jumpgod

Almost Quit Jumping -- Need Motivation!

I've got 250 or so jumps and I've been from one end of the country to the other enjoying skydiving since I was 18. I've never had a malfunction (at least never one requiring a cut-a-way.... YET). I donno if I got too scared, too burned out, or too overwhelmed or what?

Does anyone else feel this way? And if so, what did you do to stay in the sport that you loved so much?

I took a break. When I came back, it was better than ever.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Is not of getting scared , If you do it for feeling like scared or adrenalin , and not for the flight , you should try base jumping or something else without quiting skydiving.
You can do a lot of things and also skydive .

the guys in the golf course near my airfield , really didnt belive me I ran out of fuel:D

I'll put $$ on it that if you leave skydiving it's because of dz politics...not the joy of jumping! If you take the stance of see no, hear no, speak no evil..you're going to survive the politics, otherwise it WILL get you down on the sport IMO...

I can't give you the motivation. It has to come from yourself. I was at 275 jumps, with only 10 of those in the past two years. I thought seriously about selling all my gear and just not jumping anymore. The thought of that scared the shit out of me. I could not imagine not ever flying again.

And that was my answer. Whatever was keeping me from the sky...time, money, a new family...dz politics...whatever...did not beat out my desire to fly again...so I made a recurrence jump last Saturday and I am jumping again the Saturday....

I think you just have to listen to yourself and accept that skydiving may be a chapter that is voer for you...at least for now...and that is ok. Don't stay in the sport because you think you should.

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

I had a break for a year because I lost the joy in skydiving, but I came back to the sport when I realised it was things in my personal life that had affected my view of the sport, not the sport itself. Been jumping again for 18 months now with a bunch of great people and loving it more than ever!

A lot of people seem to take a break now and then, but most come back :)
Lili

A lot of people take a break, and just never come back because they "forget".

I think taking a break is not a bad thing, but make a point of going back to the DZ every now and again, once every 3 months or so. Even if you don't jump, just hang out.

I've lost a lot of friends who just never come back because of married life or kids or something.

I didn't jump often for about 5 years, and when I eventually came back I'm so sorry I didn't do it earlier.

Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, will be true!

Jumping is not everything.

One of my best friends just quit...3500 jumps Gold medal in Advanced 4way, Fantastic jumper.

He is happier than he has ever been.

Its not a sport for everyone.

You can't make yourself like it.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

It's just a sport. If you want to go, go. If you end up missing it, come back. I think everyone's enthusiasm for anything varies from day to day. Your comment about not having a malfunction yet makes me wonder if that's part of the problem. Maybe there's just a little self-doubt as to how you'll handle that first mally. Keep current, practice your procedures, maybe make an intentional cutaway jump. You'll do fine when that big day comes. Get a coach rating and use it to help others. That should bring some happiness back into your jumping.

I made a few jumps with some old skydiving friends about a month ago after an eight year break. I wondered if any interest would be rekindled but it just wasn't happening.

It was good to see old friends and see my old Cruiselite in the air again but I guess for some people, when the interest is gone, it's just gone.[:/]
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

It was a joke. I quit skydiving because there was no way of knowing if things such as airplane maintenance is being done. I'm willing to take many risks, and know the dangers, but that is one risk that is not worth taking.

I mean look at DiverDrivers webpage and tell me that there isn't a problem.
Fly it like you stole it!

I was at 275 jumps, with only 10 of those in the past two years.

here is a voice from the future. you say you were at 275 jumps and your profile says you have 274 total.

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

If you have to ask complete strangers a question like that,,,,well,,,,,,i think you already know the answer.

I don't know about that. This isn't the first skydiver I've heard asking about a lack of motivation.

This sport is odd that way. Live, eat, shit, skydive for so long and then all of a sudden, the desire disapears! It's very easy to lose interest if you are not being constantly challenged. It's important to always be comparing the "Risk Level" and your "Ability Level". The best feeling dives are the one where these are balanced.

Just my 0.02$ CND Hope it helps. You'll get your groove back if it's what you want. B|

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

Cat,
You are into rock climbing, and you question the maintenance of aircraft? Who maintains the rocks?
:)
Seriously, you should be free to question the DZO/DZM/Pilot about anything in the aircraft's history. Sometimes they are the same person, and you can be sure that they are betting their life on that aircraft. More than the jumpers, in fact, because any pilot worth his rating will stay with the aircraft until all the jumpers have left. And sometimes she/he doesn't even have a rig!
If aircraft safety is your question, ask the questions, adn if you don't get the answers you want, go to another DZ.
Virginia is far, but I can guarantee you a safe, exciting, smooth ride up, a beautiful ride down, and somd of the best Saturday nights in the US after the jumping stops. Till then, Blue Skies!
PS - if you start earning money jumping as a coach/instructor/vidiot, it helps to keep you focused...
LtDan
Hartwood Paracenter - The closest DZ to DC!

