tdog

Oceanfront like DZs

I remember watching the sky surfing sequences by Troy Hartman in the IMAX Adventures in Wild California movie. I thought - I have to do that - not the sky surfing, but skydive in the most beautiful oceanfront area looking at white sand and blue ocean.

I see a company in Cancun that is rated by experienced skydivers as a "tandem factory” and experienced jumpers highly recommend experienced jumpers stay away.

So, my question then is - what are the most beautiful drop zones out there - the ones where you have to try real hard not to lose altitude awareness because of the view, the ones worthy of movies (I.E. you don’t land in field between the runway and hangar)? For the sake of discussion, lets assume DZ that are full time operations and actively solicit solo jumpers.

T

Two of the most impressive jumps I've made were a long way from the ocean in the middle of the Austrian Alps. Skydive-Tirol in the Inn valley downstream from Innsbruck. http://www.skydive-tirol.com/ (no good pictures of valley) Climbing to altitude through and around the Alps. Jumprun up the 2km wide valley. Having the skyline change as you fell into the valley and have the mountains wrap up around you.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

If you are talking about Skydive Playa, jumpers from my home DZ have nothing but great reviews for it. Yes, their business focus is tandems but my friends say that they are more than willing to take fun jumpers. One of the guys there is also an awesome still photographer. I've got friends with an incredible picture of them sit flying, over Playa's beach, hanging over their mantle.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Ya, I saw on a show that Troy and the IMAX guy for Wild California would go up in a helicopter and wait until the control tower gave them airspace between jumbo commercial airliners - as and when the space became available.

Thanks all for the wonderful suggestions. I am planning my 2005, and I wanted to have a wish list of where to go. I travel a lot for work, so perhaps I can get to a few places a day or two early to get in some fun too.

My ears are still open for more suggestions.

T

Sebastian has fantastic views... but for something that only happens a couple of times a year, check out Kenya:

Kenya Boogie

Jump run over the reef in a Twin Otter, followed by a beach landing on every jump - then drop your rig off with a packer and go for a dip in the Indian Ocean while you wait for your next load! You can also do your AFF there...

... got to agree with councilman, Saint Johan in Tirol is the prettiest DZ I have ever jumped at.
The prettiest Canadian DZ is at Pemberton, BC, just North of the ski resort at Whistler.
Too bad Pemberton is only a satellite school for tandems. I sure enjoy looking over at glaciers as we fall into the deep V-shaped valley.

Empuriabrava east cost of Spain.

Below you the town of Empuria, right on the coast - no roads just canals. Think a modern day Venice laid out in a grid.

Mediterranean to one side of you with a coastline stretching off into the distance.

To the other side are the mountains. You can see the Pyrenees in the distance.

Empuriabrava east cost of Spain.

Below you the town of Empuria, right on the coast - no roads just canals. Think a modern day Venice laid out in a grid.

Mediterranean to one side of you with a coastline stretching off into the distance.

it's the biggest marina of the whole mediterranean...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Troy did the skysurfing sequence above Misson Bay in San Diego. You've got to pull strings to do that demo.

I actually live right on Mission Beach and have always wanted to jump out of the Cessnas that fly over on the weekends. You know, the planes that carry the banners from behind? Man, I bet you could definitely pick up some chicks! :D