chuteless

no more skydiving for me

Hope your healing process will speed up.

If good wishes are worth anything you have all mine. we first met in 1973 I think it was, at the old Port Severn drop zone.
Remember the hart?
You were an insperation to a lot of us newbies at the time and from the post here are still an insperation to a lot of people today.

A man can seldom recieve better praise then the unqualified respect of his peers, and I dare say you have ours.

Blue skies and long life to you Bill
Watch my video Fat Women
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWkEky8GoI

Hey Bill,

June 5th was the last time I flew a plane. When I flew you to the DZ where you were hurt. I know you have told me endlessly that the accident was not my fault....
I still can't help but feel responsible. I encouraged you to make that jump.

I hate like heck that the only jump I ever saw you make, was your Last.

I AM SO sorry that you are not healing.
I hope the ultrasound gives a clearer picture of what is wrong so the docs can fix you up and get rid of your pain.

Maybe next year, you will be healed and will come back out of retirement:)

You are STILL in my prayers †
Feel Better Soon!!

Cin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
earthbound misfit

Bill,

I perceive that our first jump together will be that one where no canopy is required, and the direction of travel is 180 deg's out...

Thanks for your model of decency, while being a leader, explorer, and teacher...
...A great role model... er except for that chuteless jump thing. I'm certainly not going to emulate that prior to the aforementioned jump UP into the heavens.

Russ

Generally, it is your choice; will your life serve as an example... or a warning?

DEAR BILL

I've apreciated your wisdom and help and adivce along my journey into this sport...
and all your VALUABLE EXPERIENCE will always be welcome and appreciated.
Please keep it on a coming for all of us...
especially us INFO. HUNGRY STUDENTS & NEWBIES!

GOD BLESS ya my SKYBROTHER!
HEAL WELL:)

Bill,
Page 15 of my Skydiving Log Sums it up best. Thanks for taking the time to council me early on (Years Ago) and influence me to stay in the sport. I hope I have as good of a run as you did. If you ever would like to make another jump, it would be my privledge and honor to take you tandem. May your body catch up with your spirit, and heal fast.

Everybody.....HIM!!!, HIM!!! ..........

BASE 3:16 - Even if you are about to land on a cop - DONT FORGET TO FLARE!
Free the soul -- DJ

Wow! Where do I start Bill. I am 41 now and have known "Uncle" Bill now for about 35 years, all I can say is I have never known anybody so fasinating in all my life. I can remember, as a kid probably 8 years old looking up in the air for Bill and my Dad's (George) chute to open so I could run out into the field to meet them. And I'll never never forget the look on his face when I told him I was joining the NAVY! 16 years ago "The Navy!!!" why the hell join the NAVY - mmmm... I'm thinking he wanted me to go Coastguard maybe :) Good going Bill! I can only hope to contribute as much in my lifetime.

Gary Drainville
Halifax, NS

> A couple of days ago, I made the decision to retire from active jumping.

Well !

That left me feeling thoughtful.

I don't have such an abrupt end point in mind,
but I can tell that my attention has been turning
toward future vistas for a while now, like I'm
becoming transparent at the drop zone.

I don't think we ever met, but I've certainly been
hearing about you for decades.

So thanks.

Maybe we're about to find out who we're going
to be when we grow up :-) :-)

Skr

Skratch, you were never transparent to me. I felt so fortunate to have the opportunity to pick your brain with the trivial questions I had during AFF and afterwards. I felt privileged to jump with you, Jump #29 for me. You let me spot for our Hop n Pop (or clear and pull as you call it;)), and we both had our first jump on our brand new canopies. I remember that day well..I jumped with a Legend in the sport of skydivingB|
I'd like to publicly say "Thanks so much for giving so much back to this sport!" Outside of skydiving, you're an amazing man as well!

I would like to extend my hand to you for being one
of the true pioneers of this sport. I have never met you but your name is a household word. I read the
thread about your life in skydiving and had to read it
twice. Well done Bill. Heal fast brother, then write a
book.

Larry

PS: you must have a speed bag bigger than a hot air balloon.

Bill, I have enjoyed all of the PM'ing we did back and forth, and am really sorry that you didn't get the chance to come to Rantoul as you had hoped this year. I do hope that I get to meet you in person in the near future. Be sure that when you do go to dz's you still carry your logbook(s) People like me LOVE to peruse them!
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Bill, as I was checking some posts, i just came across this one and did not realize that your silence could have been due to the injuries.[:/].

I had the priviledge and honor of having your presence as a guest in my house. Once again I take the opportunity to thank you for what you have done for our sport, and sharing the pics, logbooks, and memorabilia.

I am saddened by this decision but hope that you will heal soon, with that faith of yours, it should not be impossible at all.

God bless you and look forward to visit you after I get back home.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

Uh, Chuteless, hate to burst your bubble, but you'll never ever be done with this sport. YOU'RE A LEGEND, MAN! And a living legend at that~!~

You tell your grandkids to contact me someday and I'll send them some cool scrapbook pages of the log entries, demo team patch, and photos you sent me. They are in good hands for now...but belong to your family.

Purple Skies Forever, Donna
Attitude is everything!

Thats very nice of you...but I don't agree with this "legend stuff"

I was just a jumper who enjoyed what he was doing...bending the rules and having a great time.

CSPA was my promotion manager, and it was all fun because it was all experimental...now many would say I was just mental.

Thanks for your kind words, and those of the others who posted.....you are my family

Bill Cole D-41

Mr. Bill,

You have been such a great asset to our skydiving community. Your stories and adventures have sparked great enthusiasm for many, including myself. I have fond memories of riding in that raft with you for my first raft dive and reading your scrap books. Thanks for the jump!

I sincerely hope you stay in touch and keep inspiring young jumpers the way you have been. Your energy and attitude are nothing short of awesome.

Congratulations on a great run in the sport!

Stay in touch!
Liz

I may monitor the "forums" once in awhile, but won't be taking an active part in them. Thanks to everyone who made it a good ride. I enjoyed meeting many of you this summer , but I am finished with the sport as of now.

Bill, your input here has always been very helpful and impactful to me as a novice. Please don't be a stranger around here.

Thanks for your contribution to the sport. It was really nice meeting you in Eloy and I hope to see you around at one of those big events down the road.:)
Katie

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

Hi Bill,
I know we will keep in touch for as long as we're here!
I'm glad I met you, and was a definte pleasure
helping with that Cadillac tire! hahahWhew!
Too bad my pics did not come out very good at all with you and Michelle & MJOSPARKY.
Gary Calhoun