Airman1270

Help Me Pack...

After 20+ years of packing F-111, I'm now trying to figure out how to pack Zero-P. After five jumps, the results are:

1) Packed alone, took five hours; sloppy job, beautiful opening...
2) Got some help; took around 90 minutes; nice opening, a few line twists...
3) Got more help; same results as #2 minus the line twists...
4) Packed alone in the grass at sunset while drinking; Took about an hour. Beautiful opening...
5) Packed alone while the kids watched/helped/got in the way/made me feel guilty for not playing with them; took three hours. Ugly opening...

I know this will get better. People have told me the material becomes easier to work with after some 50-100 jumps. However, I don't even make 50 jumps a year so this could take awhile. Meanwhile, we have an "all you can jump" boogie coming up this weekend and I have to make at least four jumps each day to make it cost-effective. Any suggestions? (I don't do "packers.")
Thanks much.

Cheers,
Jon S.

Well, this is certainly inspiring. I pick up my brand new gear this weekend with a new zero-p main and I have never packed my own rig. I took a packing class way back when I got my license, but have never packed anything I have jumped. And....my plan has been to start packing for myself.

So, are you telling me I will be spending 66% of my time at the DZ packing?? Nice... can't wait. B|

PcCoder.net

Don't do the packers, watch um pack your rig. At least two times, That way you can get a better feel for tha technique. Tricky lil bastards those zp's.
Should a seen me trying to pack, oh what a sight.
I look back and laugh about it now. Good luck
enjoy your boogie. E

The only part that is any different is the very end when you are about to put it in the bag. Get all the air out, and do it just like you would with F-111 BUT move quickly while keeping control of everything. Keep the stack between and your knees and sort of under your thighs while you get the bag in position. Move both knees on top of the stack, then shift your weight a little to the left while you pull the bag over the right side of the canopy. Now grab the whole left front corner of the stack with your left hand and shift your weight to the right while you push that corner all the way into the bottom corner of the bag. Once you have it in there, stand the bag upright, pull the top closed as best you can, and put your knee on the whole bag while you spin around to stow the lines. This will drive more air out and allow you to pull the grommet to the rubber band attachment point.

Watch people with tons of zero-p pack jobs to see how they move quickly and smoothly while always keeping a little weight on the canopy.

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

I posted about this last week regarding my brand new sabre 2. Like trying to get a wolverine into a crips packet, as I heard someone say once.

Anyway, lots of people posted lots of suggestions and I tried them all. But the best piece of advice that I got was from a chap at my DZ. Now, after only 4 jumps on it, I can get it in the bag clean and tidy without losing lots of sweat.

Okay, so when you lay it on the floor hold the slider end onto the floor tightly with both knees. Then, instead of getting into the mentality of trying to get all the air out of the whole thing, try to control the canopy in two portions. Some people suggested putting in the 2nd s-fold first and then putting it in the bag in order to control it, then doing the 1st s-fold and stuffing it in after. I tried that, but the tail just carried on unwrapping around the lines and it got all messy and slippery. So, with the slider end held firmly against the floor and between both knees, work the air upwards and just get the material under control up to the first s-fold. Get it as small as you can, smaller than the d-bag width. Then grab it, s-fol it, and again pin it all to the floor with both knees and the s-fold sort of in control between your knees. Once its completely in control you can put all your effort into getting the second half under control with both your hands. The it all becomes much easier to fold up together, get both knees on top of the whole thing, then get the bag around it.

Good luck.

***Die with your boots on

I've got a decent way of getting it in the bag without heartache. Hopefully I can word it well enough.

After I've layed it out, thinned it out and forced the air out, I remain laying on top of it whilst I begin rolling the top portion of the 'sausage' away from me (or towards the floor). I then get up so that I'm kneeling right about the mid point of the 'sausage', I continue rolling to approx this point and then fold the rolled portion back (towards the label end).

Now I've got the top end (not where the lines come in) S-folded tightly and I fit this into the bag with my left knee on the flap of the D-bag and my right knee on the remaining triangle of 'sausage' (with the label on it). Once this is done, I move over to the other side of the D-bad. I S-fold the remaining triangle and I stuff the S-fold right into the middle of the D-bag so the lines are coming out of the centre of two S-folds. Looks neat, stays tight, opens nicely.

Hope I got that out clearly enough...hmmmm ?

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

Thanks for the input. I tried to make use of some of your advice yesterday, Don't know how well I did, but I had the container closed in 45 minutes! A new world record. The first jump this Saturday will demonstrate whether Zero-P & I have much of a future together. If not, well, I took my old Strato Cloud out of storage and hooked it up to my Wonderhog. Just have to get the round reserve repacked and I'm ready to manifest...

Skies,

Jon

Really, try psychopack.

I took my rig home (long story, but basically my parents don't know I am jumping and my sister doesn't know I own a rig - but I am currently alone in the house, so it's safe) to practice my packing, at which I absolutely suck.

Propack (this is what I was taught as a student and observe all day long): 2 hours, sloppy job; wouldn't want to jump it.

Psychopack (this is what I was shown once): 20 minutes, everything neat; will jump it come weekend :)

It's so much easier, I am really surprised people do not use it universally. I guess everyone is much more limber than me and can tame propack, but you and me got that psycho ;)