Kramer

Do You Know The EXACT # Of Jumps You Have?

Wassup. I've noticed a lot of us lowtimers know how many jumps we have down to the exact number, but it seems like a lot of jumpers over 1000+ have stopped logging and really don't have any idea of the exact number of jumps they have.

Just curious if there are more people who don't know how many jumps they have than do. Giddyup, and thanks.

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

Yup, I do know the exact number...well, not off the top of my head, but my neptune and my pro-track know. Every couple of months I sit down with those and a manifest printout from my DZ and update my paper logs. I'm horrible trying to keep up with the paper logs.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I know exactly how many jumps I have. Before ProTrack I'd log after every jump; after ProTrack I log them at the end of the day.

Too many cool memories in those logbooks and too much money spent putting them there. I'll always know exactly how many jumps I have.

Some people log their jumps and some people don't. But just because you see someone here claim that they have 1000+ jumps doesn't automatically mean that they're not logging their jumps. They may just choose not to update their DZ.COM profile. But for sure there are many people out there who's log books are not up-to-date.

I fall into the "logging" category and when I actually log my jumps really depends on what I'm doing during my jumping day and how much free time I may have (sometimes I'll log the jumps during the day and sometimes I'll get to it within a couple of days of the jump). But I do find it easier to log the jumps on a fairly frequent basis as it's easier to keep track of what I did and who I did it with. But obviously not everyone feels this is necessary. Some people only have their jumps logged on their ProTracks, but I am leary of relying on that method as I have had one ProTrack die on me and recently lost the replacement ProTrack (lost it on the ground somewhere so I'm totally at fault here). So all of the data for my first 700+ jumps have been lost. But once again I do log my jumps on paper, so I have certain details.

As far as what I log, well in some respects I keep detailed info on each jump and in some respects I keep very basic info. I log:

1) The jump number.
2) When I jumped.
3) Where I jumped.
4) What airplane I jumped from.
5) What sort of jump it was.
6) Who I jumped with.
7) Whether or not I stood up the landing (vast majority of my landings are standups).
8) What canopy I used and # of jumps on it (very useful as I fly more than one canopy).

And lately (after my latest lost ProTrack incident) for the last jump of the day, I will write down my total freefall time from the ProTrack in my logbook so that I have an idea as to how much freefall time I've built up (a totally unnecessary detail ... I know)

Now I stopped getting signatures once I hit 500 skydives. But I guess if/when I visit Perris Valley I will need to make sure that my last skydive in my log book was signed as I believe Perris does not honor the ProTrack logs and actually requires signatures.

Oh and if something special happened on that jump, then I may choose to write more about the event. But in most cases I'm just mentioning what sort of jump it was, who I jumped with and my landings.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

:D:D Had to give you grief.

Oh...for the record, I know exactly how many jumps I have. Depending on the way the day pans out, I'll either log them after each jump or at the end of the day. I have my D so I don't get signatures on every jump now, but those that are extra-special get signatures.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I know exactly how many jumps I have. Before ProTrack I'd log after every jump; after ProTrack I log them at the end of the day.

Too many cool memories in those logbooks and too much money spent putting them there. I'll always know exactly how many jumps I have.

I have no idea,but that is a good point.The memories are worth the effort.

Chris

Yes I know the exact number and I use dz.com as my logbook so after each weekend I update my profile for my own benefit so I can keep track of my jump numbers. I haven't actually logged what I've done on a jump since number 612 thought. I'd like to start logging them again though...
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

I may have missed one or two along the way but I'm pretty close. I don't always log especially if there was nothing OUTSTANDING that day but I do eventually get around to the basics at least.

Damn protrack doesn't log crew jumps.>:(

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

Some people log their jumps and some people don't. But just because you see someone here claim that they have 1000+ jumps doesn't automatically mean that they're not logging their jumps. They may just choose not to update their DZ.COM profile.

I fall into that category. I really dont care that much that I will update my DZ.com profile every week. I also only log by day. Where some people log by jump I will take a line in my logbook and note all the jumps for the day i.e. "2345-2351". Just lazy I guess. I will note if somethig of interest happened. If it was a unique jump of some sort it might get its own line, but not very often. I have also been lazy enough to log an entire weekend on one line with the description of "8-way training" or something like that.......

All of that said I can say that I am current in my logging overall....

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Hi KR.
Yup, got em all logged except for maybe a 10SD back in '66. Got all the log books, a bunch of the old blue "Parachutist Logs" 150 entry types and the rest are the wire bound fliptop Precision Freefall logs. I log all the pertinant stuff and ink out the dive plan in as much detail as possible. Sometimes I just do the basic dive and sometimes I write a novel!! I get them signed by other jumpers, friends who visit the DZ, jumpers passing thru, Lew Sanborn, and whoever.
When video came on the scene, I'd try to get the video guy to copy the dive to my current DZ tape. This way I not only have a paper trail but a video one also!! With current technology cameras keeping video logs is great!
What really gets me is the characters who make 4 or 5 jumps a day sat and sun for about 10 weekends of training (about 100 jumps), "don't log any of them" then go on about how they did about a thousand with this team and a thousand with that team!! R-I-G-H-T!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway, keep loggin'!! Years later you'll look back at those logs and every dive is there. Oh yeah, Charlie and I got on the hot shots 10 Man and we got in!! Wow I almost forgot....... no, you logged it.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

My log book might be +1. I know I bought 15 jump tickets at Rantoul last year. I know I left with zero. I remember thinking I was short one ticket at one point (lost it or something), but I think I was just confusing myself. I'm pretty sure I did the jumo, so I put 15 in my logbook.

