deaflamb

Moving During This Season

Got a question.

This season I wnat to go through AFF and get my A licensce. Currently I'm at school in maine about 45 min from skydive New England. Starting June 1st I'll be living in NC about 45 min from Skydive Smokey Mountains. I'm real bad at saving money so pretty much want to jump as I have it. Would it be a bad Idea to start jumping at the beginning of the season in maine and then finish the AFF program down in TN? The reason is since I'm bad at saving if I start earlier in the season I have a better chance of getting all the way through A licencse requirements before I move back to school. If I wait till I'm in TN I would probably have to finish A license back in Maine at the tail end of the season with a lot less money available (need to find job).

Any Ideas on how I should approach this. Thanks for the help.

Ray
Happy Trails

If you can finish AFF all in one place it is better. . .Once on solo student status, moving to a new dropzone is easier. . .but don't let the fact that you are moving stop you. Plenty of people have started AFF at one dropzone and finished at another. . .just be sure to keep your logbook and records up to date. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

Well, depends on you...I did my AFF here at skydive New England in 4 days. It was a 10 jump program at the time. By the end of the week I had 25 jumps. I bought the package deal, so I didnt have to deal with money, plus you get 3 "extra" jumps during your AFF if you dont complete a level. If you pass through AFF without repeating any of them...those 3 jumps will go towards your coaching jumps for your A license. I guess what I am getting at is...if you want it bad enough and you can part with the money up front...it will be no problem. That would be the best case scenario...

What are your limitations???? We open in the beginning of April...2 months do to 25 jumps??? Do you think that you would be able to dedicate the time and effort??? Thats a question you have to answer.

As far as finishing at another place...typically that isnt a problem. I would find out what type of gear both DZs have. It can present problems if you are still doing AFF and the gear is different. We use throw out P/Cs w/ a 2 handle system, if you go to another DZ that uses ripcords and SOS...then it will require changing your emergency and deployment procedures...not a major thing, but a pain in the ass and potentially dangerous.

I dont know if you have called SNE, but I can run you through the program and give you further thoughts on it.

I don't have the cash to drop all at once on the package deal. If I can find a job when I get back to school (i'm on break right now) I might be abel to afford one AFF jump a week. That gives me eight weeks which equals eight jumps. I guess as long as I don't have to repeat a level I could do it. That is if I can drop some weight before april. The weight limit is 220 right?

Thanks
Happy Trails

225...anyways, if you definately know that you have a good possibility of splitting it up between DZs, then I would make sure that they have similar training programs and gear. Give me a shout at the DZ on Monday or Tuesday and we can chat further.

Do you guys really hold hard & true to 225 absolutely? ...What about the guy who may be 6'4" but athletic / in excellent shape at 250? 260 and a heavyweight body builder or football player?

Shoot, good thing I've already been in it for a while I guess, or I might be pushing "sorry Charlie" territory now myself!
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Yeah being just naturally big sucks. I'm 6' 2'' and just a big guy. I do have a beer belly which is what I want to loose so hopefully I can get to 225. I was 250 when I did my first two jumps. They let me get away with it for the tandems (don't know why) but said I would need to get to 235 once I was doing solo jumps.

How strict are most DZ?
Happy Trails

I have had a couple of green bottles and we got snow on the ground so my motivation to go look isnt terribly high right now...so...my understanding is that it has to do with the maximum weight for a terminal opening on a reserve...Again, I dont have the details, so dont hold me to it, but that is my uderstanding. We have rigs that hold big guys...6'4'', etc...but the reserve is the issue...dont want one blowing up on opening.

I do have a beer belly...

Shit, that just makes for a better naturally built-in arch! ;) Just take a look at my own avatar, man :P

I believe there are several reserve/harness combo's that can by TSO accomodate more than 250lbs single pax. However, I will defer to others with probably greater knowledge on that. Safety is always the #1 concern. Depending upon student equipment type availability, and always the discretion of your jumpmasters on site, size definitely can be more of a challenge. That said, I think there were some threads in here, may be some time ago now, that discussed DZ's that had both the equipment, and the ability to handle larger students. ---Might be worth a search to find.

It's not just the "strictness" (or therefore implied - "looseness") of the DZ at all.

If it's just a matter of losing a few EXCESS pounds, I'm sure you'll be okay ---and will be better off overall anyway for actually doing it! Good luck to you in your endeavor to get out there "on your own".

-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone