Reginald

Night SCR

In Dallas this past Saturday night, 8 adventitious souls exited from a Caravan at 13,500 feet into the blackness of a North Texas night with nothing but glow sticks to light the way. Undocked on exit, we used the pail glow of the light sticks to find each other in the murky blackness, forming a BFR by 10,300 feet. We spun the round so we could all have a good look at beauty of the city in the distance and the lights of the small towns nearby. With a preplanned break off at 6,000 feet and staggered deployment altitudes, based on canopy type and wing loading we all safely deployed and landed without incident. Six of the eight of us earned our NSCR’s! (Now I just gotta do the paperwork).

Hey, what’s the lowest NSCR number out there???

It was one of the most memorable jumps I’ve done for several reasons. First, I had the pleasure of jumping with dear friends. Second, both of my primary mentors were on the jump (and in fact are who encouraged me to join the jump). Third, seeing the smiles of my friends in the round as we formed it was priceless. Fourth, it’s not something that a lot of people have ever done. And finally, it f***ing ROCKED!

I want to thank everyone that made this jump possible, from the planning on to the implementation. All the people that were on the jump with me will forever be in my memory, thank you all for sharing this with me!

Ron S. (or make that "Sir Ron" since I'm now "Nighted") ;)

I know, I know, so what kind of beer do you want? :)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

NCSR #1 is the lowest (sorry, had to be a smart-aleck) you probably meant the lowest nSCR out there in dz.com land.

Bill's in the process of updating his website (www.scr-awards.com) with all award holders and your name can appear on there

Oh yeah... Congratualions. I love nightjumps!!
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Congratulations!

I have been looking for my opportunity to get the NSCR for several years. The closest I ever got was an all-deaf 7 way star built for a Night Deaf World Record, at Perris, CA, Sept. 2003. Boy did we whoop it up back then after we all landed! Just needed one more lousy stinking deafie to make it a NSCR... :D

There's always next year at Lake Wales, DWR 2005...

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

NSCR 2327, 7-15-00, jump 178. Brains and I were probably on that same jump?

Looking at the numbers:
mjosparky 1531 in 1979
jimmytavino 1817 in 1981
brains 2335 in 2000

That's 300 in two years, then 500 in the next 19 years. Good to see you adding to the numbers, Ron! Apparently many people are missing out on a very cool experience.

My logbook entry:

2nd night jump 10way try.
SCS! NSCR! 11pm.
Freeflew exit. Everything funky.
People everywhere. A base formed,
and people started docking. I hung
out until all were there.
Docked 8th of 9.

I still remember how dark the sky was, yet you could see the ground really well in the moonlight (logbook entry for previous jump: "Could see everything!"). The skydivers would appear just a short distance from the formation. I recall this one black streak with a glowing chemlite zooming by under the formation. I also recall the exit being pretty tight and well bunched, which is not exactly what I logged. That night jump remains a fond memory, and I hope I still recall the entire dive in 2024.

I don't remember my number (it's at the DZ), but I'll see if I can get a good scan of a picture of what was probably my NSCR jump; an all-girl variety, way fun.

I used to love night jumps; now with canopies being so much faster, and needing so much more precise knowledge of how high you are, I'm not so sure.

Wendy W.
(NSCSA 26)
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Here is a picture of my NSCSA, night hoop dive. #105. Night jumps still scare the hell out of me.:P

Sparky

105th night jump? :o I've done... let's see... um yeah... 7.

Group night jumps scare me too. I almost bowed out of this one. There were 2 skydivers on there whose opinion I respect far more than my own. Had they not sanctioned it, I wouldn't have gone. We had 3 really experienced jumpers a few intermediates and a couple with less than 200 jumps on there. Outside of Cat2, Duran and Terry, all the rest of us had single digit night jump experience. I felt better once I learned my assigned pull alt would be 4500. 1500' of track can solve a lot of problems.

I was able to locate only 2 of the other 7 jumpers under canopy as I patterned in for landing. But everyone followed the plan. No one spiraled down or hung in breaks... Vertical sep was maintained. There was a nice little time gap between each landing- every one a stand-up too.

Maybe I'm making too much of it but top to bottom, that jump just went well. Properly planed. Formed up quick. Even when we spun it there wasnt undue tension in the grips. Rick was even playing with the fallrate a little to see who'd notice. And people did the right things under canopy.

Yeah. That one made my top ten list. That's for sure.
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”