grlsgotalot2lrn

issues

thanks for all the tips so far - i have a couple more questions. On my first tandem, i experienced 2 things i hope to improve for next time. any advice is always appreciated.
first, i felt like i couldn't breathe for a few brief moments. Was this because I opened my mouth as i screamed with joy(quite a charming picture though). Or was it more mental(i think i was concentrating more on smiling for the video guy than i was breathing).
Also i felt a lot of cold wind rushing on my eyes. is this typical? I put my goggles on at about 13000 ft, we jumped at 14000, so I essentially had no time to do any adjustments.
ok. one more question(for now[:/])- at what jump number - range- does sensory overload start to decrease?

hope to jump sunday at carolina skydive, can't wait to see some of the canopy work going on at the camp

Quite a few students complain about breathing in freefall, I believe its due to a few reasons. Firstly, the adreniline gets'em every time. Secondly, a lot of them have their mouths open, so air is being forced into their mouth and quite possibly creating a gag reflex. Getting a chance before you leave the plane to take a couple of deep breaths and relax a bit helps a lot with being relaxed in freefall. That'll help you breath and you'll perform better in freefall.

Also i felt a lot of cold wind rushing on my eyes. is this typical? I put my goggles on at about 13000 ft, we jumped at 14000, so I essentially had no time to do any adjustments.

Tell your instructor the googles didn't fit you too well. You could also purchase better fitting googles for your skydives. The student googles I use are more of a "one size fits most" but doesn't really fit every student perfectly, they're just the best all around pair I've found. Also, if TI's let the student put googles on when they really wanted to, they'd wear them from takeoff till dinner, the googles would fog, be uncomfortable and sweaty.

Just talk to your TI about it and I'm sure he/she will help you out.

As for sensory overload, it takes time, there's no magic number but the more jumps you get and the more training you get as time goes on, it all helps.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."