Vallerina

Drugs on a dz

I think you are going to fell alot of talking behind your back.

That already happens.

If someone doesn't like me because I say that I don't like drugs on the dz, well, I don't really want to associate with them anyways. I never mentioned A dz because this happens at MANY dzs. Yes, I still plan on going to those dzs. There are people there who like me.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

i cant remember an issue like this that could divide us up.

It already is dividing us up. Do you know how many jumpers feel the exact same way I do but won't say anything because they don't want to be shunned from their dz?

You Americans are a huge truckload of self-righteous hypocrits when it comes to recreational drugs!
Hah!
Hah!
I don't differentiate between legal and illegal drugs. To my mind, the only difference is which drugs governments have figured out how to tax.
Hah!
Hah!
Rather than raise your kids properly, you try to blame farmers in Columbia or British Columbia. Nations neighboring the USA know how many addicts live in the USA and cheerfully grow crops to feed America's addictions.

Quick question: what is British Columbia's largest export to the USA?

Which organization controls the export?

Starting drinking alcohol was one of the worst mistakes I ever made. Eventually had to quit drinking when I finally admitted that (alcohol) hang-overs were interferring with my skydiving. I was more dangerous hung-over than half the stoned people on the airplane.
Hah!
Hah!
Personal experience taught me that hash brownies did half as much damage to my body than alcohol.
Hah!
Hah!
I also know from - first hand experience - that the highly-touted staff drug-testing program a major DZ does not catch all the drug-users, but it does produce false-positives for sober people.
Hah!
Hah!
And you demand that other nations take your national drug policy seriously?
Hah!
Hah!

1) Riggerrob, you are a North "American". We are US citizens, and you are Canadian.;)
2) You have a valid point about US laws and morality on this issue.
3) We should avoid people or situations we deem unsafe, whether it is the intoxicated jumper or the sober one who appears to be unsafe anyhow. I say this because it's tough to police everyone, and you may ruin your day in doing so and ultimately still not fix "the problem".
4) This thread has demonstrated that when stones are hurled, others will get hurled back, and this may diminish the persuasive/educational value of what people are posting.
5) I don't know the subject DZ from which this thread originated, but another alternative is to PM each other at some point, if PM'ing is turned on for your account(s).

Just my opinions.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

People that are older that do drugs know their drugs, they research them, they know what effects they are going to have on their body and when it is safe for them to continue jumping

You think so? Tell that to Ron Passmore or Bruce.

Sorry. You are quite wrong. Two graves at your dz prove that right there.

Yeah hey guess what, read it again, I was talking about being messed up while jumping. If you are going to jump when your fucked up then you deserve to die. What I was saying is that if you get enough sleep, chances are you are good to go in the morning and people that use drugs regular know when they are ok to resume with their day. Two graves doesn't prove shit, how many times has anyone jumped to get over a hang-over? It's the same dam thing weather it is drugs or alcohol. Ok that's it.. all dz should be "dry" of everything. Oh. wait wake up we don't live in a perfect world. Besides, the cops wouldn't come around if people didn't post shit on the internet for people to read! May as well just get the damn place closed down if it pisses you off that much, and all the rest of the dz too.

People that are older that do drugs know their drugs, they research them, they know what effects they are going to have on their body and when it is safe for them to continue jumping

It's only a matter of time before someone narcs on the dealers out there.

Ahhh, a cheap, anonymous potshot. My strong belief that skydivers should be able to say and do whatever they are willing to be responsible does not include such cowardice.

Michael

Yeah hey guess what, read it again, I was talking about being messed up while jumping. If you are going to jump when your fucked up then you deserve to die. What I was saying is that if you get enough sleep, chances are you are good to go in the morning and people that use drugs regular know when they are ok to resume with their day. Two graves doesn't prove shit, how many times has anyone jumped to get over a hang-over? It's the same dam thing weather it is drugs or alcohol. Ok that's it.. all dz should be "dry" of everything. Oh. wait wake up we don't live in a perfect world. Besides, the cops wouldn't come around if people didn't post shit on the internet for people to read! May as well just get the damn place closed down if it pisses you off that much, and all the rest of the dz too.

>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

I never mentioned any dzs in my posts. The point of this thread was NOT to tattle tale. The point of this thread was to see who all else is sick and tired of drugs on the dropzone, doesn't know what to do about it, and is sick and tired of having to deal with it just so they can jump.

My god. If I would've posted about people jumping too small of canopies, would people feel like I was attacking their dropzone as a whole? If I would've posted that I'm sick of seeing young jumpers hop onto bigways, would people make assumptions as to which dropzone I was referring to? Probably not. If you got defensive by my posts, then there is probably a reason.

you really need to stop differentiating between "legal" and "illegal" drugs. alcohol, caffeine and nicotine are DRUGS. period. they are mood altering substances just like marijuana, cocaine, LSD, etc. from a pharmacological standpoint they are all drugs. legality doesnt really make a difference in whether or not you are able to skydive safely under the influence of any of these substances.>:(

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

you really need to stop differentiating between "legal" and "illegal" drugs. alcohol, caffeine and nicotine are DRUGS. period. they are mood altering substances just like marijuana, cocaine, LSD, etc. from a pharmacological standpoint they are all drugs.

Heck, why stop there? A drug is anything that affects body chemistry. So, why not include, Vitamin C, water, asparagus, beef, fumes, air, or anything else?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I think she does not want any more flaming, trying to be careful in what she says, one might think.

Anyway, so back to the original topic of this thread....
Is anyone sick of DRUG USE ON THE DZ? not off the dz, on the dz.
I imagine that if anyone was caught doing drugs on the dz the know they will be kicked off the dz. so we all know that it is wrong. Now if you choose to do drugs ON the dz....go fuck yourself!
we owe a lot to our dz owners, we dont want to put them at risk, and if you are that much of a wanker that you would put the dz owner at risk......go get your own dz and see how long it lasts.
Skydiving is about blowing our minds out with air and friends and disciplin and safety.....if someone wants to do drugs and jump, well stay away from them if you are not keen on it, if not keep jumping, keep smilling and keep throwing all your money into av gas.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Heck, why stop there?

Because if you don't, you're deliberatly being silly. Besides, I think we are really talking about drug abuse, not drugs.

My Black's states a drug is a natural or synthetic substance that alters one's perception or consciousness.

If, for the average person, Vitamin C does that, then it is a drug,
--
drop zone (drop'zone) n. An incestuous sesspool of broken people. -- Attributed to a whuffo girlfriend.

to be quite honest, if it was any more than pot the dropzone would be off limits to me...only if this was going on and then jumping. the reason is not because they are having a good time and nothing is going wrong, it is because i do not want to be there when something does go horribly wrong. I know it could well happen one day but i do not want to see someone go in and this is one thing i can take away from the equation to better my chances of not seeing this happen. At my dz we had our second cypress fire in a long time a few years ago, to us this was a big deal because it should not have happened. Now if someone went in and the autopsy said they were high or drunk, well i want nothing to do with this dropzone. I hope i will avoid it but if i do not avoid it well it is just the same as anything in life, i mean when i use to take acid as a teenager i also drove my car while peeking and nothing ever went wrong. Mybe i will be lucky enough not to see anyone at my dz go in because of drugs.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I think this is an invented 'problem'. People have been doing drugs at the DZ for as long as I have been jumping and, by all accounts, for a lot longer. Those who do imbibe tend to do so out of sight, in the company of like-minded people. I've never seen anybody pressure non-users to try. Most imbibers don't mix it with jumping, but those who do so are generally undetectable. If someone's so fucked up/drunk that its noticeable, their friends will stop them boarding a plane.

As far as I am aware, even though drug use and skydiving has been going on for decades, there are no known incidents where someone died because someone else was fucked up. Those who have killed themselves, well, they are grown-ups and knew the risk they were taking. It's also important to remember that just because there are drugs in somebody's system, this fact is not necessarily causally linked to their death. I know of at least one instance where this was the case.

Live and let live. The users are polite enough to use away from those who may be offended by it and don't push their beliefs upon others. To have (usually uninformed) non-users try to tell the others what to do is every bit as offensive as listening to a whuffo expound their ill-informed opinions about the stupidity of jumping out of planes.

My .02. YMMV. I'm used to that. :):P

nothing to see here

I've really enjoyed reading the recent posts on drugs on a dz.
Val maybe you should have asked about "drugs on an exit", instead of "drugs on a dz"!
In my life i've tried many things- regretted and loved a lot. i do enjoy alcohol occasionally, but after the fact, i usually feel like i've poisoned my body. but after i smoke. . .i'm fine - no headache, no nasauea, no dizziness. anyways, I don't smoke at work, I don't smoke around children, I don't smoke when I'm driving, I don't smoke when i'm jumping, but smoke, I do. hopefully one day people people will stop trying to kill the plants of the earth!;)!
Oh, and val, yes dildos are nice, but it sounds like you should really go for a live one every once in a while, they're even better!:P
Enjoy the skies, than the highs!

My Black's states a drug is a natural or synthetic substance that alters one's perception or consciousness.

Well, the biiochemical definition has any always been a "chemical substance which affects the human physiology."

Under your definition, antibiotics would not count as drugs, since they do not affect perception or consciousness, but rather kill bacteria. They fit in mine, since they affect body physiology (in a way inhospitable to bacteria).

My guess is that you understood exactly what Val meant by "drugs." Personally, I haven't hung out on DZ's enough to see the drug culture. On top of that, people probably know I'm a square.

ANd honestly, I'll congratulate Val for her stance. It takes guts.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I don't know... the Tandem master going in in Cali with drugs in his system sure did a number to the legal status of tandems at the time and could have put 3 major gear makers out of business and the DZ if the lawsuit went the other way. As it was that case cost tens of thousands of dollars to defend, and the cost had to be passed back into the general skydiving community.

Go in with drugs in your system and take out someone and there is a good chance your DZ will be sued. Hope they can afford that $10000 bill. Not many can and those that can't will just fold.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

> you really need to stop differentiating between "legal" and "illegal"
>drugs. alcohol, caffeine and nicotine are DRUGS. period.

Nicotine will not slow your reactions enough to kill you while you are trying to drive home; caffeine will not cause you to forget to pull. On the other hand, alcohol, barbituates and LSD just might.

>legality doesnt really make a difference in whether or not you are able to
> skydive safely under the influence of any of these substances.

Correct, common sense does - a trait that is unfortunately lacking sometimes at drop zones.