Seriously, you should be free to question the DZO/DZM/Pilot about anything in the aircraft's history. Sometimes they are the same person, and you can be sure that they are betting their life on that aircraft. More than the jumpers, in fact, because any pilot worth his rating will stay with the aircraft until all the jumpers have left. And sometimes she/he doesn't even have a rig!
If aircraft safety is your question, ask the questions, adn if you don't get the answers you want, go to another DZ.

LOL!

Ask? Ok, "Do you maintain your aircraft?" "Yes." "You wouldn't lie to me would you?" "No."

Great, the aircraft must be well maintained.:S

Ya, right.

PS - if you start earning money jumping as a coach/instructor/vidiot, it helps to keep you focused...

Becoming an Instructor was the worst mistake I made in skydiving. Want to be guaranteed to be in the middle of DZ politics? Let the DZ pay you one dollar.

Derek

Derek,
You obviously have some issues. Jumping at another DZ may answer those. You are obviously experienced. Has every DZ you jumped at been like this?

Derek:
"Ask? Ok, "Do you maintain your aircraft?" "Yes." "You wouldn't lie to me would you?" "No."
Great, the aircraft must be well maintained.
Ya, right. "

As I said, any DZ worth its salt will show you the books, and hopefully educate you as to the ins and outs of FAA certification. You sound like you would not believe anyone no matter what they showed you. Is this because of personal experiences?
Is it worth it even discussing this kind of thing with you?

His Quote :
Becoming an Instructor was the worst mistake I made in skydiving. Want to be guaranteed to be in the middle of DZ politics? Let the DZ pay you one dollar.
Derek

Been doing this thing for 6 years.
Four DZ's. Have somehow managed to avoid politics. What am I doing wrong, Derek?
Dan

You obviously have some issues. Jumping at another DZ may answer those. You are obviously experienced.

Seen too many jumpships either not being maintained or being maintained by non-A & P's. Seen a 182 that had the tach disconncted so the 100-hour wouldn't have to be done, etc.

I don't jump anymore.

As I said, any DZ worth its salt will show you the books, and hopefully educate you as to the ins and outs of FAA certification.

Then I don't know very many DZ's worth their salt and I already understand maint/cert requirements.

You sound like you would not believe anyone no matter what they showed you.

No, I would believe maint records, especially if I could talk to the A & P.

Is this because of personal experiences?

Yes.

Is it worth it even discussing this kind of thing with you?

Probably not, since I don't jump anymore.

Been doing this thing for 6 years.
Four DZ's. Have somehow managed to avoid politics. What am I doing wrong, Derek?

Sounds like you aren't doing anything wrong. I tended to bring disfavor upon myself by 1)flying a small canopy, 2) speaking up when things were un-safe, 3) not just shuting up and doing what I was told by the DZO if I felt it was wrong, etc.

Not saying you are a yes-man, sounds like you jump at one of the DZ's that are an exception to the rule.

The last time I went to a local DZ, the S & TA was gettingon the aircraft w/ an AFF student and the sun was already completely behind the mountains.

Derek

I don't jump at a local DZ, but I will be managing a local DZ in VA. I have flown for several DZ's over the last 6 years and have seen what works and is safe and what is not. You point out many valid points, but I don't think that you are objective, let alone balanced.
Please stop jumping if you don't feel safe. Please question th ePilot and DZM/DZO if you decide to jump or not to jump. Don't blame them if you do not have the courage to question them about issues that affect your life.
This is full time for me. Pardon me if I am a bit passionate about it. There are a lot of scumbags in this business. I will try to make sure that my owner and the DZ I manage is above that.

but I don't think that you are objective, let alone balanced.

If you had seen what I have seen, you would understand. Ever seen an Instructor told to "Jump or you are fired"?

Please stop jumping if you don't feel safe.

Too late, already did stop.

Please question th ePilot and DZM/DZO if you decide to jump or not to jump. Don't blame them if you do not have the courage to question them about issues that affect your life.

I have brought such issues up before, made me very popular:S.

This is full time for me.

It used to be full-time for me too.

There are a lot of scumbags in this business.

yep, that is one of the reasons I quit. Can't change it, can't live with it, so I quit.

I will try to make sure that my owner and the DZ I manage is above that.

Good, there needs to more DZ's that are squared away.

Derek

Whatever...
Yes, I have seen it all, all the stuff you have seen and more, and have seen and fought the problems and these issues are important, and YES you want to control things if you can, but only under duress.
You have said that you are out of it. If you want to come back in and share your expertise, you will have many forums.
When you are ready to get back into the game, drop me a line. I may only be a pilot for a small East Coast DZ, but I am told that I have a minor handle on things.
Till then, if you are abandoning the lifestyle, GO.
God Bless,
Dan