skyejumper

Questions for skysurfers

I'm planning on strapping on a board soon, and would just like some feedback before I do.

1) How many jumps did you have when you first strapped on a board?

2) How much more difficult is pull time?

3) When you cutaway the board right before landing, doesn't that mess up your flare? Not to sound ignorant, but I'm a bit confused about this part. :|

Yes, I'll be getting some coaching before I take the leap, but I'd like to get a jump start. Thanks! :)

Uh, gee, if only there were somebody at Perris you could talk to . . . somebody with world gold medals and stuff. ;)

True, Tanya doesn't hang around quite as much these days, but you can -always- contact her through Craig O'Brien. They still run the skysurf school at Perris. Minimums requirements are in the link. Also, Scott Smith is a good resource as well.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'm planning on strapping on a board soon, and would just like some feedback before I do.

3) When you cutaway the board right before landing, doesn't that mess up your flare? Not to sound ignorant, but I'm a bit confused about this part. :|

Yes, I'll be getting some coaching before I take the leap, but I'd like to get a jump start. Thanks! :)
It's good to know our little band of fringe athletes is growing. Skysurfing is an amazing discipline that is misunderstood and underrated by far too many skydivers.

I made my first skysurfing jump on a beginner board when I had about 150 jumps. I made the occasional jump out of my drop zone's Cessna over the next few years, but I didn't start taking skysurfing seriously until I started jumping at a turbine DZ, when I had about 300 jumps.

You'll probably be pulling on your belly on the beginner board (that's the way it's designed). The SurfFlite training video recommends you try pulling in a stand a couple of times on the beginner board, before transitioning to the intermediate board, but I don't suggest trying it. Those were fast openings for me, and I'm pretty light. And I eventually blew up my canopy on about the fifth attempt, after the pilot chute started to wrap around my arm and I dipped a shoulder to clear it, basically putting me in a track. By the time you move to the intermediate board, you should be comfortable enough in a stand that pulling will be no problem.

You don't cut away the board as you flare; you cut away the board at about 1000.' The board then hangs from your toes by the toe straps. When you flare, you just point your toes down and drop the board.

I only have about 160 skysurfs, but I highly recommend it to anyone who has enough jumps and thinks they might enjoy it. Last weekend I received some coaching jumps from Scott Smith out at Perris Valley, and I learned as much in one day as I'd learned by trial and error in the last three months. There aren't many skysurfing coaches around, so take advantage if you have them nearby. Most importantly, have fun!

Blue skies,

Douva

I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Minimums requirements are in the link.

From the reqs on the link:

To enter the Perris Valley Skysurfing School, you must have a minimum of 100 freefall skydives and hold at least a C License. You must also have at least 30 sitfly, freefly, or freestyle skydives.

Are the requirements really that low? Two things I want to try are wingsuits and skysurfing. Skysurfing by far seems the more dangerous to me between the two.

Skysurfing by far seems the more dangerous to me between the two.

I think it would be difficult to make a blanket statement on which is more dangerous. Both carry more risk than a "normal" skydive.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Minimums requirements are in the link.

From the reqs on the link:

To enter the Perris Valley Skysurfing School, you must have a minimum of 100 freefall skydives and hold at least a C License. You must also have at least 30 sitfly, freefly, or freestyle skydives.

Are the requirements really that low? Two things I want to try are wingsuits and skysurfing. Skysurfing by far seems the more dangerous to me between the two.

That's the lowest minimum number of jumps I've seen recommended for someone who wants to take up skysurfing, but it doesn't really surprise me. I don't think the minimum requirements for skysurfing have changed much in the last ten years, since skysurfing first came on the scene. Someone with 100 jumps was considered to be quite a bit more experienced ten years ago than they are now. Like I said, I only had about 150 jumps when I made my first skysurfing jump. I seem to recall 150 being a pretty standard minimum for skysurfing back then. I think that rather than get too focused on jump numbers, the best qualifying factor should be how well the jumper in question can pull off certain freefly/freestyle moves, like holding a stable sit, holding a stable stand, doing front and back standing layouts, etc. In my non-expert opinion, if you can do all of that pretty easily, you can probably handle skysurfing. I'm not experienced enough to coach anybody, yet, but if I were, I'd probably like to see someone have at least 200 skydives, as a general rule, before taking up skysurfing. But depending on that person's skill level at freeflying and freestyle, I might raise or lower that number on an individual basis.

--Douva
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

The general rules of pull time still apply in order:
Pull
Pull on time
Pull stable

Stability is obviously more of an issue than w/o a board. You will more than likely pull on your belly on a beginner board. I was an exception pulling while standing, I'm very light, plus the feet were offset, inducing a slight turn while on my belly.

Moving to intermediate you are going to start pulling while standing, since your feet are now forward and you have a significantly greater surface area to work with, slowing you down. By the time you get here, you should be comfortable standing stable on top of the board.

Like Douva said, you will actually cut away your board up high, and leave your feet in the toestraps until you land.

All your prerequisites and questions will be answered in full when you get coaching, good luck and have fun B|

Over here (Holland) we have the following min. requirements:

C license (200 freefall jumps + a bunch of other stuff) plus video of the following 2 jumps, performed in a suit without extra drag on the arms:
1) sit-up exit go to stand up
within five seconds in stand-up and hold 10 sec. and turn 360o
go to daffy and perform three controlled stable dummy pulls.
2) sit-up exit
perform 3 layout backloops
go to daffy and perform three controlled stable dummy pulls.

So far, I haven't done these jumps. Am way too busy doing wingsuit and camera jumps.
Skysurf is on my 'to do' SOMETIME list tho :)I'd think starting skysurfing with anything less then 300-500 jumps might be pushing it, but I haven't tried it yet... I do think it is more dangerous then wingsuiting. Maybe because I know a good skydiver at our DZ who once ended up with a cypres fire because of his (beginner) board...
It is definately not something I'm going to do just on a whim...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

It was 1990 and I had 1000 skydives when I put my first board together. It was a 44 inch conelly trick ski that I made my own bindings and releases for. It took me four jumps before I was pulling standing up, but I was performing flips in 10 jumps. I taught one person back in '91 who pulled standing up on his first jump (GK John Hoover), but he nearly went in since he flipped over immediately after pulling and the PC nearly went between his legs. If you don't have a proper skysurf suit to wear, just be goddamn sure you are wearing something with a LOT of drag on top and something very tight on bottom. I never bought into the straight-sideways stance "trainer" boards and would only recommend that one start on a properly oriented (regular or goofy foot), shorter (42-44 inch) board.

I never, ever kicked by board off. Under canopy I would slide off my rear heel strap and then surf that mother either straight into or straight downwind to a complete stop. Never a big deal at Raeford because we have a perfectly flat and smooth green grass landing area. If I felt I was losing my balance at the end of my landing, I would simply pull my back foot out and catch myself from falling over.

I tired pretty quickly of skysurfing because there was no organized competition at all back then. I still have two boards collecting dust in the gear room at Raeford.

I always wondered about that.. I've seen skysurfers do both, but the more experienced I've watched surf in with it on.....

I saw one skysurfer in training drop his board low on final and it very nearly bounced back up and hit him (it went high enough behind him that you could see it over his head) ..that could have been very painful and caused an even uglier landing incident...

quite possiblly yes... i'd imagine getting smacked in the face with a bouncing skyboard could cause a serious change in direction at a very low altitude...[:/]

As ugly as your last landing?!?!? ;)
:S

Ouch! That was low.. isn't it bad enough Zenister gained a few pounds of metal in his leg? :(

The only skysurfer I've ever seen was Douva. I looks like a lot of fun. Even though Douva totally stole my wind that day.. my cousins came out to watch me jump but they were so impressed with his board that I wasnt that cool anymore.. ahah! .. :P

The only skysurfer I've ever seen was Douva. I looks like a lot of fun. Even though Douva totally stole my wind that day.. my cousins came out to watch me jump but they were so impressed with his board that I wasnt that cool anymore.. ahah! .. :P

I am considered quite cool among the 8-12 demographic. B|

Rans knows he's my favorite Washingtonian ever. ;) I could tell he was jealous about the cool titaniun rod in my right femur and hip, and had to have one of his own.

Now... about that skyboard bouncing up... crap, that can't really happen, right? :S Ouch... I imagine it would hurt more if I bopped someone on the head with it, rather than landing and doing my tumbling routine. I'm almost a pro at that now. :)

tis all good Tracy's giving me hell cause she cares..and i deserve it on occasion..

i dont know that a board could hit you in the face unless you kicked it forward, but with an ugly bounce it might clock you in the back of the head..

not to discourage you at all, i think it's very very cool that you want to skysurf just pay close attention to your instructors and remember your adding levels of complexity to a sport that can already hurt you in more ways than are easily imagined..

rock on!!

Hi

Excellent to see one more person wanting to get into it!B|

I did my first on at +-2300 jumps.

Pull time on a trainer board is just like a belly deployment.

Once under canopy you cut the board away so it only hangs from your toes. When you start to flare, you simply flick it off your toes and land as normal.

I did my course with Scott Smith in Perris. He's a very good and patient coach. I can seriously recommend having him take you through it. It only costs about $100 which includes the equipment hire etc.
Blue Skies
SoftNotes
"That's not flying.... that's falling with style!"

i dont know that a board could hit you in the face unless you kicked it forward, but with an ugly bounce it might clock you in the back of the head..

Yes, the whole "board might bounce back and hit you in the head" thing is kind of silly. If the board is bouncing much at all, you're dropping it from too high. If you just let it slide off your feet as you're flaring, it should just skip across the ground below you. If you're landing with a lot of speed, the board might take a nasty skip off some uneven ground, but it's still not going to bounce up and hit you because you'll be well past it by then. Instead of worrying about some bizarre anomaly where the board might bounce back up and hit him, a beginning skysurfer should concern himself with not hitting anybody else.

--Douva

well i wish i'd had video to show you then.. because it was waaaay close behind him and came up high enough to be seen over his head by everyone farther down the landing area... He had no idea how close it was, or even that it had really bounced at all, until others told him....

not something to lose sleep over, but strange things do happen...

I wish I could post the video of LewMonst trying to kick the board off and just about forgetting to flare. It had got stuck on her toe and would'nt come off as she tried to kick it.

I keep trying to get Douva to surf it across the back pond but he won't do it.:D Maybe it will be one of those "here hold my beer" moments this weekend.:o:D:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I wish I could post the video of LewMonst trying to kick the board off and just about forgetting to flare. It had got stuck on her toe and would'nt come off as she tried to kick it.

... it all ended well :$ where is that video btw?

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com