Vallerina

Drugs on a dz

It's not that subsatnce abuse is part of the sport, it's part of the culture of mankind. Thats why we try to teach teenagers 'defensive driving'. You never know what the other guy is going to do.

The pilot has a responsibilty to not allow anyone to jump who appears under the influnce. Accordingly, those who indulge while jumping will put some effort into being discreet with thier actions. This includes keeping it quiet around those who may disapprove (such as those who don't partake after hours).

All you can do is watch out for yourself in general. The obvious is to not broad a plane with someone you know to be impaired, or you know has a history of jumping impaired.

What's not so obvious in not to assume that anyone is OK without a long standing personal relationship. As many have stated already, big name organizers and world champs are not immune to this problem.

I was at a boogie once, and was invited on an 8 or 10 way freefly by one of the participants who I sort of knew. I didn't know anyone else, and didn't want to be in the middle of that many unknowns, so I asked for an outside video slot, and kept my eye on everyone, and tracked off just a bit early. I had fun and didn't put myself into a situation I thought might have been sketchy.

For the most part, jump and enjoy yourself. The answer is not to do solos all day long, but just to be aware, and keep some of the things I've said in the back of your head. You can take care of yourself, and have fun at the same time.

however POT IS NOT A DRUG.....anything that is grow from the earth, nad not chemicaly altered is not a drug,

so this goes for magic mushrooms as well? i though it was known as the devil drug? Pot may not be a drug but THC sure is. I am not against weed, but i do know it is a drug.:S

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

This thread is going to get gooood:ph34r: I too am looking forward to the answer of this very uneducated statement.
I always thought pot was an illegal drug in the united States. Maybe it should be legal, but it would still be a drug, kind of like asprin[:/]
Main Entry: 1drug
Pronunciation: 'dr&g
Function: noun
1 a : a substance used as a medication or in the preparation of medication b according to the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (1) : a substance recognized in an official pharmacopoeia or formulary (2) : a substance intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease (3) : a substance other than food intended to affect the structure or function of the body (4) : a substance intended for use as a component of a medicine but not a device or a component, part, or accessory of a device
2 : something and often an illicit substance that causes addiction, habituation, or a marked change in consciousness

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

When it comes to hard drugs, I'm a big ol' prude. Drugs were cool when I was in high school because people in high school tend to be insecure. Grow up, people. Drugs are not cool. It is not cool to fill whatever void you have in your life with something so empty.

I really think you're lumping everyone who does drugs into one group (which is probably the smallest out there, those who do it just to be cool). I know old folks who've gone their whole lives being responsible adults and they just happen to light up at days' end in their own homes all alone watching sitcoms and eating chips. And, alcohol is definitely a hard drug, and there are a good many folks who drink because it makes them feel good... not because they are filling a void, blah blah. And, I think it's a real toss up on who's more dangerous, the guy with the bad hangover, or the one who did a line of meth an hour ago. Being 'down' might just be worse than being 'up'. I predict the guy on meth would sooner avoid you under canopy, and would probably be more altitude aware as well.

Also, there is no way to stop people from doing drugs on the dz out of sight. Nothing can be monitored 100% at all times, so there is just no way around this. If you know someone is impaired, and is on the next load, you can make the decision to inform the pilot or dzo and if nothing else, you can always stay on the ground. Otherwise, if you don't know, but suspect something, use your best judgement. I have no problem with people doing drugs after the day is done, (although I don't want to be in the presence of the consumption of many of them). However, I will damn sure not get on a load with someone who I know is f*'d up on acid or drunk or whatnot (and, btw, I do think you could probably tell . . . dialated pupils, antsyness, being overly talkative, etc are signs that someone's on a trip. And, alcohol smells and leaves people slow).
And, many, many people have done LSD in their lives, so if you're afraid someone is gonna have a flashback, it 'supposedly' could happen 3 years later or at any time, so it would be just as unsafe to jump as to drive on the freeway, or walk across the street. I don't know anyone who's had flashbacks, though, and I know a lot of people who've tripped in their lives. I'll place my bet that the guy who dropped last Saturday will be ok after a day or so and some good rest.

I think that the people who have done drugs in their past will not be as such nazis about the whole thing. That doesn't mean they want to jump with intoxicated people, it just means that they have a better understanding of what exactly goes on when you do certain drugs, how long the effects last, and even what the signs of someone on certain drugs are.

-A

***I expect everyone on the plane with to be stone cold sober
=====================================

Quit skydiving.

LOL! That's a good point! :)
Seriously, I know it is going to happen but my expectation is that everyone is sober on a plane. Are my expectation met on a regular basis, of course not. Do I engage in generalized partying after hours, of course. Do I think it’s just plane dumb to jump high on pot, alcohol or any hard drug or even an impairing prescription drug? YES! Honestly this sport has a way of weeding out the weak. The odds of someone under the influence making an incident report near you are much better than a sober person jumping making, “the news”.

Ron
(Sober on all 272 of his jumps)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

im not going to get into a big debate over this, opinions are like buttholes, we all have them. I just dont think that it should be put in the same class as "basement" drugs. I am not a big fan of drinking b/c of hangovers, so when the beer light is on, I prefer to smoke. As far as the other things that were mentioned, mushrooms, opium, ...mushrooms dont do anything for me, and yes I know what the right ones are...opium, never heard of it. Bottom line is, it is all bad when used at the wrong times or in the wrong situations...(driving drunk is just as bad, if not worse than driving stoned):S

cool, and i am not going to suggest you stop smoking, i think it is safer than drinking, i just dont smoke anymore. but in regards to this..........nothing that comes out of the earth is a drug........well myself and others are very curious as to where your logic for this statement comes from.
I support the legalisation of pot, not at a dz but in life itself. But i understand it is a drug....if it is not can you tell me why?(no pun intended) i am just willing to learn something new.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

pot is not a drug simply b/c its picked, dried & smoked, not like coke, heroin

So are Mushrooms, Peyote and many other Drugs.
You can also pick Coco Leaves and chew them to get an instant Coke like high. Most Drugs come from natural sources.

I have no problems with you choice to indulge in whatever recreational mood altering substances you choose as long as you are not Jumping while under the influence, But do not fool yourself into thinking any substance that alters your mood and effects your reflexes is not a Drug.

We all choose where to draw our personal lines.

well pot that is grown outdoors in the bush, that is not altered with chemicals but is hydroponic skunk not altered? i always thought it was. i am probably wrong But i think you have an uneducated opinion saying that pot is not a drug....it is kind of like saying skydiving is not dangerous.
end of rant,
peace.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Drugs are not cool. It is not cool to fill whatever void you have in your life with something so empty.

Do you feel the same way about alcohol? That people who get drunk are just trying to fill a void?

Just wondering.

What about those who play video games? or gamble? or shop? or eat too much chocolate? watch tv?

anything can be unhealthy in large doses .... in moderation almost anything is okay.

but then again, that simply depends on how open-minded you are .... i know people who have wasted their entire life playing video games, i also know people who have done every drug known to man and then some and will go on to lead very productive lives .....

it's not the item that makes something bad, it's the person and how the use said item.
This ad space for sale.

>>have you tried LSD? well i think half an hour after lsd....peaking at the door, you are one mad person to be doing this....i can not imagine anyone surviving a jump on LSD<<

If you're not familiar with the phrase "Windowpane Load" that's cool, it just means you didn't jump in the 1970s.

"Wow . . . everybody's pulling . . . maybe I should too."

NickD :)BASE 194

It's not for you to decide what people do is or isn't right. As long as they aren't putting you in danger - get off your high horse. Why is it they must have a 'void' if they want to take drugs. Maybe they work hard all week, and like having a bit of fun somewhere where you should be able to be yourself and relax.

I'm not in agreeance with instructors and tandem masters staying up all night then taking students, but if fun jumpers want to have a big night up at the dz then long may it remain so. It's not for the CI's to play police.

Take a chill pill.:D

i totaly agree with your stance on this fuck all those who think taking drugs is cool. 5,000 feet is not where you want to realize your messed up and cant control the situation.

don't bring it around me and don't under any circumstances let me see you doing it the night before a jump and expect to be on my lift.

period.>:(
Send lawers, guns and money!!!!!

The shit has hit the fan!

Drugs are not cool. It is not cool to fill whatever void you have in your life with something so empty.

Do you feel the same way about alcohol? That people who get drunk are just trying to fill a void?

Just wondering.

Yup. I am guilty of it. I like the taste of beer especially with spicy foods. But, beyond that, I feel ashamed when I've had too much.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

If you know someone is impaired, and is on the next load, you can make the decision to inform the pilot or dzo and if nothing else, you can always stay on the ground.

--
It's the pilot's license-so you bet I'm talking to the pilot. If the pilot loses his license, then I can't jump!

however POT IS NOT A DRUG.....anything that is grown from the earth, nad not chemicaly altered is not a drug, I am pro 420 all the way and will always will be.

That has got to be one of the most lame, retarted, ignorant statements that I have ever read.

Its Individuals that think like this that are at the root of the problem. Somehow your twisted opinion of what is right and wrong, no matter what the societal and legal census, becomes self rationalizing. No matter the drug, legal or not.........

ditto...

Main Entry: drug
Pronunciation: 'dr&g
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English drogge
1 a obsolete : a substance used in dyeing or chemical operations b : a substance used as a medication or in the preparation of medication c according to the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (1) : a substance recognized in an official pharmacopoeia or formulary (2) : a substance intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease (3) : a substance other than food intended to affect the structure or function of the body (4) : a substance intended for use as a component of a medicine but not a device or a component, part, or accessory of a device
2 : a commodity that is not salable or for which there is no demand -- used in the phrase drug on the market
3 : something and often an illegal substance that causes addiction, habituation, or a marked change in consciousness.

Personally I don't care if people blaze up on their personal time or drink themselves into a stupor, hopefully they won't board the plane in an impared condition... if I saw someone obviously toasted on the plane I would be more than happy to exit last and do a nice solo tracking dive. :P
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Ok well this is an interesting first post but here goes. Acid flash backs are a joke. They are made up. People who have them make them up in their head. The rare exception is when a situation that is similar to something that happened during a trip causes you to remember what happened during hte trip. Easiest way to explain "flashbacks" is like this. You heard lots of stories of WW2 vets getting flashbacks when the opening scene of saving private ryan was playing. Reason is these flashbacks can happen when we relive a period of profound mental impact. I would say it would be unlikely skydiving would cause any resembalance to something that happened during a trip.

Now for my opinion on drugs being used at a DZ? HELLLL NO! I'm perfectly cool with any recreational use and may even indulge a bit myself, but I will no ever consider jumping with someone after they spent their time doing lines while waiting for their plane. So drugs after the day is over, cool, during, no way.