billvon

Concise definition of exit separation

Bill Would be an interesting thing to see: and be able to show others
I am a firm believer in the idea of groundspeed - call it the kallend school of thought;)

Anyway some people think differently - BUT - last weekend on a very high upper day a FF coach almost had someone go through him while he was under canopy. Makes for some very spectacular footage - I would say that he was less than 10 metres away at full terminal (reaching just getting the PC). Anyway everyone ended up seeing the footage and I was able to connvince a few more people about exit seperation.

We were told that winds were about 60knots or so at height so I knew to leave a hell of a delay. 20 seconds or thereabouts. Remember even if you end up spotting a touch long the chances are you will make it back with that sort of breeze.

One thing I always try to do is check the GPS prior to exit (where possible) to get a better feel for the wind if I am not sure.

Be safe!
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

There are some folks out here who have put a lot of thought into the exit separation equation.

I would like to know what distance would be considered safe separation. The distance may be different depending on size of group, style of jumping, opening altitude, others?

But how far should we let the plane fly in distance between one group to the next?

After you know what distance you want, then determining the number of seconds will be a little bit easier to calculate.

Ow my head is starting to hurt...[:/]:(

Can't I just invent an audible that will pre-calc all this on the ride up? >:(>:(

Too late at night to think math anyhow...:| -but I'll definitely attempt to grasp the concept during daylight and after consumption of at least 4 cups of caffeinated beverage...:P
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

There are some folks out here who have put a lot of thought into the exit separation equation.

I would like to know what distance would be considered safe separation. The distance may be different depending on size of group, style of jumping, opening altitude, others?

But how far should we let the plane fly in distance between one group to the next?

After you know what distance you want, then determining the number of seconds will be a little bit easier to calculate.

Did you see this and following posts?
www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=946299#946299

I also discuss it at length in the powerpoint presentation on my web site at www.iit.edu/~kallend/skydive/

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Did you see this and following posts?
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=946299#946299

I also discuss it at length in the powerpoint presentation on my web site at
http://www.iit.edu/~kallend/skydive/

Mr. Kallend,
I finally got some time to look at most of the information on your web site.

Everybody, if you haven't taken time to check it out, you should. I ESPECIALLY liked the...

'* Annotated animation of the above, by Tim Wagner'

The Annotated animation should be a must see for everyone.

I think it adds a lot of merit to the idea of cross wind jump runs. I haven't seen much discussion about using cross wind jump runs but I think it could help prevent slower falling belly flyers from being 'blown' over the top of the faster falling head down flyers.

Thanks again.
-mh.