willso

Different?

Just started skydiving (3 jumps) AFF and love it!! Just want a straight answer to a simple question. How did you guys/gals find dive exits. I've posted this question on the intro forum, but need some type of feed back. Absolutely no dramas with jumping backside first, feels great and seeing the plane disappear is awesome. Just apprehensive at taking the leap headfirst!! Does it feel any different? My JM says that instead of seeing the plane disappear, you see the earth appearing instead, and that the 'feeling' as I put it is no different? After only 3 AFF jumps I feel quite relaxed on the plane ride and as we set up for the jump. A very positive JM helps with this I'm sure, but in the end I'm the one who has to get past this thorn in my side. Any advice would be greatful as I have the money for the entire course, B rels and A licence put away.
Blue Skies to you all ;)

relax, brutha...
Don't let it be a thorn in your side. It's just something different, you're not expected to do it perfectly, just do it and learn. What's the worst that could happen, you'll go unstable? So what? Arch!
Do what your instructors tell you to do, relax, and enjoy yourself. It's all about learning to fly.....
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

Hi,

It might look a little different just because of the position of your body relative to the plane and the earth. And because of this it might seem different.

The feeling stays the same (the relative wind I mean). If you closed your eyes (don't close your eyes, just an example), the wind would still feel the same as long as your body is relative to the wind ( stomache facing the wind and in an arch).
Once you get this picture you could exit in any way, as long as you are facing the wind in your body position ( in this case stomache first).

Don't have to worry, I got used to it quickly. Just have to learn to fly the wind, the position of the plane and the earth does not matter, all that matters is the wind, which comes from the front of the airplane at exit and then gradually changes to from below(from the earth).

You don't have to compinsate for this change, if you fly the wind it happens automatically. But like always have your instructor explain it. Hard to do without using visual communication.

Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, will be true!

The feeling stays the same (the relative wind I mean). If you closed your eyes (don't close your eyes, just an example), the wind would still feel the same as long as your body is relative to the wind ( stomache facing the wind and in an arch).
======================================I was told by a rep from Strong to CLOSE MY EYES AND FEEL THE WIND (AFTER) my AFF> Good advice. Just don't do it to long. LOL. (disclaimer)I AM NOT AN INSTRUCTOR;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I found the Diving exit to be much easier to stay stable in, your pretty much already belly to earth you just have to keep it that way. It is still me favorite exit:D What made it more comfortable for me was on my first diving exit my JM took a floating position in the door and I put both my hands on his chest and I dove out with him. But everyone is different thats just how it was for me;)
~Shelly

Here's a couple pics of diving exits. One person left belly to earth, the other belly to the relative wind. Any guesses which one went hilariously unstable? :D

Naw. Diving exits are easy and fun. You'll love 'em.
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

Here's a couple pics of diving exits. One person left belly to earth, the other belly to the relative wind. Any guesses which one went hilariously unstable? :D

Naw. Diving exits are easy and fun. You'll love 'em.

LOL! I'm voting for Ron's exit being the stable one!

Blue Skies,
Ron

Man I prefer diving exits. Why wuold I want to climb ontot he otuside of an airplane and cling to it in 100mph wind? that's hard man! Just hang out inside the plane and dive out. It's cool!
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I hated the poised exits because of the shortness of the Otter door. I had to transition from crouched to outside to standing up in one nice motion and it never seemed to work too well for me. Would tend to have the opposite of a nice arch for the prop blast and we would dive a couple seconds until I righted myself.

Diveouts are easy, though I'm still working on avoiding a roll or flip consistently. My mind knows the relative wind is horizonal, but my eyes don't believe.

When I did my first dive exit it all suddenly felt easy! I felt far more comfortable looking where I was going rather than where I was coming from. To the extent that I didn't like floating for the next 500 jumps and only decided last season that I really need to get over that and start floating!

I love diving!

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

relax, brutha...
Don't let it be a thorn in your side. It's just something different, you're not expected to do it perfectly, just do it and learn. What's the worst that could happen, you'll go unstable? So what? Arch!
Do what your instructors tell you to do, relax, and enjoy yourself. It's all about learning to fly.....

What he said! Your JM isn't going to let you out of the door by yourself unless he or she is sure you can get stable from an unstable position. When I first started I also got nervous doing different exits and even jumping from different types of planes. At some point in sunk in that it does not matter how you exit or what you exit from, you are 13,000 feet above the earth with plenty of time to get stable. The absolute best (most fun) exit I have had is out of a CASA, last out, stood right next to pilot and ran the whole length of the plane and just ran off the ramp. Did I go unstable,of course, but was stable within a few seconds. It was awesome, you should try it eventually.

The only time you really need to worry about stable exits is on your Hop n Pops, but you have a few jumps to go before you get there. Have fun and relax!

Melissa

"May the best of your past be the worst of your future"

My first dive exit was rubbish. I did a whole front loop. Still passed it though.

I think I nice piece of advice I got was to look at an object on the ground about 45degrees up (best is actually another skydiver in the air) and just keep looking at it as you go.

This way, if you're going over forward, you'll put your head back which natually arches you more, and if you're going too flat you'll dearch a little, catching the relative wind on your legs to push you back relative again.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

I really don't know what plane I will be jumping from, either the Otter or Skyvan. My bet is the Skyvan, that's the only one I've jumped from so far, but sometimes they use the Otter if they need to do some work on the Skyvan. I must admit, I'm still a bit apprehensive, but I'm not the type of person who gets so close to doing something and bails out at the last second!! I know that when I'm standing at the door looking out and there's a plane load waiting to go behind me, I will dive :o
Thanks for the encouragement everyone ;)
Blue Skies and Happy Days