ckeck

Starting AFF Training Saturday...

Hey everyone, I am new here, and just started in this sport. I did two tandem jumps this past weekend and I will be starting my AFF training this coming weekend.

Does anyone have any tips/advice or anything else I should keep in mind?

I hope to become a regular in this sport, so I am looking to meet some new friends here as well.

Thanks!

-Chad

Jump lots, stay safe, have fun! Welcome to the sky.

B|

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Many advices, but don't forget regardless how many jumps you have, don't assume you know everything. Keep on learning.

Blue skies and congrats!
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

I hope to become a regular in this sport, so I am looking to meet some new friends here as well.

Most importantly stay safe and have fun! Also, stick around the DZ after the jumping stops. The real fun starts when the sun goes down! B|

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

Hey Chad! I just did my first AFF/AFP jump last week. Wow, it's so much different than tandem!! But also way more satifying! You will learn about so much stuff, just try to take it all in.

One tip -- pay attention to what you learn about mals and flying your canopy. Cause as soon as you throw that pilot chute, you are on your own! That was somewhat of a rude awakening for me. But I knew what I had to do so I just did it and I was fine. You should have your instructor on a radio, but that might not work or you might not be able to hear them or whatever so remember what they teach you! You are responsible for your own ass up there.

Ok, sorry, not trying to scare you. :) Just pay attention to what you learn and you'll do great! Have fun!! :)
Jeth B|
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

Thanks everyone for replying...

I will definately absorb all the info I can throughout the training and even after thats over. And I will try to never let it get to my head...don't ever want to make a stupid mistake...because in this sport, that can equal death...and I'm not looking for that right now, heh.

As for sticking around the DZ after jumping...you don't have to tell me twice...I have heard some crazy stories where I jump.

And Jeth, congrats on your first solo jump! I'm sure it will be a lot more satisfying as well...can't wait! And yeah, I agree - you should always remember what they teach, in case something goes wrong and they can't tell you what to do.

And don't worry, you didn't scare me...its all part of skydiving. But I will have fun and expect to hear from me shortly after! I will be jumping most of the weekend.

-Chad

Hey everyone, I am new here, and just started in this sport. I did two tandem jumps this past weekend and I will be starting my AFF training this coming weekend.

Thanks!

Does that mean Skydive San Marcos is having a first jump course this Saturday? Do you ever get that feeling like you're always the last person to know everything? Sheesh.

--Douva
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Douva,

Yeah, ground school this Saturday starting at 8AM...

And I will definately let everyone know how it goes...going to try and get as many jumps in as possible Saturday & Sunday.

I'm planning on getting in training jumps with my teammate on Saturday, weather permitting, so I probably won't be sitting in on your whole class, but maybe we'll get a chance to jump together. See you there.

Blue skies,

Douva
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Visualise your training. Shut your eyes and see yourself doing it.

In the plane check that you are breathing and tighten and loosen some mustles to feel in control.

Near the top work on a bit of a false smile (tricks your body to be relaxed) look out at what is going on (periferal vision) rather than closing in with the stress. Have the jump of your life.

Well, I got through ground school and did my first AFF jump on Saturday! It was a friggin' rush! Kind of got off to a rough start...took me a few seconds too long to get stabilized, but after that it was all good. Did a few maneuvers and pulled on time...great deployment, did some nice turns and my jumpmaster helped to guide me down to a perfect landing spot in the LZ. Had a pretty dang good landing too...and that is what I was most worried about.

I was supposed to go back Sunday, but had a small family emergency...but I WILL be back there next Sunday and try to get in as many jumps as possible.

Thanks guys for all your advice and tips. A couple people told me I looked kind of nervous/scared...so I guess deep down I was a little...but that will work itself out I think over the next few jumps...it sure as hell isn't stopping me :)

And Douva, it was a pleasure meeting you, and maybe we will get to jump together if you are out there this next weekend.

-Chad

I was having trouble relaxing and nailing the arch properly until I was given a tip to breath out hard as poss when makingthe arch (dont sopt breathinhg to).
It seemed to work for me.

Other than that relax, relax, relax, relax.....

Enjoy

1.618 !

Hey Douva, it was great jumping with you a few weekends ago. I appreciate all your help and coaching & hope to jump with ya again...

I am now on my level 7 AFF jump and planning on finishing that and level 8 this coming weekend! Everything has been going great and can't wait to graduate AFF!

BTW: Thought it was pretty funny yesterday...was doing my level 6 jump and was supposed to be doing backflips, but I just couldn't get myself over...kept falling into a front flip. Any suggestions? Prob just need to get up there more and practice...

-Chad