DBCOOPER

Nationals question

What are the team requirements? I ask this because there are so many guest teams.

www.uspa.org/publications/manuals.pdf/SCM.1-5_May2004.pdf

See page 7.

In essence, be US citizen or permanent resident, have appropriate license, and NOT have competed for another country or in their national championships for last 3 years. Applies to all team members.

All members have to be from the US including Video.

Not from the US. All you really need is the right type of residency.

We were a guest team. One of our members was from SA. It was wierd how many Perris teams had to be guests this year. Some of them didn't even know until they registered.

Take Exceed as an example. They are all American citizens. One of them had competed on a Nationals team for another country. That made them a guest.

Many debates on if they did or did not know before hand or not. That is for a different thread. i know them all personally and I would think it was a mistake on there part. If any of them told me that the sun was purple yesterday I would believe them. They are all honest people. Bad situation for them.
Dom

I think the judges were a little heavy handed with Exceed, they certainly did not deserve to be dq'd.
The other teams did deserve what they got IMO.
It was a great meet, the spots could have been better.

Its unfortunate what happened with Exceed but they absolutely deserved to be disqualified. The rules are stated very clearly in the competition manual. They broke the rules, intentionally or unintentionally, and they should be disciplined accordingly. The rules are there for a reason and they should be followed. Allowing exceptions just opens the door for dishonest behavior.

Yes, they deserved some sanction. What made most people irate (especially those from the SoCal area) was the implication that Exceed's violation of the rules was intentional and that they had lied to the judges.

Anyone who knows the people on that team knows that is just not possible. Those three are the most clean-cut, honest people on the drop zone. To imply that they lied is completely unreasonable.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

I can understand how people would be mad about that implication. But when you filled out the registration form for Nationals, they asked the following:

If no, check one of the following:

Resident Alien Card U.S. INS Card I-551 (must show at registration)
I-551 temporary stamp in passport (must show at registration)
Guest competitor

2. In the last 3 years have you represented another country at an FAI competition or competed at another country's nationals as other than a guest competitor?: No Yes (Guest competitor)

It made it very clear what the requirements were to be eligible. How do you fill this out and not realize you are supposed to be a guest?

I can understand how people would be mad about that implication. But when you filled out the registration form for Nationals, they asked the following:

If no, check one of the following:

Resident Alien Card U.S. INS Card I-551 (must show at registration)
I-551 temporary stamp in passport (must show at registration)
Guest competitor

2. In the last 3 years have you represented another country at an FAI competition or competed at another country's nationals as other than a guest competitor?: No Yes (Guest competitor)

It made it very clear what the requirements were to be eligible. How do you fill this out and not realize you are supposed to be a guest?

Incorrect. On-line, the Personal Registration Form (PRF) did not include these questions. And the PRF was the only information that was required to be filled out.

The Biography included these questions, and if you look at the team profiles, for example this one, over 50% did not fill out their bios. I, myself, filled one out just for shits and giggles....I wanted to read others and thus thought I should fill mine out as well.

Cheers,
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

The teams that broke the rules deserved sanction, but how was anybody served by not allowing them to finish their rounds. This wasn't a year where anybody was going to represent. They weren't competing in classes that were going to represent. It is true that we are responsible for knowing the rules, but unfortunately in our sport we only have one big event a year. Some teams only get the chance to compete once a year, and learn some of the rules for competition. I don't think having a team travel across the country, disqualifying them and then not letting them finish their jumps promotes growth in our sport. Once they were disqualified or made guest teams why not let them finish their jumps. For most teams, the Nationals is about doing your personal best, its about seeing how much you have improved on a personal and team level. I think these teams were cheated out of that chance. Calling them cheaters after that was just salt in open wounds.

The teams that broke the rules deserved sanction, but how was anybody served by not allowing them to finish their rounds. This wasn't a year where anybody was going to represent. They weren't competing in classes that were going to represent. It is true that we are responsible for knowing the rules, but unfortunately in our sport we only have one big event a year. Some teams only get the chance to compete once a year, and learn some of the rules for competition. I don't think having a team travel across the country, disqualifying them and then not letting them finish their jumps promotes growth in our sport. Once they were disqualified or made guest teams why not let them finish their jumps. For most teams, the Nationals is about doing your personal best, its about seeing how much you have improved on a personal and team level. I think these teams were cheated out of that chance. Calling them cheaters after that was just salt in open wounds.

If a team or individual was disqualified in any other sport or competition, would they be allowed to continue participation in the competition? Would competing team have a problem with sharing the plane with a load of fun jumpers, ie non competitors? Just a thought.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals