groundpounder

why not dump reserve

Get the parachute out into the air, then it wants to open. Until the parachute is in the air stream, it's not comparible.

Standing leap versus hanging from the shoulders and dropping. No training or practice, no control over how the tiny spring loaded pilot chute on that 13 foot bridle gets into the air... etc...

It's just not comparible.:P

it is a good idea to practice your e procedures on the ground after you have checked with the rigger. you want to make sure he is avabile to repack your reserve, have an instructor watch you pull the handles, you should remember to lube your cutaway cables, and be carefull not to weaken your velcro by repeatedly pulling of the handles.
As for as for dumping your reserve at terminal,

1- be sure of the spot, making sure you will be able to find your freebag
2- have a plan to tell the s&ta you couldn't get to your main handle
3- take a deep breath cause it going to be a quick deployment. It may hurt a bit at terminal.
4- do it high enough to use a hook knife to cut the reserve risers and use your main if you have a function on your reserve, or to cut a line
5- be prepaired to purshase a new reserve if you repeaditly do this ( it can cause wear on your reserve canopy, this is why PD wants riggers to put an " X " in the box)
6- remember to do a couple of practice flares up high so you will have a nice landing.
7- don't forget to clear your burble
8- don't brag about doing it, or tell anyone you are going to do it. you may be seen as a risk taker or a nuckelhead;)

I won't do it, i just feel it is unnessary. There are severial boogies where PD will let you fly there reserves as mains if your interested in seeing how they fly.
If you know what your looking for, you can open your reserve on the ground, and walk up the lines and tell if it would have opened, sorta.

please be carefull not to endanger anyone else in doing this, your taking an unnessary risk.:)WB

4- do it high enough to use a hook knife to cut the reserve risers and use your main if

Have you ever tried to cut through a set (4) risers while under a malfunctioning reserve?
It sounds good on paper, in the air it is almost impossible.

8- don't brag about doing it, or tell anyone you are going to do it. you may be seen as a risk taker or a nuckelhead;)

We are all "risk takers" I would think, we do jump out of airplanes. But deploying your reserve for shits and grins would also put one in the "nuckelhead" category.:P

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

As for using a reserve just to do it before a repack, the crew dogs do it all the time.

They do? Any crew dogs out there what to confirm this.?

Sparky

Dogs are a little smarter than that. Why would anyone want to put unnecessary wear and tear on a reserve?

Thanks Chuck. I know you guys are not wrapped too tight, but not crazy.:P

Sparky
CCS #99
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

4- do it high enough to use a hook knife to cut the reserve risers and use your main if you have a function on your reserve

Hmmm... I am sure it has been done before, but I'd love to hear from someone who actually had to do that. Must be tricky, especially once one riser has been cut off and you are hanging from the other one...
And why not take it a step further and kill 2 birds with one stone:
Don't pull anything, so you can test the cypress AND the reserve.
Sorry if I come across as a smart ass (and I definitely not mean this to be taken personally), but the fact one would mention a potential mal on the reserve (which we all know can and does happen) makes it a bad idea to even think of going silver for no good reason.
The PD plan seems like a much better one in my opinion.
My very inexperienced opinion.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

As for using a reserve just to do it before a repack, the crew dogs do it all the time.

Sparky

I'm not aware of any crwdogs that do intentional chops before a repack or any other time. We use our reserves too often as it is. Getting through a full reserve cycle is a good thing.

Bob

actually i didnt get kicked off.. i ran out of money (credit cards) :D but yeah.. the other reason i left was because i got tired of people telling all kinds of crazy stories and making me out to be this complete nutcase, and never letting me actually explain myself. Butt what i did learn is that if you're going to be crazy, make sure you're not endangering anyone else, and for gods sake, dont tell ANYONE. YOU CANT TRUST ANYONE AT THE DZ. i found this out firsthand. :S but yes i did do an intentional cutaway, same situation as you, but i was also about to sell the rig, i trusted the rigger who packed my reserve. i knew that i was going to be exiting the sport for a while anyway. i'm getting back into it in a month or so.

