DrStrangelove

When did you move to throwout deployment?

I've only seen a ripcord deployment system @ a dz in another country, I didn't even know what it was.

I think at most turbine dz's your going to see students on BOC systems right after tandems, on AFF 1.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

I went to a BOC throw out after AFF only because that type of deployment was not available at that time for student training.

We use throw out for all our AFF jumps so there is no retraining afterwards.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I'd venture a guess that at least 50% of the DZ's in the us have forgone ripcord systems in favor of throwout BOC systems.

I did 3 tandems and moved on to a 1 jump master release dive for #4 with a BOC throwout rig.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

BOC does not necessarily imply throw-out. There are also BOC ripcords, which is what I learned on.

Transitioning from BOC ripcord to BOC throw-out was pretty easy. We just had to remember to throw it away.

I remember asking "what if I forget to throw it away?" The answer was "oh, you'll remember after a couple seconds." ;)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I learned at a dz with ripcords. I transitioned to throw out when I started on transitional student gear (after I graduated). I didn't think the transition was difficult, but I think boc from the start is a good idea.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose

You left out transitioning to belly band throw outs, leg strap throw outs, pull outs, etc.;) Let's see I transitioned to ROL throw out 200 to 300 jumps, when I bought my first throw out rig in 1982.B| Not everybody had been jumping less than 15 years.:P

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

My first hand-deployed pilot chute was stuck into the pocket where my lateral came out. I guess that made it an SOC (side of container). I took the ripcord off to do that :)
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

when i first started jumping (4 years ago), everything was ripcord.... now SWC has begun phasing it out & is using BOC throw-out. why not prepare students for a BOC from day 1?

personally, i had 50 ripcord jumps before being trained for BOC.

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com

AFF 1.

My FJC instructor said "why should we train you on ripcord when you're never going to use it after student status, and we'll just have to retrain you for BOC anyway?"

Makes sense to train people with what they're going to actually be using the first time around.

Nope, a Starlite. The pocket where the lateral came out was actually pretty open at the outside, so it probably wasn't real secure, but I was young and bulletproof.

The closure was 2 elastic loops with a bight of bridle through each one (replacing the 2 loops and pins that had formerly resided there).

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

i used BOC ripcord for about 10-15 jumps before i switched to throwout... i learned with static line, and its kind of hard to do PRCPS with a pilot chute... i guess if you threw away a pilot chute each jump.. but that would get kinda expensive :P

search the forums, this has been discussed to death before, but basically there are pros and cons to teaching throwout straight from jump 1.
and some learning methods, like SL, are really designed for ripcords.

MB 3528, RB 1182

It was cool to be jumping in the 70's and early 80's during the gear revolution. Pilot chutes on bellybands, front of leg straps, back of leg straps, in the backpad. Seemed no configuration was too bizarre to not try. I remember going to a pull out and everyone wondering how you could find that thing back there everytime. Now they are almost all "back there".:)
The question about PRCP's and throwouts was good. You could make a bunch of fake throwouts with crepe paper and PVC pipe chunks for all the students. Might have a litter problem, though.:D

Used BOC ripcord through AFF and transitioned to throw out PC after that during the consols (UK AFF).

But I have a question... for those using throw out PC during AFF, where is the AFFI's second deployment handle (required in the BPA ops manual and I assume it is the same for the USPA) and how does that work? I mean it is easy for a ripcord system but I can't visualise that for a throw out PC?

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

I think at most turbine dz's your going to see students on BOC systems right after tandems, on AFF 1.

I learned at a small DZ, although we ran turbines (still do, depending on how many people are there. occasionally we run the cessna when it gets really slow).
I used a ripcord until probably jump #15 or so...around there. Maybe more l ike #20...I'd have to check my log book.

--------------------------------------------
Elfanie
My Skydiving Page
Fly Safe - Soft Landings

But I have a question... for those using throw out PC during AFF, where is the AFFI's second deployment handle (required in the BPA ops manual and I assume it is the same for the USPA) and how does that work? I mean it is easy for a ripcord system but I can't visualise that for a throw out PC?

Either I throw the PC, or they do. Happened once to me when I grabbed his altimeter. But there is no secondary method.

From the BPA ops manual - section 6:

------------------------
2.2.4. Free fall equipment must be ripcord deployed (unless an AFF Student Parachutist who may use a ‘throwaway’ pilot chute, which must be able to be activated from either side).
------------------------

This relates to student equipment. I just can't see how you could have a throwaway which could be activated from 'either side'...:S

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.