chineseknife

breathing?

The osmosis thing is a myth and a joke.

The reason why opening your mouth in freefall is sometimes discouraged with new jumpers is that they get a mouth full of air and a bit of gag reflex, which makes it seem like they can't breath. At that point a student might panic, so some instructors tell their students to keep their mouth shut to make it easier to breath.

:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Welcome to the sport. You have already made six posts asking basic questions, and might be better served by checking the USPA site at: http://www.uspa.org/about/index.htm. There is a great beginner FAQ on that site, and you will probably pick up tons of information by just lurking here. Be cautious about reading forum posts...sometimes the information can be incorrect. It's tough to know who is really posting, in spite of the profiles.

If you are interested in more comprehensive information, try picking up my book called JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy published by McGraw-Hill last year. It was written specifically for beginners, and should answer all your questions. Another solid book is Parachuting: The Skydivers Handbook by Turoff and Poynter. Both books are available at many local booksellers, and on the internet at places like Amazon.com.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Don't worry about the other's joking with this post or the other's you've made. It's fun to see them.

Just out of interest... were you told that to clear the poped sensation in your ears you should hold your ancles and jump up and down?

Sometimes exp. jumpers have fun with tandem passengers and feed them jokes like these... hopefully you'll agree it's completely harmless and just a bit of fun.

Osmosis - no
Parachute going up when it opens - no
holding ancles and hopping - no

those and a whole host of other little one liners built up over the years.

Once you've done a training course and a jump or two you'll soon be able to spot the shit from the corn. ;)

Osmosis - no
Parachute going up when it opens - no
holding ancles and hopping - no

but clucking like a chicken in free fall will clear the clouds from you sinuses, some SDC tandem masters even have a hand signal for this .. it is critical clouds in your sinuses can cause serious health problems if you take them to the ground with you ;):P:D:D:D

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

I had trouble breathing during my first free fall.
This is what happend to me, I think:
a. I had a good case of sensory overload
b. I had my mouth open ( was very much "awestruck")

On the second jump I kept my mouth shut and told myself to breath in and out a couple of times. Then my brain took it over again. Kinda had to jump start it.

I think it is just overwhelming (sensory overload) for some people and your brain forgets to tell you to breath. Just "remind" it next time.