jumpgod

Almost Quit Jumping -- Need Motivation!

Till then, if you are abandoning the lifestyle, GO.

OK, I guess since I don't jump anymore, I have nothing to offer, my experience is now wortheless. I didn't realize this. Thanks for pointing this out to me. Well, OK. I won't post anymore.:|

Derek

Hey-
I read a lot of the posts, and may not respond...But don't let the negitive feedback from the gungho types rattle or bum ya out. You do gotta lot to offer, dude.

Maybe if you were to jump only for the FUN factor rather than for EARNING you would feel more RELIEF.

You sound heavy-hearted[:/] ...when you feel that light-heartedness you'll be able to see and remember the JOY that skydiving brought to you before.

Buck-up and Chin-Up skybro. :)

You are into rock climbing, and you question the maintenance of aircraft? Who maintains the rocks?

It is my job to inspect the rock to determine if it is choss or climbable. It's my job to place my pro or inspect the bolts before clipping in. If I fall and my pro zippers causing me to ground fall, I have no one to blame but myself.

Anyway I've asked the questions, been kicked off the DZ, found a new DZ, things are better but the plane rarely flies, try a new DZ back to questionable maintenance, find another DZ hard to get on loads, try the out of state thing but can't afford to fly to Eloy or Perris Valley that often, hang it up and go rock climbing since I'm out of DZs. *shrug*

Good for you on taking care of that plane and caring about your jumpers and staff. If I'm ever in VA and haven't sold my rig I'll be sure to stop by.
Fly it like you stole it!

Wow, talk about a thread hijack!

Back to topic...
Have you tried taking up a new discipline? New stuff to learn, new excitement. Might make a difference.

Hope you find the passion again.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

I didn't say that at all.
What you have to say is important, but only if you are in the game. If you are truly getting out of skydiving, then get out. Move on. Don't sit here worrying an old wound.
If you feel the need to continue to contribute, then stay in the sport. Make a decision and GO with it. But don't sit there and tell everyone WHY you got out. You are out, you say. Are you really?
Hartwood Paracenter - The closest DZ to DC!

That's interesting... I haven't jumped (or checked in here) in about 9 months, and I think I may be in a financial situation where I can go back, and I was about to post a very similar question to this.

I'm a little afraid that if I jump again now, I'll just run myself way the hell out of money again, and that's a bigger deal now than it was when I did it a year ago, because now I'm planning a wedding... ;) and I know that if I'm going to get out of the sport, I should do it now before I get all addicted again. Plus it's been so long, I get door jitters now just thinking about it, like when I was a student. My fiancee's not too keen on me going back too, but she says she doesn't want to stop me.

I dunno, I just have a lot of changes in my life right now and I need to figure out which direction I should go with this.

M

Hey, i gotta idea. Go to your DZ and listen to first time jumpers when they come down. You WILL remember what it felt like when you started skydiving. Just look at their faces, they're always so excited. Maybe...you will get that feeling to and want to go right back up and get back into it. Or...maybe you should try freeflying or CRW. Try something new. Do some cross countries at sunset, or do a Mr. Bill. Anything that you can get real excited about. Give it another shot ;)

--I don't even know enough to know that I dont know--

You guys rock!

Thanks for helping out.

Sometimes, you take this long look back at life and you realize that there are just some things that become equally as important as skydiving.

You start thinking about that sweetheart and about the risk. You start thinking about the 3 friends that you lost. Your first malfunction which hasn't happened yet. ...watching a guys Cypress fire at 600'.

...then you start thinking about things like sunset tracking dives, headdown from 15K, 20-ways...

The greatest strength in this sport is your friends and the community. We're sort of a team in that aircraft. All 100% adrenaline and I can't live without it!

Life without skydiving sucks. And even if I'm out there only to keep my currency up, each jump will always be the greatest!

HAVE FUN STORMIN' THE CASTLE!
"dude, where's my main?"

I don't know, I had set aside the time and the money to get my "A" this summer at the least. Broken tailbone and smashed L1 as a result of a tandem jump landing screwed me this summer. I wish I could have had the opportunity to burn out.
Freedom isn't free. Don't forget: Mother Earth is waiting for you--there is a debt you have to pay...... POPS #9329 Commercial Pilot,Instrument MEL

If you are feeling burned out, take a break. It's not worth doing or safe to do it if you are not 100% into it. Take a month or so to recharge you batteries.

Then go back and jump for a few weekends. See how you feel. Don't just quit, you might look back and regret it. Take your time and make the right choice for you. Your true friends will support you.

All the best to you.

B

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

I tell you dz politics are the biggest mood killer/motivational breaker there is.

I used to average around 30 jumps a month, (don't work there jump mainly weekends), and because of politics I've started to jump less, (that is until I get me Bird suit).

Never let the bullshit get you down.
...drags me down like some sweet gravity!!!

As others have said, if you don't have that same urge to jump that you used to, then take a break. Stay away for however long it takes. No one else can motivate you to stick with it. When you start to think about skydiving the way you did when you had 10 jumps, then go back to the dz.

If the motivation is gone, take a break and see what happens. The sky won't disappear; it will be there if you decide to return.

Derek,

Give him time. Everyone has to go through it if they stay around long enough. Ron said it correctly, skydiving is not everything and even with 3500 jumps other things do/may have a higher priority.

DZ politics are the primary reason people leave DZ's or quit. The old joke how do you make a good friend a A--H---? Make him a DZO! How do you make a DZO a real A--H---? Get him married!

There are people such as you and I that try to do everything right and there are those who try to do everything and tell people it right. We all must decide on which we will be. The truth will shine through after time.

Blues,

J.E.
James 4:8

Nothing wrong with quitting jumipng. It's not the end-all. This weekend I made my first jumps after 2 years away, and even though I can't fly worth a flip anymore, it's good to be back. It was also good to be away....

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I've thought about it a few times. When I got married I realized I couldn't spend ALL my free time at the DZ, but I've found a balance. I was at a point where I hadn't had a cutaway and was worried how I would react. I did have a cutaway and everything went fine, then I was afraid of having another one, took a few weeks off doing other stuff and then went out again and started having a great time, I'm back in the groove. I think its like a lot of things, your level of interest varies, but there is a point where if you are doubting yourself safety wise you need to acknowledge that while the sport was for you at one time you may be in another time in your life where its not. Jump for the fun of it, not to be cool. Fonzie was cool.

Nothing wrong with quitting jumipng. It's not the end-all. This weekend I made my first jumps after 2 years away, and even though I can't fly worth a flip anymore, it's good to be back. It was also good to be away....

linz

WTF!! Lindsey! You kick ass! You had fun..and it was like riding a bike..and you got back on! So nice to meet you this past weekend! B|

My best advice...

1) don't learn how to become a pilot because jumping out starts to feel weird

2) make good friends at every DZ -- at my first DZ's, i had this great group of friends that made my jumps worth while -- STAY WITH THEM!

3) don't let the 'big DZ's' intimidate you with all the skilled jumpers who make you feel so small

4) don't think about quitting jumping or you might

5) "shut up and jump"
"dude, where's my main?"