Daryl87

Parents won't let me jump

I really want to learn to skydive but I am only 17 and a couple of months, my parents won't sign the waiver forms to let me jump though, they say they don't mind if I jump when I am 18 but they want nothing to do with the decision, is there any way I can get round this and jump or am I going to have to wait till I'm 18?

Wait 'til you're 18.

It's not worth fighting with your parents about at your age.

/agree
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

5th'd
Be happy that they are OK with it when you are 18 and I assume that you still live with them. Also if they still support you in any way such as insurance, vehicle, tuition, housing or anything else. They may look at ways of discouraging it by taking something away or making you start paying them back for some of these things to tie up your finances. Skydiving is not cheap!

Wait until you're 18. Use the time to save up a lot of money so you can pay for your training and rig with cash. You're going to need quite a bit of money to start out with.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Go to a DZ and learn how to pack.
This won't help you to jump but you'll make good money and develop a healthy understanding of the equipment.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

HI Daryl

Ditto on waiting, Listen to your folks.:)
How about If you got your own wheels or you can talk your folks /friends into taking a ride out to the local DZ for a picnic. Bring some lawn chairs cooler etc. You all might enjoy the show.

It's even free except for the gas.

R.I.P.

I would not totally walk away from it. Most whuffos make the assumption that skydiving is extremely dangerous. Put some time into looking up statistics regarding skydiving, and show them to your parents. That was what I did when I wanted my first sportbike and believe me the statistics didn't really help my case there, and in my opinion riding a motorcycle is much more of a risk than skydiving. The fact that I put that much effort into it showed them that I was really committed and wanted it though so they decided to help out. It never hurts to try but don't push the issue to much if they say no after that just wait til you are 18 no need to sour them on it by trying to force their hand.

Greenie in training.

WHAT DZ would let you jump at 17? As I understand, the waiver is a contract giving up your right to sue, and a third party cannot give up your right for you. (LawRocket, can we get an opinion?)

If you can't wait until you are 18, then contact Mike Mullins to see if he will adopt you.:)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Hey, i can totaly understand as im 16. When i was 12 i couldnt wait to jump!! But, i just went to the DZ where both my parents jumped, and started packing, and editing the tandem videos. You can make awesome money when you arent jumping. So, i would just go hang out and learn how to pack and watch some videos and get to know the people there!
Once i turned 16 i started jumping, and already knew how to pack, so that took care of 1 part of the A License

--I don't even know enough to know that I dont know--

I had to wait until I turned 18.

The weekend of my birthday I go out, and they didn't even check my ID!
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I would not totally walk away from it. Most whuffos make the assumption that skydiving is extremely dangerous. Put some time into looking up statistics regarding skydiving, and show them to your parents. That was what I did when I wanted my first sportbike and believe me the statistics didn't really help my case there, and in my opinion riding a motorcycle is much more of a risk than skydiving.

And I was going to tell him to go out and find a cheap UJM to bring home! Though at least in CA, you can only have a license 16-18 if your parents will cosign for you. Not sure what's the next step in the eternal battle.

Unfortunately, if you're hoping for parental assistance with college you are best off not making big waves for a few more years.

Very good idea! Also, try to get some time in a wind tunnel if you can't start now (Not cheap either though). You've got plenty of time, enjoy having money now while you still can. Sounds like you are 17 and already commited to a life of poverty. Good for you. B|

PcCoder.net

why not just wait? You're 18 soon enough. Alot of what jumping is about it learning patience (which you have to have a lot of if you jump in the UK:P) as well as disposable income.

Don't know where you are but use this ground time to read as much as you can about it, save a LOT of your money and get into a wind tunnel if you can.

Good luck!

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

at 17,lets say you get hurt-they will be responsible for the medical bills. At 18,you'll be responsible.If they don't have health insurance one little inury,surgery and a hospital stay could possibly bankrupt them. You waited this long-just wait until your birthday then give yourself a nice birthday present.
Freedom isn't free. Don't forget: Mother Earth is waiting for you--there is a debt you have to pay...... POPS #9329 Commercial Pilot,Instrument MEL

Heh, I started jumping less than a month after I turned 18... I recommend you wait... and save money for crying out LOUD- SAVE IT! Hold on to it and run... and then when you're 18 go jump your butt off... They aren't kidding when they say 'it looks like you've already committed yourself to a life of poverty'...

Good luck with the parents, don't fight em.. and good luck with your first jump (whenever it so happens to be :P)

as said by DJL,
go to the DZ, learn to pack... You will understand a few things about how the activity works, you'll know how to pack (saving yourself precious time or money), you will make money, and you will make friends with people at the DZ
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

as said by DJL,
go to the DZ, learn to pack... You will understand a few things about how the activity works, you'll know how to pack (saving yourself precious time or money), you will make money, and you will make friends with people at the DZ

This is great advice. If you get into the DZ life/scene enough they may even cut you a decent discount on the training