chutem

computer geeks

Don't mean to be negative with the term computer geeks (wish I had your income). Why do so many people who skydive make their living at a keyboard. Maybe it's just me but it seems like half the people at the DZ do.

Stupid question, oh well board at work.
And no your boat won't be ready for the weekend, I wasted to much time on DZ.com

James

Not sure....but I am one....computer geek...

Bored at work too...:D waiting to catch the 3:18 train to go home and drive to WFFC :D
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Cause you need lots of disposable income:D
Kidding:D

Out here the geeks are in the minority, but we're getting stronger.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Typical skydiver: White, middle class male.
Typical geek: White, middle class male.

Um i beg to differ:D
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

With the skydivers or the computer geeks?

I'm not saying there aren't women, black people or working/upper class people who skydive or who are computer geeks, but in my experience both tend to be in at least two of the classes I mentioned.

I guess im just against the norm then...course i know i am not the only white, female, middle class skydiver/geek...there are others on here too :D
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Well, I don't know that there is necessarily a direct connection between jumping and computer geeks. From what I've seen, a lot of skydivers are of a younger age. Most people in the technology field are also young. Plus, you do need some disposable income to jump frequently. I think it spans a lot of different careers.

Back to my IP routing tables............

Don't mean to be negative with the term computer geeks (wish I had your income). Why do so many people who skydive make their living at a keyboard. Maybe it's just me but it seems like half the people at the DZ do.

Eric S. Raymond's A Portrait of J. Random Hacker suggests that we're neophiles, stimulated by and appreciative of novelty. Skydiving is definately different.

The prototypical computer geek is into sports that are primarily self-competitive ones involving concentration, stamina, and micromotor skills. Recreational skydiving fits the bill there.

Mix in an ample discretionary spending budget and you have a good match.

maybe cuz there is an adrenaline component to some computer work. yes, i'm serious. anyone else get those "F*CK YEAH!" moments in front of a computer screen? (like when the major component you've been working on compiles and runs perfectly the first time, or you pull off a really clever fix/kludge and it works)

coding under pressure can be a nice adrenaline rush (put trance on the headphones and let the mojo flow)

i went to a seminar on time management where the presenter said that people who thrive under pressure and adrenaline are also usually very successful in their jobs because they are the ones who are the most productive when productivity matters most (except for the procrastination issue when things are 'slow' :S)

and they wonder why i don't keep a planner? (gotta induce those 'adrenaline' moments, hehe)

P.S. anyone looking for a good ASP.NET programmer? B| the well is getting dry here (not getting enough custom development projects, just vendor provided software delivery)! :| i love development too much not to be doing it all the time!!!

I guess im just against the norm then...course i know i am not the only white, female, middle class skydiver/geek...there are others on here too

Hey I resemble that...

I am a Computer Geekette surrounded by some of the VERY best computer geeks in the freaking world

1/With the right software, much easier to figure out the probability of a double mal than doing it by hand...
2/Checking weather.com on the computer, then figuring out that SkydiveAZ is not the best place to jump in the middle of summer...;)

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I guess im just against the norm then...course i know i am not the only white, female, middle class skydiver/geek...there are others on here too :D

I'm one, too!! I'm a white, female computer geek (software developer). But I haven't met any others at my dz yet...
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

maybe cuz there is an adrenaline component to some computer work. yes, i'm serious. anyone else get those "F*CK YEAH!" moments in front of a computer screen? (like when the major component you've been working on compiles and runs perfectly the first time, or you pull off a really clever fix/kludge and it works)

Yup, same here. Thats the only reason I do this job -- for those WOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOO moments when the damn program finally works!!!!! :)
But non-programming people just don't get that... ;)
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site