newsstand

New Suit

This weekend I will be jumping with a jump suit, something I have not done before. It is a "basic" Flite Suit with booties, grips and swoop cords added. I plan on getting an RW coach for the first jump. The idea is that we go out together, they fall nice and stable and it is up to me to get to them, dock, back off, come back in and all of that basic stuff. The idea is that they will be able to tell me what specifics to work on afterwards.

Any hints on how much different this is going to be than jumping in a t-shirt and camo (BDU) pants?

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Firstly, take into account I have 23 jumps, and only the last one is of any relevance here!

I have been jumping in the student suits up until last Sunday when I got a second hand rel suit that fits me perfectly. I did one jump in it at the end of the day, I was jumping with 2 guys who were bigger than me, and they put their bigger suits on so that they didnt go low on me, but in this new suit, I ended up going low on them(only for a few seconds).

From that experience, I'd say a good fitting jumpsuit drastically changes how you fly, but as I said - I'm talking about one jump here, so I could be entirely wrong!
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

Any hints on how much different this is going to be than jumping in a t-shirt and camo (BDU) pants?

two words... 'A' and 'LOT'! I doubt that you will notice the grips very much - apart from the obvious point of being easier to take hold of, but the booties will rock your world. Others may disagree but I wouldn't even bother with the swoop cords just yet unless you have a major fast fall problem.

The difference will be something like putting a turbo on your car. When I (very rarely) do FS without a jump suit I find moving around the sky SOOOO slow...

Talk to your instructor before you jump and work with them on body position as smaller changes will make a lot more difference when wearing a suit with booties. That said, when you are used to them (which probably won't take long) you will find flying a lot easier...:)
Have fun! B|

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Thanks to both of you! I am looking forward to it and will definately be working with a coach for the first jump.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

You'll love the booties. i jumped without a suit recently and discovered how hard it is to fly without them. If you do good knee turns and position your feet propertly you'll discover how much power those babies give you. Your track should be much better too. My jump without a suit felt like I was stick in a tar pit, I had so little control.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP