Spatula

"You can do everything right and still die in this sport".

>If it was a good pack job, that still leaves poor body position, as in
>one shoulder low.

One of those mals happened to me on a tandem, and we were about as stable as tandems get.

In general, when it comes to malfunctions, I tend to believe what PD says about their parachutes, which is that parachute systems sometimes fail to operate properly, even when properly assembled, packed and operated. They've been making and testing parachutes long enough to know that that statement is true. Usually they work great, but sometimes they simply malfunction even if everything else is perfect.

I think a lot of people out there would like to believe that every mal or every incident can be traced to someone's "fault" - that way, as long as they avoid that mistake, they will be fine. The idea that you can do everything right and still die is a scary one, but is part of the risk every skydiver takes.

I think a lot of people out there would like to believe that every mal or every incident can be traced to someone's "fault"

If the time is taken to do complete investigation, every malfunction and incident can be traced to a "cause". I am not a big believer in FM, or "just because". Everything that happens has a cause. Just because it cannot be identified with a cursory investigation does not mean it does not exist.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

>Everything that happens has a cause.

While I agree, sometimes the cause is that the random motion of the parachute's components caused a mal. A parchute opening is a chaotic event; there's no accurate way to predict exactly where each bit of fabric and each line is going to go. It is a testament to the design of parachutes nowadays that 99.9% of openings are fine, but there's always that .1% when all your probability distributions hit the far side of the curve and you get a lineover anyway.

>Everything that happens has a cause.

While I agree, sometimes the cause is that the random motion of the parachute's components caused a mal. A parchute opening is a chaotic event; there's no accurate way to predict exactly where each bit of fabric and each line is going to go. It is a testament to the design of parachutes nowadays that 99.9% of openings are fine, but there's always that .1% when all your probability distributions hit the far side of the curve and you get a lineover anyway.

While you agree, you are still going to contend that there is no cause. Wrong. I know it hurts, but you should try saying it, just once.

Everything that happens has a cause.

What if the cause isn't you? What if the cause is totally out of your control and you are doing everything right.

example - Landing and someone else takes you out? This has happened to a few people. Some post here and lived to tell about it.

There is nothing you were doing wrong. You were doing everything right and still died.

another example - other people doing things that knock you unconscious.

>While you agree, you are still going to contend that there is no cause.
>Wrong. I know it hurts, but you should try saying it, just once.

Give John LeBlanc a call at PD. He has a pretty good explanation of his company's warning that even 'perfect' parachutes can malfunction.

>While you agree, you are still going to contend that there is no cause.
>Wrong. I know it hurts, but you should try saying it, just once.

Give John LeBlanc a call at PD. He has a pretty good explanation of his company's warning that even 'perfect' parachutes can malfunction.

Have John call me.B|