pilotdave

Stupidest thing you've ever seen at WFFC (other than the mr bill landing)

One of the three was still sniveling around 500 feet or so. Scary shit to see, especially when he's sniveling directly above you, and you're not sure if it's going to inflate or not.

So you were either:

a) Still in freefall, looking above you.
b) Under a transparent canopy.
c) Standing on the ground not running away.

Which was it? :D
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

What's the dumbest (skydiving) stunt you've seen attempted at the WFFC?

Many of the idiots who had Cypres fires out of the chopper, the people who didn't track on chopper jumps (there was one canopy collision), the dork who dumped right off the tailgate of the CASA on a high speed hop and pop pass.

Lots of people survived things that would have made them craters in the 80's. Good thing we have all this safe gear now.:S
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Alright, we know what the stupidest stunt was this year. How about other years? What's the dumbest (skydiving) stunt you've seen attempted at the WFFC?

The dumbest stuff I can think of resulted in either a Life Flight or a trip to the morgue.

Do you mean stupid moves that people pulled off without injury?

The hop and pop that resulted in a <10 second canopy ride was befitting someone getting in practice for a Darwin Award nomination. The problem with playing chicken with the planet is that Mother Earth won't get out of the way.

I'd rather be lucky than good, but Mike Mullins once took the time toe point out that I'd already had more than my share of luck, and if I kept counting on it, it would run out. His point was well made.

The close calls in the landing area made for good theater, but the entertainment value dwindles when you have to pick up teeth and hose off the site of impact. I'm glad they were lucky, and hope their luck doesn't run out.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Ya know, I gotta tell ya. I haven't ever been to WFFC, but I do know how rowdy it gets. It seems to be like Lost Prairie on steriods. Overpriced everything to boot.

With everything that goes on there, intentional low pulls, drunk and stoned jumpers......I don't think that I will ever attend this event. It just seems to bring out the inner moron in some people, and unfortunately puts many others at risk.

There is no excuse for a low pull contest...they should be kicked off the boogie.

There is no excuse for jumping under the influence....they should be kicked off the boogie.

Either there needs to be stricker guidelines, or more aggressive enforcement. If neither is going to happen....well then, its only a matter of time until people get killed due to these moronic acts and government steps in to regulate us because we cant regulate ourselves. Which one would you prefer?

Dude, just go. Don't be so paranoid.

People do get killed there almost every year. Sometimes just simply because there time was up. One person drowned in the 3 foot deep rubber pool the last year I was there. That didn't stop people from swimming

People do stupid things either intentionally and unintentionally. Hell I've been under canopy between 300 and 400 feet before completely by accident. That's not the only blunder I've made in 14 years of skydiving. People jump with me any way.

Using only myself as an example, I've hookturned too low, cut people off under canopy, got in wrap, had a mid air collision. With a resume like that you'd think I'm a danger to the entire skydiving population.

I've also been cut off under canopy, had people free fall past my open canopy 15 feet from the nose, oh what else... it just doesn't matter. It's experience. We learn from it.

Ya know... shit just happens sometimes.

Ask nearly anyone if they'd like to go back to the WFFC, They'll say yes. Give it a try. It's not the worlds largest boogie because it sucks.

"People are people so why should it be, you and I should get along so awfully"

Enjoy life, don't fear it.

C-ya!

(edit: fixed the quote.)

I have been jumping for a while now, I have never been to the WFFC. All the things I hear about it I dont think I ever want to jump there.

Dont get me wrong I would love to go and party, I dont think I would want to jump.

People that jump at Cessna DZ's that cant understand canopy traffic, lots of planes droping loads at the same time, and landing area congestion, horrible spots and landing in the next town.

This all just doesnt seem fun to me.

I guess I am just paranoid[:/]

What could possibly go wrong?

What's the dumbest (skydiving) stunt you've seen attempted at the WFFC?

Many of the idiots who had Cypres fires out of the chopper, the people who didn't track on chopper jumps (there was one canopy collision),

Okay, let me get this straight....

Go-Low comps with Cypres's on???

Yeah. That's crazy. :S

nothing to see here

A couple of years ago, two people wanted to film each others opening. They faced each other and dumped. :S

I'm sorry but that's just too funny:D:D:D Fuggin idiots:ph34r::ph34r:

How was the footage:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

A couple of years ago, two people wanted to film each others opening. They faced each other and dumped. :S

I'm sorry but that's just too funny:D:D:D Fuggin idiots:ph34r::ph34r:

How was the footage:ph34r::ph34r:

They opened, they were facing each other and then realized, "Holy S&*E!" :o, and did some last minute collision avoidance. The facial expressions were priceless. :D

The facial expressions were priceless.

