Lesuer

When did you start

My son mentioned to me he wanted to take a static line class and I had nothing going on that weekend so I told him to sign me up as well. We are working on our A licenses and the other day there was a question raised about how many people discover the sport at my age. So, I'm just curious about when people typically take up the sport. I'm 47 and have only been jumping for two months. And, by the way, it's a hoot - although on my 10th jump I had a reserve ride and wondered if god was speaking to me!

I didn't start until I was 30. Last time I was out at the DZ there was a guy there that was 92 I think doing a tandem, so I really don't think age is an issue :)
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

My son and I started 2 years ago. He was 30, I was 52. And lemmee tell ya, there ain't nuthin' better than jumping with your kid! He lives in Florida and I live in North Carolina, so we only get together 3 or 4 times a year, but what a gas when it happens.

Brisco

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

I started when I was 20, I'm 24 now and have over 1200 jumps.

Here's the catch, I'm definately a "youn'n" when it comes to jumpers and skydiving students. Most of the folks I take on skydives and train are atleast 10 years older then I am.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

37 in my case.

The average age of skydivers is I believe 35 to 55. The USPA has some stats you can look up, probibly on line. Frankly, it is such an expensive sport people in their 20's have a hard time affording it.

there is a group at my DZ that comes out EVERY Friday. I think they are all in their 70's. A great bunch of guys and they give me hope that I will be that active when I am their age.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I started a few days after I my 18th birthday...
The FIRST Saturday after in fact!

That was 28 years ago...

Just went up with a pair ofTandems two weeks ago,
a husband & wife both age 71..!!

HE said he would be back and was checking the DZ's AFF
course out...

NEVER TO LATE!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I think because it is an expensive sport you'll find a lot of jumpers in their 30's and up.

Yep...got to have that disposable income to play.

I started in my early 30s...I may never have more than 8 years in the sport as I quit having birthdays

Just before my 21st birthday.

Had money in the bank to help me along, never would have made it through being a student if it wasn't for that.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

August 73 when I was 19, first jump class was me, my father and my uncle both in thier mid 40s at the time.
First jump cost $45 then end we had a three way $20 dollar bet as to who whould jump first, so in the end my first jump cost $5 bucks!!
Watch my video Fat Women
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWkEky8GoI

I was 18 when I started, and the majority of the RAPS and AFF students at my dz are under 30 (many of them are current military too, which probably reduces the average age).

The tandems are all ages though.

I knew it would only take one comment about the typical age of a skydiver to get an enormous amount of responses that counter it. I find that skydivers, more than anyone else I have encountered in my life, love to raise an exception to whatever you say. :S

PcCoder.net

I find that skydivers, more than anyone else I have encountered in my life, love to raise an exception to whatever you say. :S

No they don't! ;)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Actually, I wasn't trying to counter your post - I just picked 30 because it was a round number.

The UK also makes it harder for older skydivers. Anyone over 40 needs to get their doctor to say they are fit for it, and there is an upper age limit for starting AFF or RAPS training (60?).

i started almost 2 years ago when i turned 25-- i wish i would've started 7 years sooner:(. but the average age of the experienced jumpers at my dz is around 40 (yeah, a guy actually got out a pen and paper and figured it out a couple months ago... on a weather hold with not much else to do:S)

I started two years ago at age 35. I have two friends that also started at the same time as me. One was 40 at the time and the other was 47. I jump at two dropzones and most of the people I jump with are my age or older. I would say your timing is perfect. Welcome to the addiction.

Did a tandem when I was 18, started AFF this summer when I was 19. I have few financial obligations so I was able to get a job this summer and spend all the money I made on getting my license. It's a shame it's so expensive, I'd love to get other people my age involved in it :(

I started when I was 23 and still in college. My father was paying for school and still doesn't know about the $8,000 student loan I took out.

I spent 6 years struggling to pay for the things life likes you to pay for and trying to afford skydiving. This is the first year I could realy afford to skydive and I went and busted myself up.

So now I am saving tons of money so I can jump my ass off as soon as I heal!

Methane Freefly - got stink?