runDMsef

Tandem "rental" prices

Every year I plan a trip to the DZ for friends and co-workers to do their first tandem jumps. In refreshing my memory on how much it will cost, I went to the DZ's web site to do some investigation. On the home page, it advertised "Tandem Skydive Only $165!!!” I thought "wow, that's a pretty good price". However, buried deeper in the web site is the note "add $30 for rental gear".

I find this kind of crap annoying. Why lure someone in with one price, only to introduce a secondary cost that they obviously cannot go without. It's a pricey activity, why sugar coat it by breaking it up into smaller "additions". When non-skydivers ask "how much does a tandem cost?” they want to know HOW MUCH IT WILL COST! Not how much the jump will cost in theory, without gear. What keeps them from saying "$20 Tandem Skydives" with the addition of $175 other fees (gear, aircraft, tandem master, fuel, fun tax, etc)? It just seems disingenuous. Whose bright idea was this anyways?

~run (off of soapbox now)

Because businesses are about luring people in the door, once they are lured in, they generally stay, even when surprised by surcharges. I see it all the time in my field, and it royally bugs me. People are basically stupid lemmings that follow the lowest prices regardless of quality or ethics or surcharges that may apply, they only care about what that surface price is.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

What DZ were you looking at?

www.freefalladventures.com

A.K.A. Skydive CrossKeys

What lead you to post this in Speakers Corner?

I saw Speakers Corner as "A Soap Box in Cyber Space". I guess my soap box isn't politically motivated, so maybe I should move it to another board. My apologies if this is OT, but I didn't know of a more appropriate board.

I wonder if you could show up with your own helmet, goggles, and harness and do it for $165. Surely the TM's chute is included in the price. I agree that it's a crappy way to advertise, but they are staying busy. I don't know if I would want to trust my life to some organization that deceptive.

Because it is perfectly legal, and they obiously think they attract more customers that way. From what I hear they ARE pretty busy.

Don't like it? Vote with your feet.

At Quincy one year, the bi-plane was charging $80 for the ride. Once you get there, they say "Oh... for an additional $20, you get the 'acrobatic' ride." :o Huh? Aren't I going for a ride in an "acrobatic" plane?

Since pics were extra beyond that, I decided to spend the money on three rides on the Bell 412 instead and take my own pics. B|

I don't know about other drop zones, as the only one I've been to so far is Crosskeys, but most places (skating rinks, hockey rinks, skiing, etc) do exactly the same thing. The rental fee is always listed separately because some people do have their own gear. I see nothing wrong with this and during my short time in the sport and reading posts on here, i get the feeling that the instructors there are very good.

...but most places (skating rinks, hockey rinks, skiing, etc) do exactly the same thing. The rental fee is always listed separately because some people do have their own gear.

Tandem students don not have their own gear, ever. Crosskeys is a good and reputable drop zone, but their break out of equipment rental is a nasty scam that is far beneath them.

Check out the front page of their site at http://www.freefalladventures.com/, then click on the "First Skydive" link. The front page doesn't even mention the added gear cost. The inside page does, but it is an absolute disgrace.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Oh come on! That's not a valid comparison! You cannot compare making a tandem skydive to going bowling or skating. How many first time skydivers have their own tandem rig for the jumpmaster and student harness for themselves? No one is questioning the quality of their jumpmasters, but it is blatantly deceptive advertising.

I checked my DZs website just in case they were doing the same thing- they aren't. I haven't had the time to check to see if any other DZs are doing that.

Ok, that's a good point about the tandem students not having their own gear, but I still don't see anything wrong with separating the rental price from the base price.

On the other hand, the rental price not being listed with that base price every place it's listed, isn't a good thing. They should at least have it somewhere on that page.

But yeah you're right about added fees. If I'm trying out say, skydiving, for the first time and I get there and find out it's gonna cost me $30 more, chances are I'll pay it just for the experience.

Its a way to make more money. Plain and simple.

Stupid I think. But to each thier own I guess.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Exactly, if you're shopping around checking out the different dzs in the area, you might just end up at the place with the lowest posted price. Of course, once you're there, you find out the real price, (probably the same or even more than the other places you checked out) but you've already made your plans and the other place is perhaps 90 miles in the opposite direction so you suck it up and pay the extra money. I would call that a deceptive business practice.

I think it's a pretty poor business practice just due to the fact that day since I did make the drive etc. I might go ahead and cough up the 30 bucks for gear rental but i'm sure as shit not tipping anyone and would look elsewhere If wanted to continue with AFF etc. Pretty lame in my book

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

When you show up and they hit you up for the gear rental, tell 'em "fuck you, lets go without the gear" If they refuse start raising hell about false adveretisement:P

Maybe that will get their attention:P

"The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few, or the one" - rehmwa

At Quincy one year, the bi-plane was charging $80 for the ride. Once you get there, they say "Oh... for an additional $20, you get the 'acrobatic' ride." Huh? Aren't I going for a ride in an "acrobatic" plane

actually no. You were taking a ride in an airplane that is built to withstand "AEROBATICS". That doesnt mean they have to do them.

"It seemed like a good idea at the time"

"When you show up and they hit you up for the gear rental, tell 'em "fuck you, lets go without the gear" If they refuse start raising hell about false adveretisement"

That is the right way to deal with that kind of shyster business practice.

What kind of 1st-time jumper "rents" gear? It's such a bait-and-switch tactic. I'm wondering what the local AG thinks about it . . . .
“Keep your elbow up!"

I think it's a pretty poor business practice just due to the fact that day since I did make the drive etc. I might go ahead and cough up the 30 bucks for gear rental but i'm sure as shit not tipping anyone and would look elsewhere If wanted to continue with AFF etc. Pretty lame in my book

Ethics and laws aside, this doesn't strike me as an intelligent business strategy. You don't get good referrals from other one and done tandem customers and it definitely would kill the tips and perhaps hurt the video sales.

Airlines got tagged for advertizing fares but then tacking on a fuel surcharge or other fees that clearly were not add ons. The same applies to tandem rental charges; if anyone there made a fuss, they'd have to stop.

When you show up and they hit you up for the gear rental, tell 'em "fuck you, lets go without the gear" If they refuse start raising hell about false adveretisement:P

Maybe that will get their attention:P

Just my luck, I'd be your tandem master that day.:S You only need a chute if you want to jump twice.