Mezzano

Neck pain following first jump

Skydiving is a physical activity like any other and if you are not a gym rat or world class athelete there is certainly an increased chance of strained/pulled muscles on opening.

While I suffered no ill-effects from my first few jumps (I work out constantly) my brother on the other hand comes back pretty sore every week after AFF (never works out).

Unless you are in excruciating pain I suggest you "walk it off" and take some anti-inflammatory meds. I suggest streching a bit before your next jump, tandem or otherwise. You probably do not need to see a doctor. My $0.02. :)
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Thanks for the confimation, I figure I will just "walk it off" and if it doesn't improve in 2-3 days maybe see a doctor just to be safe. I am in good physical condition though I don't work out a lot, I have a job that keeps me physically active so I don't need the gym per se, but it probably wouldn't hurt :)

Hello,
While I am no doctor, I had the EXACT same symptoms after my first solo jump. I believe it is from the physical exertion of throwing your body into an arch. I was fine after my tandem, but maybe you arched more than I did. After about 3 days the soreness went away and I could move my neck just fine. I would highly recommend stretching before you jump, especially if you don't regularly work out.

Just my two cents...

Jeth B|
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

Sometimes my neck hurts in exactly the way you described, after an off-heading opening. Do you happen to recall if the canopy made you turn slightly (or severely) on opening? Ideally, you should be facing the same direction when you open as you were when you(r instructor) throw out. So an off-heading opening can have some after effects if it's hard enough.

Kelly

"While I suffered no ill-effects from my first few jumps (I work out constantly) my brother on the other hand comes back pretty sore every week after AFF (never works out). "

I resent that NEVER works out shit. I was in the jacuzzi for over three and a half hours doing 12 oz. curls the night prior to my last jump.

THAT, mon frere, IS a work out.

You're going to be sore. You are using muscles in new ways, under new stress and conditions.

I've had neck pain ever since I started jumping. It's the opening shock. Think about a mild case of whiplash on every opening. I went to Dr.’s and Chiropractors, etc. The long and short of it is I stretch every night now, specifically my neck, and stretch every time before I jump. I only get neck pain now after a hard opening or a bunch of jumps in a weekend, 10 or more. It goes away faster and is more mild than before due to the stretching. You might be in great shape overall but I doubt you (like 99% of the rest of the planet) do neck stretches. It’s just a part of being in shape to jump. I know some people that it does not bother at all and others like me that have to work everyday to be in shape to jump.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

before you ever do anything physical you stretch, no matter what sport you do. always stretch.

I'll second that one! Good rule to live by! That what I do.
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

"While I suffered no ill-effects from my first few jumps (I work out constantly) my brother on the other hand comes back pretty sore every week after AFF (never works out). "

I resent that NEVER works out shit. I was in the jacuzzi for over three and a half hours doing 12 oz. curls the night prior to my last jump.

THAT, mon frere, IS a work out.

You're going to be sore. You are using muscles in new ways, under new stress and conditions.

real men do 40oz curls biotch :P
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Okay, thanks a lot ladies and gentleman for all the feedback. As an update my neck feels MUCH better today than yesterday, I am thinking it was a combination of my body not being used to the experiance and the foolishness of me not stretching properly (read: at all). I am already planning for my next jump, this time I will stretch properly before jumping ;)