Otherwise, I check with manifest when I cash out at the end of the day, so I know that's accurate.

No idea....with the layoff for 22 years.. none of my old logbooks.. and since I stopped logging them in 1977 anyway.. I have no freakin clue. When I started again all I could prove was that I had my D license.. so I started logging at that 200 number all over so I can get any possible certs I might want.

Wassup. I've noticed a lot of us lowtimers know how many jumps we have down to the exact number, but it seems like a lot of jumpers over 1000+ have stopped logging and really don't have any idea of the exact number of jumps they have.

I keep a lot of rigs in date, but only one logbook. The likelihood that the particular rig I am using is in proximity to the logbook is way less than 100%, and I don't always get the odd jump recorded.

Often I will show up somewhere that turns out to have jumping in progress, grab a rig out of the back of the plane or car, and get on a load or two. It's easy to lose track of such jumps.

In addition, I misplaced a logbook for a couple of years and recorded jumps in a haphazard fashion along with my flight logs and whatnot. Reconstructing my logs for that period left out a goodly number that I know I made but couldn't track down sufficient details to bother recording.

I think it was one of the Hunt brothers that said, when asked how much he was worth, that someone who knows how much money they have doesn't have very much. The same is probably equally true of skydives.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Just curious if there are more people who don't know how many jumps they have quote]

I know my numbers are around 300-500 short, after my 1000th jump I didnt log for almost a whole year......lazyness I guess, once you have enough jumps you cant recall each specific one anyways....(I cant anyways) and it didnt seem that important, I have since kept better records of my dives...

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I have 390 atm. I'll update my DZ.com profile when I hit 400...
I always log all of my jumps and I write loads about each and every one! People take the piss when they see my log book, but I'm the first person the team asks to look stuff up. "How did we exit this last time?" "How many jumps did we do that day?" etc. It's all in my log book :)
When I finish a book, (or sometimes mid-way through) I like to look through it and reminisce a bit... It makes me smile thinking of all the great jumps I've done and the great people I've jumped with over the years...

(a very sentimental)
Steph
-x-

It is a problem. I was doing a lot of camera jumping for 4 and 8 way FS teams. Logging that is dull as dishwater, so I stopped.

Gave up jumping for about 8 years and had a massive problem when I wanted to start again. So I had to call up all my aquantances of many years ago and try and glean from their logbooks how many jumps I have.[:/]

So unofficially I have about a 1000 more than I have in my logbook. I now try and be a bit more dilligent with my logging, and I must say the fact that Dytter now keeps a log, helps no end.

Take it from me, keep on logging. It is a good thing to do!!! :)
Blue Skies
SoftNotes
"That's not flying.... that's falling with style!"

Yup, I do know the exact number...well, not off the top of my head, but my neptune and my pro-track know. Every couple of months I sit down with those and a manifest printout from my DZ and update my paper logs. I'm horrible trying to keep up with the paper logs.

I HATE doing that. About 6 weeks ago I had to write in over a hundred jumps at once. Look at Pro-Track data to figure out "tandem", "CRW", "H&P", or "other." Since then I've stayed on it a little better, trying to get to it at least every other week.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I have no clue....

The number of jumps becomes less important the more you get.

When you have one its a big deal...

You gladly tell everyone you have X jumps till you get around 50...Then when you have 56 you say 60, when you have 53 you say 50.

After you get 100, you only go by tens...I have 120 jumps instead of saying I have 122.

By the time you get over 500-600 and you go by 50's

Over 1,000 you go by hundreds.

Over 2 grand you go by 500's.

Does it REALLY matter a guy has 2500 as opposed to him having 2400? Nope.

But 100 jumps is a big difference when you only have 500 total.

For me I slowed my logging down when I was organizing....Most organized jumps sort of blend together...I tried to log the whole day at a time, but you forget if you made 5 or 6 or 12...So sometimes you just skip it. After awhile it really does not matter to you anymore.

Now I only log tandems, competitions, and training. The occasional fun jump does not make it into my logbook.

I wish I knew exactly, but its been so long since I had an accurate count there is really no point.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Yep, I know the exact number. Years ago, I bought a dozen of those little cheap logbooks from Paragear, and log the jumps when I get home or sometime during the week. Sometimes I'll just write "5 tandems" on one line, or use a lot of ditto marks, but it's kinda fun to keep track, and for instructors, you have to "prove" you made "X" number of jumps a year to keep current. A lot of times I don't have my neptune with me, so I also track my F/F time, too.