chuteless

no more skydiving for me

A couple of days ago, I made the decision to retire from active jumping. I've been at it for 42 years, and have had a great time, and have absolutely no regrets except I didn't start earlier.

I lived on the air show circuit, did stunt jumps for television and other films, including many television commercials, both filming them and jumping for the cameras.I've managed many high altitude jumps, and whether CSPA says so or not, I still hold the Canadian High Alt record after more than 30 years. Its been a continuous party since Aug 5th 1962. I have really enjoyed this sport .

The real good days are long gone, the sport has changed in many ways, and not all for the better.

Although I like the new equipment, it is well beyond my ability to own it, and I must say, I liked the older equipment more, like the Para-Commander,and the Delta II Parawing.

I loved doing openings between the ground and 700 ft, but would not do them with today's equipment. Dumping out of the bi-plane in a loop at 1200 ft during an air show was the most thrilling of all jumps.

Things have changed, and so is my ability to heal from crash and burn landings.

I ended my jumping career with such a landing in Missouri on June 5th. I broke my left heel, ankle, and other footbones, and the foot is still swollen after more than 12 weeks.

. I recently had more Xrays taken to see if in fact, the spine is damaged. Next is an ultrasound, to determine what else was done to cause the intense pain in both sides and my back.

I may monitor the "forums" once in awhile, but won't be taking an active part in them. Thanks to everyone who made it a good ride. I enjoyed meeting many of you this summer , but I am finished with the sport as of now.

Stay safe, and enjoy all the sky has to offer....its limitless.

Bill Cole D-41 :ph34r:

Bill,

All I can really say is thanks. You are a leader in the sport, and I looked up to you. I enjoyed your stories, and I appreciated your exploits.

Blue Skies,
Ron

Him, Him.......
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

What a great run you had! I've never met you, but have followed some of your exploits with interest and admiration. A lot of people have more jumps, but very few have pushed the limits like you did. You seem like a "character who has character", if that makes any sense. Best wishes for whatever is next.

So glad i met you over Memorial Day at SGC. You are so awesome Bill. Thanks for sharing your scrapbooks and stories. You're one of a kind and will be missed.

*Hugs* and heal well.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Not a bad run Bill. Good luck to you and everything you do. Sorry to see that the desision to leave is due to an injury but at least you have the choice to make.

I know that jumpers such as yourself have had an influence well beyond what you may realize. Your presence is interwoven into everything that we are now and I thank you for your contribution.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

I know that jumpers such as yourself have had an influence well beyond what you may realize. Your presence is interwoven into everything that we are now and I thank you for your contribution.

Couldn't have said it better.

Bill, thanks for all you have done to lead the way in skydiving for us.

Heal well.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Something Bill said in 1972 . . .

"During the interview he was asked to comment on whether it could be feasible to jump from the side of the Grand Canyon. Bill answered that it could be done. When CSPA heard his comments they were misconstrued and he was once again suspended for life."

Bill,

There's a whole generation of elder jumpers grappling with the same thoughts as you.

When you wrap your entire life around parachutes it's very hard to walk away. But after living through the military stage, hippie stage, yuppie stage, and now whatever you want to call the current stage of skydiving, with all the recycled BS, we can certainly hold up our heads and say enough is enough.

Collectively CSPA, BPA, and USPA – is like a king who looks out the window to see all their subjects running down the street and says, "There goes my people, I must find out where they are going so I can lead them."

It's always amazed me that such a dynamic sport is overseen by such a stodgy bunch of conservative thinkers.

I think you (and some others) deserve the USPA Lifetime Achievement Award. But, USPA will wait until our generation is dead and buried to realize that fact. This year's award reminds me of a refrain heard over and over again at Lake Elsinore many years ago, "Gee, another award for Al Krueger," Except for a couple of exceptions that award always goes to USPA insiders. Of course Al deserves it, but it's just so typically mainstream in a sport that's anything but.

http://www.parachutehistory.com/skydive/uspa/achaward.html

Anyways, there is life after skydiving, come to Bridge Day this year and we'll carry you around on our shoulders . . .

Nick :)BASE 194

Bill, you have my and many others' respect for what you have done in this sport. :)
I am sad that my ankle was hurt, and I couldn't meet up with you when you were out here. I still hope that we can meet up at some point. Most importantly, I hope that you are able to eventually recover well from your injuries. You are in my prayers.

42 years of skydiving, esp. stunt work, is just AMAZING, Bill. This one's for you, my friend! :D

Thank you for your contributions and all you have done for the sport. Hope you heal soon. Best of luck and make sure you hang out and chat around the Bonfire. :)
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

You sir are an inspiration. A true class act. Many of your posts have been enlightening to me. Hope you heal well and wish you the best. A true pioneer-period,many alleged "skygods" that talk their shit today should pay homage.
Freedom isn't free. Don't forget: Mother Earth is waiting for you--there is a debt you have to pay...... POPS #9329 Commercial Pilot,Instrument MEL

Bill,

I was honored to meet you at SD Dallas over the summer. I can say nothing about your career in skydiving that would do it justice so I'll just say, "Thank You"

Please do come back to dz.com often. While you might not be jumping anymore you can share some of your wisdom with us.

Blue Skies,
Ron
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Bill, I have a feeling that ten years from now (if I'm still jumping, God willing), I will look back and say that one of my favorite jumps was the jump I did with you at Skydive Greene County on my 28th jump.

You're a good person. I hope that your retiring from skydiving does not include your disappearing from this message board, and dropzones around the world.

God bless you and yours.

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

Bill,
It was my honor to have had the chance to meet you and spend some time, although far too short, talking with you. You are truly one of the Icons of our sport. God bless you always.

Yeah, what he said.

May God keep you close to Him always. Blessed be.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Thank you for moving our sport forward.
Please do more than monitor the forums...
Your experiences are something that we can all appreciate and learn from.

Blues

jib

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt