jadaks

AFF Level 2 line twist

I throw the PC as hard as I can sideways, palm up. It is the JM's responsibility to get out of the way

ROFLMAO. . .yeah, ask Shark (Mark) about the look I gave him on level 8 before throwing out my p/c. . .I was AIMING for him. . .lol

Yep, I think you handled your situation well, but again, like the others. . .I am new and my own experience has been that my instructors always tell me 2 tries only. . .then relax, reposition and go for reserve. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

On static line progression you get line twists an average of 70% of the time because the prop blast spins the bag on deployment. Believe me, this is the least of the things that might go wrong.

I find it funny when I hear AFF students worry about line twists and the S/L guys worry about going unstable but each takes the other thing as pretty uneventfull.

LOL! :D

I hear you! I went trough S/L-training and those line twists were more like rule, especially since our club has a (ok... help me out here; d-bag is attached to the static line) system... :)
Proper way to do a S/L exit (see the picture on this page :S )

edit: spelling

I learned static line and totally agree...70% of openings are line twists..........I guess I never thought much of it due to the fact in training they told us to expect it on the S/L course.........of course if you cannot clear it do something.......and always check your alti.
Since I moved to florida and switched to aff I have not had one.........which is really wierd for me....;)

blue skies and safe landings
skygirl1
" Mean people SUCK!"

I throw the PC as hard as I can sideways, palm up. It is the JM's responsibility to get out of the way

ROFLMAO. . .yeah, ask Shark (Mark) about the look I gave him on level 8 before throwing out my p/c. . .I was AIMING for him. . .lol

(See, instructors get nervous around pull time. I chased and got into position for her wave and pull.)

It was more like, she waves off, reaches back, glances over at me and sez,

"F^ck you! This 'pull' is mine! Take that!":D :D

It took 4 tugs for me to pull to rip cord.

(since this will be moved to safety and training> anyways...)

What happened to the 2-try rule? Is that a local thing, only taught at my DZ?

I as taught never to try anything (regarding 'proceedures') more than two times. pulling your PC? no more than 2X. got a line over you want to clear? no more than two tugs. Got a horseshoe? try to clear 2X, no more.

I was taught a 2 try rule...is that not universally taught?

I was thinking the exact same thing, i was taught 2X's for a fast mal, 4X for a slow mal...

We were also taught that line twists, slider down and closed end cells are IDIOSYNCRACIES that WILL happen and you just have to deal with them because they aren't malfunctions (in a sense..). My first AFF jump i had line twists in which my head was stuck in front of the risers and facing down but i kicked out easy enough and felt good too knowing we had spent a good amount of thoery time on these types of problems.

Your AFF is going smoother than Michele's.

Holy shit, that sounds so god damn scary :(

As an AFF student with very little experience, I would easily piss my pants if I had to go through that. I don't even know if I would be able to remain calm and think things through whiles spinning, especially if I can't find the cutaway.

I would easily piss my pants if I had to go through that.

Not while it's happening. Maybe later, but not during.

I don't even know if I would be able to remain calm and think things through whiles spinning, especially if I can't find the cutaway.

yes you would. You'd pat around, you'd find it, and you'd pull it. You'd handle it fine.

It was a difficult jump, to be sure. But the hardest jump I ever made was the next one. here is that one. (BTW, the link BCMD put up only had the first half....Here's the whole beer story, if you wanted to read it.).

Ciels-
Michele

Edited to add links....

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~