airdweller

Highest altitude/lowest altitude

"Will be done" and "has been done" are two very different things. People have survived freefall impacts with no parachute, but I don't see too many people willing to get on a 10 minute call for a no-rig skydive. I don't consider a jump that ends with an ambulance ride or worse very successful.

Do the math: a 160 lb exit weight, 10 sq ft wingsuit, and a 20-knot landing speed will require a lift coefficient of around 2.6 at sea level. That's higher than a commercial jet at touchdown and greater than 95% of all experimental high lift research to date. Do you really think some genius at Birdman is going to invent a suit that performs better than the billions spent high-lift research over the past 80+ years can attain?

Bob

>Try landing the wingsuit ...

Will be done pretty shortly. A BASE jumper has already landed a wingsuit and survived (although it messed him up.)

I don't think he landed a wingsuit so much as fucked up and hit the ground. Big difference.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

>I don't think he landed a wingsuit so much as fucked up and hit the
> ground. Big difference.

He jumped, landed with a wingsuit but without a deployed parachute, and survived. It can be done; now we just have to figure out how to make it hurt less.

>I don't think he landed a wingsuit so much as fucked up and hit the
> ground. Big difference.

He jumped, landed with a wingsuit but without a deployed parachute, and survived. It can be done; now we just have to figure out how to make it hurt less.

Like I said, he fucked up and hit the ground. If he had intended to land the suit why was he wearing a rig? You make it hurt less by using a parachute. A landable wingsuit (jumpsuit) will not be seen in your life time.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Highest altitude. I think it was about 18,500 feet from a KingAir in Titusville, FL. Lowest, at the age of 10. My much older brother picked me up and threw me off a 100 ft. ledge into a waterhole in Box Canyon, Encinitas California back in 1981. The bastard, I still kick his ass to this day over that incident but lovingly. However, I grew hair on my chest that day back in 1981.

"Will be done" and "has been done" are two very different things. People have survived freefall impacts with no parachute, but I don't see too many people willing to get on a 10 minute call for a no-rig skydive. I don't consider a jump that ends with an ambulance ride or worse very successful.

So true. As one of the most successful and experienced wingsuit BASERs Yuri defined the problem during his seminar at bridge day - when you're flying your wingsuit efficiently, you just don't have no landing gear... I don't think too many self-satisfied wingsuit jumpers or basejumpers really want to mess up their pretty faces that much...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

> Why are people who don't have wingsuits so jealous of those of us
>that do and maximize our moneys worth of FREEFALL

Cause we all wanna be like you!

--bill von
(BM-I 03)

I can certainly understand Bill's argument. I will also log my wingsuit time as FF time.

O.k, I should have said longest skydive and it would have been the PC thing to say. I intended to arouse the interest of some of the DZ.comers that were not aware of the extented skydive times that one can get in a wingsuit. That is why I posted that number in a high altitude / low altitude thread.

Is tracking in any suit with booties really freefall?

Anyways....

Highest Altitude : 22900 (Mullins KingAir...love this aircraft)
Lowest Altitude : No changes
Longest skydive : 3 minutes 31 secs.

Kris.