I bet! :D

The stupidest thing I witnessed was two guys getting a concussion from doing ground crew for a guy who was BASE jumping off the top of a winibago: there were 2 rows of people to catch him, but all his weight went on the 2 1st guys who were holding hands to catch him, pulled them in and their heads collided! (as seen in MacGowan's greatest hits! lol) Was 94 I think (may have been 96)
Remster

Either there needs to be stricker guidelines, or more aggressive enforcement. If neither is going to happen....well then, its only a matter of time until people get killed due to these moronic acts and government steps in to regulate us because we cant regulate ourselves.

Uh, Dude...the government DOES regulate us...

FEDERAL AVIATION REGULATIONS
SEC. 105.7 USE OF ALCOHOL AND DRUGS
No person may conduct a parachute operation, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow a person to conduct a parachute operation from that aircraft, if that person is or appears to be under the influence of—
(a) Alcohol, or
(b) Any drug that affects that person’s faculties in any way contrary to safety.

And the list goes on and on....
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Alright, we know what the stupidest stunt was this year. How about other years? What's the dumbest (skydiving) stunt you've seen attempted at the WFFC?

Dave

I saw lots of stupider stuff than the Mr. Bill landing. By comparison with some of the so-called "landings", that was tame.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Weather days are dangerous! lol

A few years ago, when the jet was there and we got weathered out...

A guy flying his main in high winds on rollerblades.

A guy on a 4-wheeler pulling a motorcycle trailer. A couch was on the trailer. 4 people on the couch. 3 people behind the couch on skateboards holding onto ski ropes.

Doing 10-way speed out of the 412.

The year (91?) that the South African C-130 was in Quincy.

A guy thought it would be cool to attach a Paradactyl in in his rig backward and fly it that way. He jumped it like that and at about 300 ft, while making a turn to final, he collided with another jumper that he didn't see, they entangled and both bounced about 50 yards away from where I was standing.[:/]
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Ya know, I gotta tell ya. I haven't ever been to WFFC, but I do know how rowdy it gets. It seems to be like Lost Prairie on steriods. Overpriced everything to boot.

With everything that goes on there, intentional low pulls, drunk and stoned jumpers......I don't think that I will ever attend this event. It just seems to bring out the inner moron in some people, and unfortunately puts many others at risk.

There is no excuse for a low pull contest...they should be kicked off the boogie.

There is no excuse for jumping under the influence....they should be kicked off the boogie.

Either there needs to be stricker guidelines, or more aggressive enforcement. If neither is going to happen....well then, its only a matter of time until people get killed due to these moronic acts and government steps in to regulate us because we cant regulate ourselves. Which one would you prefer?

It's not as bad as everybody likes to make out. Everyone likes to hype the wild stuff. The last time somebody started cracking down on rule breakers at the WFFC, everybody got pissed and moved the convention to another town. Let everyone have their fun. If you don't want to go, you don't have to go.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Other stupid stuff....

1. We all exited the chopper at 4,000' in hover mode, and one guy, unable to track, simply dumps right under me. I probably passed about 30 feet from his canopy.

2. That girl who flew through that guy's canopy and split it in two at 800.' That was pretty stupid.

3. As the week went on, the helicopter briefing got less and less thorough until on one jump they forgot to tell us that the helicopter exits over a different landing area. After landing at the helicopter landing area, we all looked up to see one of the woman on our load flying away from us in deep breaks, desperately trying to make the main landing area a couple of miles away. She landed in a corn field and hitchhiked back.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

The stupidest thing I ever saw at the WFFC in 1997 was probably the stuffed and weighted teddy bear, about the size of a young boy, that was fitted with a toy parachute and thrown out on the sunset load. I'm standing outside the Alabama Gang compound off the end of the runway at Quincy, and I look up and see this rapidly falling figure under and wildly oscillating canopy go into the corn fields near the check-in point. I turned to my friend and asked "did I just see someone go in?" He nodded and said "looks like it".

Apparently there was a search party sent out to look for the "victim", which had already been quickly retrieved by the perpetrator shortly afterwards, unbeknownst to the rescuers. They even recruited the Bell 412 helicopter to help look with search lights after dark.

That was probably the stupidest thing that's ever been done, but of course we all thought somebody had bought the farm at the time.

The same year, they also had a small hot air balloon tethered to the ground that they were going to use for base jumps or something. Well, the winds weren't very calm that day, and the balloon's listing to one side and they were firing that burner at full blast, and caught the balloon fabric on fire, and I'm standing there watching pieces of it melt, and thinking, boy am I glad I'm not in that gondola!

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban