altitude and the sort of stunts you're doing. Tracking in particular = less free fall time.

I'd love to know more exact numbers, but it sounded like the Neptune types are still giving an appoximation.

My log book has 3 charts - I assume I'm falling like lead.

Tracking in particular = less free fall time.

Actually, if you have a fast-flat track, you will have more freefall time than if you just fell belly to earth. My vertical speeds during a track are in the low 90's, according to a pro-track, my belly to earth runs around 112-115mph

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Yoru friends protrack is mesuring freefall time from exit until he is in the saddel. This will easily be 5 to 8 seconds different from what you are counting.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

A fairly good rule of thumb (for flat flying at least) for working out freefall time on a given jump is:

10 seconds for the first 1,000 feet and 5 seconds for every subsequent thousand feet.

(I hope I don’t need to say that this is obviously from exit altitude to deployment altitude! ;))

Vicki

Tracking in particular = less free fall time.

If you are getting LESS freefall time in a track, there is something really wrong with your tracking.

I'm 6'2" and 225 out the door. In a stable belly I average 125-130m/h. In a solo tracking dive, I average 90-95 m/h.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The table in my log book assumes 109mph for a belly jump (Square1 log) while I have noticed since I got a pro-track that we normally manage an average of 120-125mph.

VT1977's rule is a pretty good one, I generally look to get 65 seconds from 13k on my protrack, pulling at 3k.

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

If you are getting LESS freefall time in a track, there is something really wrong with your tracking.

I'm 6'2" and 225 out the door. In a stable belly I average 125-130m/h. In a solo tracking dive, I average 90-95 m/h.

Points taken. Then the argument goes the other way! You still can't precisely translate feet to secords.

I guess I don't know what happens to my rate yet - I just know my head is lower down. I've only done a half dozen of so jumps with tracks, so I'm not doing any flat tracks yet.

If you are logging in that book... go by the book... if you really want something more accurate "which I did", then buy a pro-track or a skytronic...

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson