darrenm

info for a beginner

Just a few questions from a complete beginner.
I had my first tandem just last weekend and am really looking forward to getting into this.

I was wondering what steps to take, I know my next step is my second tandem and after that the four hour course. I have seen people posting about a canopy course. Should I also take this before my first AFF? Is four hours enough? Seeing in the incident room alot of posts on improper landing that is a concern.

I saw a show on military HALO last night and they had a one week course including wind tunnels and they were still wobbling like maniacs on their first jump.

I don't think I will be a difficult student but just want to go into this with the best possible training.

Thanks in advance y'all
Darren

First off welcome to the world of skydiving.

Some DZ's will let you go right to AFF at this point if they offer it. Some DZ's only have tandem progression.

The military trains differently than the civilian world. It would great if every dz had a wind tunnel but only a few have one close by.

You need to decide what dz you want to start your training at and what they require, call them and ask, they should be more than happy to answer your questions. The canopy course is for later.

Class time depends on how well the student are "getting it". Some classes may take 4 hours some may take 6 or 7.

Good luck!
Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Just give Spaceland a call and get signed up. The will give you all the information you need.

Dropzones around the country have different training methods and pre-req's. So, if you hear that John Doe didn't have to do 2 tandems, its probably because he was trained elsewhere. It doesn't make it better at one place or another (although many here will debate that), but depending on their staff, airplanes, and/or student gear situation can depend on how you are trained.

Good luck have fun and relax!
Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I would be training at Spaceland in Houston. They say *two tandem , one four hour course and 18 AFF with instructer*

Im presuming your mic'd for instruction but those first few landings or gusts could be painful

Should I also take this before my first AFF? Is four hours enough? Seeing in the incident room alot of posts on improper landing that is a concern.

I graduated the AFP program at Spaceland. Yes you wear a radio on all your student jumps. You will be given a big enough canopy and the instructor will help you with the flare so don't worry about that.

Just talk to your instructor about your concerns. Skydive Spaceland has great instructors IMO.

Kris.
P.S : do you recognize the blue student jumpsuit from my profile pic?

you'll get all the info you need about piloting your canopy on your jump course. Don't worry too much about canopy courses just yet - it's kinda like taking an advanced driving test - learn to drive first, then learn to do it better. B|

glad you had fun. Welcome to skydiving!

First 18 jumps are $130 each? That sounds high. I would expect jump 8 - 10 to drop to $50 or so since you should only need a coach at that point. Maybe I am missing something like video but I still can't see that price for that many jumps.

They are 130 each. My bad.
Check here

The AFP is different from the AFF.

Comparision here

The pricing for AFP is different from AFF. See here

Kris.

Man I know this is crazy, I'm selling a camper and a motorcycle already. I shouldnt need to buy anything on my own just yet, but the first 18 jumps are 130 each.

Yep, I just sold my motorcycle too and plan to purchase my first rig with the money. I've been using rental gear for the whole first year I have been jumping

PcCoder.net

It looks like STP means Student Training Program. I guess when you do the math it all adds up to about $2000 no matter which way you slice it up. $249 for AFF FJC, 2 jumps at $169, 3 jumps at $139, 12 jumps at $50 = ~$1800 at our DZ, their course ~$2000. You would think being an engineer that math would be my strong area:P

What's in the middle of the Pentagram? Sorry, can't make it out.

RUSH album cover!! Kickin' band!

I am about to make my jump into the sport too. I have been through the Army Airborne school and then I went to Orlando to try Skyventure and then I went to Deland and Palatka to check out the action and I am HOOKED!!!!!! As soon as I get back inport and off this BIG gray floating Airport (Aircraft Carrier) I'll be heading out to the DZ and taking my plunge. Still trying to decide on AFF or Static though. Either course Costs right about $1,000.
Your Tandem progression sounds like a good way to go too. Let us know how you do! It is great not being a "LEG".