Kramer

Do You Know The EXACT # Of Jumps You Have?

Ocassionally I'd add up my first two log-books, the transcribed totals from my Sky Tronic, and the total off my pro-track.

Then I misplaced my pro-track, and haven't been bothered to get a print-out from manifest (which they're only willing to do at the end of the day). Since I don't care about getting my octa-nona-diamond freefall wings having 1500 or 1700 doesn't matter.

Yep.

As of last weekend 7625.

I note each one as I do it on a piece of paper, then at the end of the week, transfer that into my palm pilot as a total number of jumps and update the freefall time. Then I do a hard copy backup to a log book with all the other detail in it, such as DZ, plane, altitude and equipment. I do a lot of jumps and have a few rigs, so it's useful for me to keep up with the routine maintenance of my equipment.

I don't use neptunes, pro tracks, or in fact any other altitude device other than a wrist altimeter. My pencil and scrap pf paper have yet to run out of battery or refuse to download yet.

I do a lot of jumps and have a few rigs, so it's useful for me to keep up with the routine maintenance of my equipment.

I had a question about that, do you log after each jump, which rig you jumped?
I roughly know how many jumps I have on each of my rigs, but not exactly, and would like to hear a couple of tricks that you use.. I don't see you logging during the day so I was just wondering.

Iwan

My rig bag got ripped off so I lost all my jumps from year 2-6. Sucks. I'm guesstimating from that point on. I had a general idea of what I had at the end of year six, but I'm still pissed to this day.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

I do a lot of jumps and have a few rigs, so it's useful for me to keep up with the routine maintenance of my equipment.

I had a question about that, do you log after each jump, which rig you jumped?
I roughly know how many jumps I have on each of my rigs, but not exactly, and would like to hear a couple of tricks that you use.. I don't see you logging during the day so I was just wondering.

Iwan

See all those scraps paper up at manifest ? I grab one of those at the starrt of the day, and just write the type of jump, and a number for each rig. When I come down and throw the rig down, when I go to manifest the group again, I just add to the list.

I don't need to add all the rest of the stuff, such as the plane, altitude etc, because it's all the same for each jump.

Ive always been very particular about keeping my log book up to date, with everything from the registration of the aircraft to Altitude, to weather, to ....you name it.

I have always tried to log each jump within a half hour after landing. Didnt always make the half hour, but it was a goal.

My log book is full of info which tells stories about who, how high, what happened...even broken bones.

Bill Cole D-41

My rig bag got ripped off so I lost all my jumps from year 2-6. Sucks.

Oh no, that's awful! If my house was burning down and I could only rescue one thing, it would have to be my log books...

I'm still pissed to this day.

I would be too. That really sucks :(

Steph
-x-

yes...

when I started jumping,,, I thought it was great,,, that all jumps be recorded in a log book.... ( How official!!! )..... and so I did.. and have continued doing so....It shows a certain degree of discipline, which I suppose is a good thing in this sport....
skydive safely skydive often skydive with friends

Well, EXACT is a pretty strict word so...
I'd have to say no. But only because I'm sure I've forgotten to log the occasional day of hectic jumping...
Probably not shorting myself by more than 20 or 30 jumps - no biggie.

**You want a toe? I can get you a toe, dude.**

Haven't logged my jumps since christmas.... :| ...and that includes 2 training camps :S. My protrack has all the info, but it is going to take me ages to write them up [:/][:/]

To answer your question: no, I don't know exactly how many jumps I've got - there has been many last-minute hop-n-pops or whatever when I my protrack has been in my other helmet. I was pretty sure I knew which my 1000th was, but I have been less and less accurate since then. Doesn't bother me, the 1000 mark was the only one I was interested in really (in terms of numbers)
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

Prior to quitting jumping back in the 70's I developed a crappy attitude and didn't log about 50 jumps. So the exact number is lost.

I know a few other jumpers who quit logging years ago. When you ask them how many jumps they think they really have, the number is almost always exaggerated. I know one guy who claims to have more than two thousand when in reality only has maybe 900.

I was talking to Greg Nardi the other day and he said this is quite common. Many jumpers feel like they have a lot more jumps than they have in reality. I now accurately record every jump. Otherwise I may feel like a sky god when I'm really not.....Steve1

Yep, i do. I got into the bad habit of logging them with my ProTrack and then just dump the numbers in the book, but a seasoned jumper at my DZ brought up a good point in doing good jobs in logging your jump:

Time capsules

I had everybody at my old DZ who went on that good-bye dive write into my logbook for that jump. I figure that it is a really really nice thing to have other people you had fun dives with not only sign your log, but also fill in the description.
You put it away, then pull it out sometime later and it suddenly is all there again, all those buddies and the fun, right outta nothing.:)Of course that doesn't apply to these 8+ jump days and/or training dives, but there you need to put some info in your log anyway as it helps your very personal debrief to reach your goal.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...