DJL

Best Small DZ's

Now that I'm a southern gal again...my opinion on awesome small dz's in Bama are:

#1 - Gold Coast in Moss Pt, MS - very friendly! family environment. Jumpship is an Otter!B| Way Kuhl DZO!!! and home of the P.M.S. Sistahs! Great facilities!

#2 - Emerald Coast in Elberta, AL (near Gulf Shores) - Awesome beach jumps! Large landing area, few hazards, friendly, and cozy. Again, kuhl DZO. Jumpship varies. Good facilities w a/c.

#3 - Skydive Alabama near Cullman, AL (between B'ham and Huntsville) Large landing area, great vibe, friendly down to earth upjumpers, Jumpship is a King AirB|.

Because for a small DZ we have 2 otters. Most small DZs have one 182. ;)

As for Perris being really, really, really, really big, they add the SkyVan to their 2 operational otters on busy weekends. When big ways are abound, they recruit other turbines from around the west, including 3MA or 6MA. Even El Snore will have 3 otters and a SkyVan for Chicks Rock. Then it becomes a really big DZ.

Ask Rich how small Elsinore is compared to his old/new DZ.:P
4 way is 3 skydivers with 1 video; an Aggie 4 way.:D

Oh, and did I mention a helo, too??!!B|

WTF.COM, over?
I've flown at small DZ's.
Perris and Elsinore are NOT small DZ's, by ANY stretch of the imagination, unless you have extensive experience at Ft. Bragg or WFFC.
Perris and Elsinore are two of the largest DZ's in the world, 24/7. Anyone can supply services and facilities at tens of thousands of jumps a year. The question addressed out small DZ's.
Have you ever BEEN to a small (re: C182) DZ?
Hartwood Paracenter - The closest DZ to DC!

It's funny because Elsinore is a big Drop Zone. But if you have only been to Perris and Elsinore, then I guess it would seem small.

Is the drop zone still opened in Hemet? Try dropping in there and you'll see what a small Drop Zone is like.

You have an awesome Home DZ!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

It's funny because Elsinore is a big Drop Zone. But if you have only been to Perris and Elsinore, then I guess it would seem small.

You have an awesome Home DZ!

she might not know what "piston" means :):P:P:P

When I met Andy Farrington he was telling me Kapowsin is a "family run" DZ, no big thing etc... With an Otter and a Caravan... Empuria has an Otter and a Porter (actually2 now) and is the busiest DZ in Europe...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Well i have to say hands down that Moss Point has the best bathrooms in the world. Always neat and clean and u never have to bring your own towels or anything. The people are really friendly and always willing to give good skydiving advice

My home dz on the other hand would really be considered small and that would be New Orleans Skydiving Center. We usually have a 182 on the weekends. The people are really cool and fun to party with.

Well i have to say hands down that Moss Point has the best bathrooms in the world. Always neat and clean and u never have to bring your own towels or anything.
HAHA! That was the 1st thing my S/O told me she liked about that DZ. I love Moss point & Elsinor! Their both small DZ's on steroids!B|
----------------------------------------------
"Thats not smoke, thats BUCKEYE!!"
AQR#3,CWR#49

I jump at Skydive SkyRanch in Siloam Springs, AR too. I'm not originally from that area but the jumpers there made me feel right at home from my first jump. I landed off zone into a cow pasture and someone picked me up with, of course, a pick up truck, and when I got back, about 5 of the regular jumpers shot me a moon. Been jumping there ever since and it just keeps getting better and the more seasoned jumpers' attitudes are contagious in that I want to pass it on to new jumpers too. 2 excellent c-182 pilots who keep things moving quick. An occaisional King Air is nice but when Wolf and Bradley are flying the Cessnas you hardly even miss the King. Dan

ISAIAH 40:31

Siloam Springs has THE Vibe... hehehehe It can't help it with Lenny running around. Steve, Lenny, Alex, Hoyt, Mark, Terry, Jessica and the gang all kick ass! I love those guys. They always come up for our boogies and we all have a grand time. If you are ever in northwest Arkansas you definately have to visit this place. The people are top notch! (and naked half the time) If I didn't think that my place (Freefall Express) were the best small dropzone ever, I would definately say that Siloam was.

Blues,

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

Skydive Palatka, best small DZ in Florida! Two cessnas during the summer months, otter or a caravan during the winter. Winnie always provides lunch, (even been known to send the plane up with just two people). Almost every discipline is represented. And mom keeps the cleanest bathrooms I have ever seen at a DZ. Oh yeah, we always have a cold beer at the end of the day or you can jump into the local bar and the owner will give you one.
blue skies,

art

I can't believe no one's mentioned Aggieland yet.:S

They can absolutely "pull it together"! Still owe beer for that Cesna Formation Load... B|
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

Buckeye Arizona has my vote, as soon as I walked on I was invited on two separate jumps and had to decide which group to jump with, the people are awsome, the dzo is very cool They had skydive oregons caravan when I was there......kinda funny to go that far just to jump a local plane.......

cant wait to go back!

