Passenger885

ouch...my head!

During my last jump I blew out one of my sinuses, and it was possibly the most painful thing I have ever experienced in my life. This is saying a lot since I have compound fractured my arm and this hurt a lot more. My question is does anyone one know how long I should ground myself before I make anyother skydive? The last thing I want to do is feel this pain again and or make things worse. Any advise from anyone who has blown a sinus skydiving would be greatfully helpful. Thanks!

Eric

I blew mine out in February down in Buckeye Arizona and it took till the middle of March before I could go over 4000' without lots of pain.

I did a lot of hop n pops for a while....

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

During my last jump I blew out one of my sinuses

How did you do this? I take it you jumped with a serious head cold?
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

On my first jump I felt serious pain in both my ears under canopy only. I didn't 'blow em' but my left ear drum had 'trauma' and traces of blood on it. I didn't do my second jump unitl one month later, and that was after taking antibiotics and sinus tablets. The funny thing I didn't have a cold before juming? but the doc says I may have had some crap between my nasal passages to my eardrum. Anyway, have had a few problems since but am slowly working through it. I think the key is to let it heal before the next one. Good luck with it all.
Blue Skies from OZ B|

There's a great article in the new issue of the parachutist on the subject.

I find it really helps in preventing block-ups/ear problems if I equalize my ears a couple of times on the ride up, once my canopy opens, and once I land - I used to get all blocked up every time I went, but now the problem seems to have subsided....

-A

I took some nasal spray before to clear up my nose

AFAIK, this is a terrible idea, and is probably what caused your sinus problem. I'm not a doctor and I don't really understand the reason for it, but a doctor told me never to do this. It's better not to jump with a cold, but if you're gonna do it, suck it up and deal with the sniffles. Again, this is just what a doctor told me, I don't know much more than this.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.