--coming to a dz near you! Don

actually i know quite a few crew dogs that do intentionals.. they're just smarter then me and didnt talk about it. :D but its all good.. i learned my lesson.

Sparky

I'm not aware of any crwdogs that do intentional chops before a repack or any other time. We use our reserves too often as it is. Getting through a full reserve cycle is a good thing.

Bob

>........i dont think a guy with close to 100 jumps would really ask
>that. If so though, i think he is in the wrong sport and if he thinks
>like this after 100 jumps.

Good thing I didn't know you when I had 100 jumps! I asked a lot more bizarre questions than that - like how to do a canopy transfer on an SOS system. It bugged me that I couldn't do it on our rental rigs because I didn't know that the situation that warrants such an action is rare. (Of course I also did my first BASE jump at about 150 jumps, so I was a little odd anyway.)

"a hand deployed round reserve"

Is there any video out there of someone deploying a hand deployed round? That would have to be some funny shit. Especially if it was a 'modern day' jumper. Last point in recommended procedure when using a hand deployed round: "Place head between legs to kiss your arse goodbye and/or use back of head to protect butt hole from 'curious' branches on that tree you're about to land in".

The only thing worse than a cold toilet seat is a warm toilet seat.

...YOU CANT TRUST ANYONE AT THE DZ. i found this out firsthand. :S...

...i trusted the rigger who packed my reserve...

So... you give us your personal insight as to how, in your own words, you cannot trust anyone on the DZ, and then go on to tell us that you opened your reserve because you trusted the rigger who packed it... seem like a contradiction to you?

I don't know about you, but on every single jump I make, I trust:
~The Pilot - to get the plane to a safe altitude for jumping with me on board, and to get it back down properly so I may jump again when I'm packed,
~The DZ Owner/CCI - to make sure the plane is in good working order so that the pilot can do his job,
~The Manufacturer Of My Gear - and, of course, the people that have checked it over before I jump it, not to have made any mistakes that might kill me,
~The Rigger Who Packed My Reserve - because I could be placing myself in a situation where it is the only thing that will save my life,
~Whoever Packed My Main - because I'd rather not use that reserve,
~The Person Who Is Spotting - to make sure I don't get out over the north sea (of course, no substitute for a quick look yourself!),
~My Fellow Jumpers - that they stay aware and don't do anything stupid that might endanger anyone's chances of making it to the bar that night in one piece, and above all,
~MYSELF - that I fulfill the responsibilities I have been appointed with, so as not to endanger the lives of myself and those around me.

And for my early jumps, I knew virtually NONE of these people!!!
I don't know if you've noticed, but skydiving does place a lot of emphasis on trust - if you really can't trust anyone at your DZ, I don't think you would be out of line to:
a) Move to another DZ, or
b) Take up bowling.

...i knew that i was going to be exiting the sport for a while anyway...

As I'm sure's been mentioned here before, keep chopping perfectly good canopies and you could be 'exiting the sport' for longer than you think...

...sorry if I sound a bit harsh, and I don't expect coments from someone with less jumps than you to make to much of a difference, but from what you've said so far it really doesn't seem like you give this sport the respect it deserves.

Durham University Freefall Club

Grounds For Divorce website (band I'm in)

well thats what i did.. i moved. the rigger that i trust is a person i hang out with all the time, or used to when i lived in houston, anyway. and play nice tim. i'm sure/i know you've done your share of stupid things. :P i know it was stupid and irresponsible, but i mean.. i dont feel the need to do it again. i just wanted to see what it was like, and now that i know, its all good. *shrugs* its not like i'm gonna turn into one of the old timers at sdh that pulls reserve every pack job. (or at least back in the day) in any case, i got into sportbikes and the adrenaline rush from that is quite a bit more then skydiving, and also dont have to deal with a bunch of bleeding hearts. But, since some of the greatest times of my life were skydiving, i will always want to return to it. i know the odds are i'll probably never fit in at a DZ again but hey i guess thats what i get for being a crazy "knucklehead"