metalslug

Re: [dubbayab] Fatality at Imatra, Finland

Apparently from the video the jumper cut away and RSL activated his reserve, a round.I guess it was the hard landing that killed him.

Just to clarify; the video link posted by Edgar was from a separate incident in which the student survived. To my knowledge, no video of the actual fatality mentioned in the original post exists.
Using Edgar's quote:

Here's a video of such an incident:

..which can be understood as: "Here's a video of a similar incident."
;)

Sorry - On the video link posted the student is thrown, pushed, kicked, shoved out the aircraft. Not a very professional thing to do in my opinion.

As for my experience as a JM in the last year or so of me holding my rating 99% of the students I have despatched have had great exits and stable deployments, but on the odd occasion we find one that just is not on the same wave length.

Just remember to practice your drills, ask questions and arch hard on exit and look up at the plane.

Better never to have met you in my dream than to wake and reach for hands that are not there.

I've been despatching S/L students on a full time or part time basis in the UK since 1979.

Without a doubt one of the facinanting things about it is that you never know what you're going to see next... sometimes the confident, alert student turns
into the scariest thing you've ever seen, sometimes the quiet, introverted, slightly unco-ordinated student turns out to be brilliant.

One thing is certain, the advent of ram-air static line systems has made a weak exit and position much more likely to cause problems.

One thing is certain, the advent of ram-air static line systems has made a weak exit and position much more likely to cause problems.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Talk about doing things the hard way!
When Canadian DZs switched to squares and piggybacks - in the 1980s - 95% of them went directly to Instructor Assisted Deployment.

IAD has four advantages over static-line:

1. Most of the old static-line jumpmasters could recite a long list of static-line related malfunctions that they did not want to repeat.
2. We could use the same rigs and packing methods for first or freefall students, even change our minds in the airplane.

3. With IAD, the canopy deploys straight behind the jumper, the way the system was designed.
In comparison, static-lines have an awkward habit of trying to drag the d-bag around the corners of the reserves container or over the jumper's shoulder.

4. Finally and most important ... IAD results in such quick deployments that 99% of the idiots cannot backloop bad enough to interfer with main deployment.

For the record, I have been a skydiving instructor since 1982 and have dispatched first jump students with all of the following methods: military-surplus static-lines, Para-Commanders with IAD, squares with IAD, squares with static-line, AFF with ripcord and tandem.