Synapse

Clearing line overs

Ok, during AFF I was trained to cut away as soon as I realized a I had a line over mal, but I have read in a few threads on here of people trying to clear them. No one ever really gave any specifics so I'm wondering what the "accepted" procedure for doing that is and what everyone's feelings are on this. In other words do you try to clear it or go straight to EPs?

As always, I know the best place for advice on this is my instructor and the next time I see one of them I will ask, but since they are in a different state it may be a while. :)
-syn
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain
a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty
nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

{quote}As always, I know the best place for advice on this is my instructor and the next time I see one of them I will ask, but since they are in a different state it may be a while.{quote}

I think that at your currant level of progression, you answered your own question!

It may be possible to clear a line over by stalling the canopy.

But I'm given to understand thats the easiest way to put a line burn in your Sabre2.

Personally, if I had a line over, I'd cut it away... and fast.

The longer you wait, the more time that line has to burn the canopy as it tries to inflate/ shape itself and fly. The process of clearing the line over can also put a line burn in as it slips off.

Verify with the first instructor you see, be they yours or whomever, but I'd cut it myself.
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

Ok, during AFF I was trained to cut away as soon as I realized a I had a line over mal, but I have read in a few threads on here of people trying to clear them. No one ever really gave any specifics so I'm wondering what the "accepted" procedure for doing that is and what everyone's feelings are on this. In other words do you try to clear it or go straight to EPs?

As always, I know the best place for advice on this is my instructor and the next time I see one of them I will ask, but since they are in a different state it may be a while.

Ask your instructor, and follow their advice.

I've had a handful of lineovers over the years, and they are not all the same.

Releasing the brakes turned out to be a really bad idea, since the canopy went from flying poorly with a built-in turn to spinning wildly upside down. I chopped.

I had an identical lineover with an equivalent canopy. Instead of releasing the brakes, I pulled down vigorously and deeply on the risers on the side of the lineover, then released them. That cleared the lineover.

I later had a lineover on a crossbraced canopy, where one line went straight across, almost in the center, making it look like a bow-tie. Considering that it's a ground-hungry little bastard at the best of times, that the line-over wasn't near the edge and that I wasn't curious as to how violent would be its behavior if it didn't clear properly, I went to reserve.

More experienced skydivers than I have died while clearing malfunctions instead of going to emergency procedures. I MAY make one FAST attempt if I know I have the altitude and it seems like it might work. Even while trying to clear it, I'm planning my emergency procedures.

For the time being, I would stick with the tried and true means of coming out of it in one piece. Making it up as you go along requires a lot of luck - and luck comes in two flavors.

Blue skies,

Winsor

I totally agree, I only had one and it cleared pulling the opposite toggle, Because you get to know so well your canopy I knew I was in trouble when I felt the canopy coming out the bag as I feel it unfolding and tried to spin to the side of the line over, my first instinc was grab the opposite toggle and look up, not a nice picture specially with a crossfire, good luck it cleared pretty fast.
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

hey there.....I learned S/L..............my first freefall which was my 4th jump was a lineover......I did what I was taught and tried to clear it.......I bailed out of the plane at 3500 feet.........due to the fact my canopy was spinning I had a hard time snapping the toggles down.............I tried a second time and managed to get them down..........still could not clear it..............cut away......
everyone in the plane said they could see the line moving a little.........
I then moved to florida and went to AFF where they teach to cut away right away..........one because I was a student..........and my JM told me he would cut away any lineover due to the fact if he does clear it there is a good chance his canopy will be burned or have a hole in it.......
I can tell you that during mine by the second try I was spinning very fast and started frieking out......my muscle memory from training is what saved my butt..........I would say cut away right away.....

blue skies and safe landingsB|

skygirl1
" Mean people SUCK!"

I have not had one, but I've seen one. It was far more violent than I ever would have imagined. The jumper cut it away, and it certainly never occurred to me while watching it that he should try to fix it. On the ground he said that when he looked up at his canopy and saw the landing area in the background, it became clear that he needed to try a different one.

My advice: follow the advice of your instructors.

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

I tried clearing mine once! It didn't help.
it's strange, everything was (my mind) in slow motion. All of a sudden my hands were on my handles and I was praying my training had sunk in!
Listen to your instructors, it might save your life!
----------------------------------------------
"Thats not smoke, thats BUCKEYE!!"
AQR#3,CWR#49