Nightingale

Jumped a reserve today...

no, not a cutaway.

I borrowed square 1's PD 176 reserve, set up as a main.

I had two great hop n pops with it. It's set up to open fast (slider with a hole cut into it), so jumping it at terminal would've been a bad idea. Course, this ended up resulting in a hop n pop from 8,000 feet, because of traffic below. Normally, I'd have had a bit of a skydive and pulled at normal altitude, but since I was instructed not to take this canopy to terminal, I pulled right away and had a nice long canopy ride where I got to play with it.

It flew beautifully, and I stood up both landings. The PD reserve is a beautiful canopy, and I feel a lot more secure now that I've flown it.

If you haven't hooked up a canopy that matches your reserve as a main, and you've never had a cutaway, seriously think about demoing a reserve as a main. It makes a ton of difference in your confidence in your gear.

Square 1 didn't even charge me to jump the canopy.

I had two great hop n pops with it. It's set up to open fast (slider with a hole cut into it), so jumping it at terminal would've been a bad idea. Course, this ended up resulting in a hop n pop from 8,000 feet, because of traffic below.

The PD-R in your reserve container is designed and packed the same way. You can and shoudl have taken that set up to terminal to see just how fast and hard it would open.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

You can and shoudl have taken that set up to terminal to see just how fast and hard it would open.

I have to disagree. When she needs it, she'll be happy it opened fast, but I don't think it's necessary to practice/demo a brisk opening.

I had a lovely experience where I was demoing a reserve (nose not rolled) on a hop 'n pop. Well. I had a Pilot Chute in tow, so I did the old reach around and manually extracted the bridle/pin. So by the time it opened, my body was torked and I was at terminal.

Oouch! That was my last jump that day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Was the hard opening caused more by the bad body position or by the canopy being taken to terminal? If its the canopy, its going to open the same if its a reserve pull or a terminal skydive. I've never rolled the nose on a reserve pack job I've assisted on or been supervised for.

I know a few guys in Deland are using PD-R's as their main canopies on wingsuit jumps so they can smoke it low and have a solid canopy over their heads. Its a good solid canopy that they seem to love.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

I wouldn't call it "bad" body position, as it was the only position I could get my "main" out in. ;)

It was not packed to open slowly.

When you hook up a PDr or any R for that matter as a main, you install a different slider and pack accordingly. Roll the nose three and three. Nice and tight.

There are several factors that will make a reserve packed as a main vs. a "real" reserve pack job open differently. A few that come to mind are Pilot Chute, d-bag/freebag, position in the container, pack job....

Most of the "real" reserve rides that I have had at terminal have not been comfortable. I wouldn't recreate this senario just to "see what it is like".

I would teach a student how to PLF in case they can't flare. But I would never tell them to land without flaring to see what it is like and to make sure they learned that PLF.

When I have hosted "Flying the Reserve" seminars in the past in conjuction with Performance Designs, we recommend that jumpers roll the nose nice and tight on the canopies and do hop-n-pops. Some took them to teminal.... once. It's not something you want to do all day.

So if you want to put a few jumps on a reserve as a demo, I STRONGLY suggest you roll the nose and enjoy some sub-terminal openings.

And yes, the PDr is a good solid canopy. I love my PD113r.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Than I can't argue with that. :)
Glad you took the time and effort to fly the reserve. A lot of people don't take the time and only learn to fly their reserve when they are low on a reserve ride. I am hoping to play with a Reserve at WFFC this year.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

The PD reserve is a beautiful canopy,

Yes it is.

I've got two jumps on Ravens and two jumps on PD Reserves. I'm a PD Reserve customer for life, no question.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

I know of 1 guy that has made some jumps here in DeLand with a reserve demo - for wingsuit jumps.
That canopy is older than Moses and probably opens quite slowly.

I agree with Bonnie. Demo the reserve to experience the way it flies and lands. Open up a little high so you have time to do some practise flares and really explore the canopy. Odds are that next time you find yourself under a reserve you won't have a lot of time to explore.....

There is no need to take the reserve demos to terminal although it can be done.
They are designed to open, and do so quickly.

It's such a good idea to get a demo of your reserve - if you haven't flown yours yet, call the manufacturer and get a demo :)
Blooooos!
Kolla
Blue Skies Magazine

Did ya not like the Ravens? That's what I'm still using.

Of my two jumps on a Raven 218 (I think that's the size) I experienced a right hand turn and a crappy flare. With regards to the smaller Ravens, I've seen two collapse, one putting the jumper in the hospital, and heard of many more with the same built in turn and tendency to collapse. The PD is a superior reserve, in my opinion.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

hola Kolla,
The first year when Shannon and you were at Spaceland with the demos I wanted to jump a 143R that you didn't have. Jumping an Omega 129 main at the time I took the 126R to teminal doing an 8way
and was very pleased with the opening. It was actually a lot nicer than a few Sabre openings I had previously had. Ordered a 113R for my next rig and with a couple of sub terminal cut aways on that one put a 106R in my newest rig. PDR's just freekin, rock and it was a pleasure to have ya'll join us for Skyfest '04 this year! You rock sweety!:)

Nice B|

I had my first reserve ride last weekend after a chop. PD 143-R. Wonderful canopy! I found it slightly more docile than I had anticipated but it was a wonderful ride. Great opening, great flight, great landing.

PD all the way man.

Blues,

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

Hey Conway!!
Yeah.... unfortunately we can't always pack all the demos when we hit the road - but the reserve demos are my favorites (well after the Katana)!

And you are right - with a little bit of attention to the pack job, you can make a terminal opening on the demos quite nice - but I still recommend hop & pops :)
Oh, and next year... I'll bring my grippie suit and join you guys for some fun jumps!!

Blooos,
Kolla
Blue Skies Magazine

Yepper, we will have a few out there for the brave souls that want to try them :)
There are no hop & pops at WFFC, so those demoing reserves there will be taking them termina.
I don't expect to have a lot of takers.
For those that want to try a reserve in the comfort of their own home DZ, come see me under the PD tent and I'll help you set up one for a later date B|

See you in a few days Phree!
Kolla
Blue Skies Magazine

It flew beautifully, and I stood up both landings. The PD reserve is a beautiful canopy, and I feel a lot more secure now that I've flown it.

Two weeks ago I had a terminal reserve opening on a PD143 after my hackey was nowhere to be found. To my surprise the opening was great. It was a bit swift, but nothing to complain about. Too bad the freebag decided not to follow me back to the DZ to land.

The reserve flew just like a main and the landing was a soft stand-up. I'd recommend PD to anyone.
Blue Skies!!!
Kimmy

Hmm, I had a reserve ride a couple of weeks ago and my thought was that the PD-176 flew like crap compared to my Saber 2 190. Of course I might have been under some stress and was being cautious. :S
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Hmm, I had a reserve ride a couple of weeks ago and my thought was that the PD-176 flew like crap compared to my Saber 2 190.

of course it flew like crap compared to your sabre2... you're comparing a toyota echo to a mustang.
one is made for some performance and faster turns... the other is to get you there.
it doesn't fly like crap... it flies like a 7cell f111 canopy. don't say crap until you've flown another reserve.

~E