I'm thinking a Caravan puts it out of the small DZ category! I don't think anything bigger than say a 206 & a TwinBo would qualify as "small." :P

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Emerald Coast in Elberta, AL. That's big compared to my usual dz's, but still small and cozy.

Thank-you! B|Emerald Coast is my home dz and therefore it gets my vote! Good people, Large landing area and great beach jumps! I think it's a fun dz!

Danielle

"Life is either a great adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

>to me Elsinore is a small dz. Why would it be funny?

It's like saying that Chicago is a small city because LA is bigger.

Yah... I wouldn't call my home DZ a small one (I'm pretty sure its the biggest in wisconsin) and I'm sure if any of the people saying elsinore is small came to my DZ they wouldn't know what to say about it (actually I would guess they would think its a Tiny DZ)

I have only been to one other DZ, they had 2 182s and lots of really nice people... Skydive Wissota.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Hey fast - In Baldwin we have an Otter for the summer. Does that make it bigger than Sky Knights for that part of the year? (else it's 2-182's, a 206 and a Beaver the rest of the season).

The Skydive Wissota (Chippawa Falls) crowd is one of the absolute best little DZs around and has some of the best home taught RW'ers in the region as far as I'm concerned (little? just a couple cessnas). This is a fun crowd.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'm thinking a Caravan puts it out of the small DZ category!***

LOL, it was on lease for a while as I understood it, they didnt get to keep it.....

Will there be jumping this friday night? I have till 7pm untill I have to pick up my son.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I'm thinking a Caravan puts it out of the small DZ category!***

LOL, it was on lease for a while as I understood it, they didnt get to keep it.....

Will there be jumping this friday night? I have till 7pm untill I have to pick up my son.

I'm not sure if we have a pilot, but I imagine so. I know I'll be there for 4 FJC students.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Skydive Taft in California. Great People, good times. 2 SUPER C-182's and the winter home for Mike Mullin's Super King air.

-----------------------------------------------
The difference between fear and respect is knowledge. Learn more about what your doing and you won't be afraid to do it.

Skydive Temple, hands down!!! One C182 and one C206. Everyone treats you like family regardless of your backgrounds/skillset/knowledge. It is a badass place to be PERIOD. The owner is like none other I have ever seen. His main focus is not turning a buck like every other DZO I hear about. He has done MANY things for me that others would charge out the ass for.

Props to Skydive Temple in Texas.

Ditto! Out of the over 70+ DZ's I've visited Temple really does rock for a small DZ!

Now for a medium sized DZ I'll have to go with my home DZ "Goldcoast Skydivers" in Moss Point, MS. Home of the "Mardi gras Boogie", these are some of the friendliest folks around, and I've been around!
They fly a Otter and have the most awesome bathrooms and showers with all amenities provided... Soap, shampoo even towels for those who forgot their own.
Y'all com'on down for a little southern hospitality;)

A few others included in my list would be,

CPI- Ellington, CT (Medium sized DZ)
Freefall Express- Mt. Vernon, MO
Skydive Tulsa- Tulsa, OK
Tri-State Skydivers- Southpoint, OH
East Texas Skydiving Club- Gladewater, TX
Skydive Snohomish- Snohomish, WA
Lincoln Sport parachute Club- Weeping Water, NB? (Nebraska)
Denver Skydivers- Brush, CO
Alabama Skydiving Center- Pell City, AL (small/med dz)

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

Skydive Temple, hands down!!! One C182 and one C206. Everyone treats you like family regardless of your backgrounds/skillset/knowledge. It is a badass place to be PERIOD. The owner is like none other I have ever seen. His main focus is not turning a buck like every other DZO I hear about. He has done MANY things for me that others would charge out the ass for.

Props to Skydive Temple in Texas. B|

Haven't been to that one though it is very near Austin. The one I've been to sure does rock - Austin Skydiving Center in Lexington TX! Did 2 more jumps there on Saturday morning B| I don't see the DZ mentioned a lot on the forums, in fact hardly at all, but the atmosphere and the peeps are great and deserve lots of praise.
as for Temple, i sure do want to visit it after getting my A, along with SDSM, SD Houston, Spaceland, and whatever else isn't far from home.;)

Hey fast - In Baldwin we have an Otter for the summer. Does that make it bigger than Sky Knights for that part of the year? (else it's 2-182's, a 206 and a Beaver the rest of the season).

The Skydive Wissota (Chippawa Falls) crowd is one of the absolute best little DZs around and has some of the best home taught RW'ers in the region as far as I'm concerned (little? just a couple cessnas). This is a fun crowd.

Dunno, maybe :P:)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka