groundpounder

why not dump reserve

no, it is a great reason to dump your reserve....as far as i know. But do it after you ask the rigger and also do it where he wants you to do it. You do not want your reserve lying around.
Ask him first though but i found it a good way to practise the peel and pull. Some riggers may disagree with me and some might agree but i asked mine and he had no problem but he did not have to take it anywhere to do the work.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

He meant DEPLOY his reserve...

I believe...

I thought about that... Has a repack not too long ago... Turns out that the way it was packed, cypress and all... Would have likely snagged and might not have opened properly..

Use it ONLY if you have to... THAT is why..

Rhino

He meant DEPLOY his reserve...

You think?? the guy has nearly 100 jumps...

If he really means he wants to cut away a perfectly good main parachute when he only has one other, the reserve and take the risk of that not opening and put a jump on this reserve, which is also a big waste of money , ........i dont think a guy with close to 100 jumps would really ask that.
If so though, i think he is in the wrong sport and if he thinks like this after 100 jumps that he actually has to ask...well he should stop skydiving as he does not have the right head on his shoulders to even think this. let alone everything he knows about the sport or his instructors and other jumpers have taught him in the last 100 jumps.

Far out......:S[:/]B|B|B|

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

If so though, i think he is in the wrong sport and if he thinks like this after 100 jumps that he actually has to ask...well he should stop skydiving as he does not have the right head on his shoulders to even think this

There was a guy on DZ.com a while back that was talking big and going too hard that did exactly that at his home DZ. Chopped a perfect main just to try out his reserve and see what it was like.

Luckily, he did stop jumping, since he was headed towards being dead really quickly.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Do you mean open it while you're on the ground and see what's inside? By all means, do it. However, do it in front of your rigger.

Put the rig on and pull all the handles like you mean it.

Reason I say do it in front of your rigger is so he doensn't end up being handed a wrinkled up mess. If possible, I like it when my customers pull all the handles. If they want to see how it works, that's the best time to find out.

Afterwards I'll flake it out on it's side and rigger roll it and stash it away if I'm not packing it right then and there.

If you mean jump it? Yeah... there's lots of reasons not to.

---If so though, i think he is in the wrong sport and if he thinks like this after 100 jumps that he actually has to ask...well he should stop skydiving as he does not have the right head on his shoulders to even think this.---

Well, thanks for the vote of confidence. Call me crazy, but I thought that forums were a place to share advice and knowledge from others who have been there before! Look at it this way: I DIDN'T chop a good main just to deploy my reserve. I ASKED about it first. This is where I see a difference between being wreckless and curious. I am curious about it, so I asked about it.
Alright, knowledge gained, and I ain't going to do it. Do I still not have a good head on my shoulders?:|

I really am sorry that you have taken it in such a way.
yes you did the right thing asking first. this is the way to learn.
My first post i thought answered your question in a decent way.
my second post was because rhino said maybe you were asking about cutting away your main just so you could ride your reserve, A.K.A. 'emergency parachute'.
Now you should ask an instructor at your dz not people on the internet a question like this.

You should know what the purpose of an emergency parachute is before you get your 'a' license and i belive that you know better and that you are asking in this forums because you know how your dzo would look at you if you asked such a question.

I did not think when rhino pointed out that you meant deploying your emergency parachute in free fall that this is what you meant.

Now ask yourself, if i have a good parachute should i risk my life even more by chopping a good chute?

YOU NEVER CHOP A GOOD CHUTE andf you know this or you would not have your license.
Also would you really want to test a canopy that has not been touched in 4 months if you did not HAVE to?

Would you want to put a jump on this emergency canopy?

I am sorry if i sounded rude to you but at the same time you should know better than this or what have you learnt in this sport?

We have and respect emergency parachutes for that reason. They are for emergencies.

You ask do you still have a good head on your shoulders?
Well you are curious on what an emergency parachute is there for......are you curious on how to use this?

I am glad you are not going to do it. You might also take note that if you only go up with 2 chutes and you deploy your reserve just to try it, your dropzone might be showing you the way not to ever come back.

I am sorry that i sound hard but you need it to take this sort of thinking out of your head.

I wish you many happy jumps and many safe landings. I hope your reserve is there for you when you need it but dude, ask your instructor these sort of questions. That is why he gets paid the dollars. You should already know this before you do your first jump.

Again sorry i have sounded rude,
blue skies.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

If you want to an intentional reserve deployment, you'll need to talk to a rigger and have a backup reserve installed on the front of your rig, and get trained in how to use it. It will be a hand deployed round reserve, since there is no cutting away a malfunctioned reserve. I've used this setup when doing reserve certification jumps. If you want to use your reserve intentionally, without a backup, you're showing very poor judgement.

Be safe and have fun. Yes . . .you can do both.:D

There was a guy on DZ.com a while back that was talking big and going too hard that did exactly that at his home DZ. Chopped a perfect main just to try out his reserve and see what it was like.

Luckily, he did stop jumping, since he was headed towards being dead really quickly.

I think getting kicked of the DZ was a big part of why he quit.

He came back a few weeks ago and was talking about getting back into the sport.

As for using a reserve just to do it before a repack, the crew dogs do it all the time.

In the mid- '80's I was a novice watching a video of one of the instructors (1000+ jumps) chopping a good main just for fun. I asked why he did it and the first thing he said was that he wore an extra harness with a second reserve.

With such planning, is this really such a dangerous idea?

Cheers,
Jon

Yeah i am not talking about a second harness, with an extra canopy.
there is nothing wrong with this and this would be a great time to test your reserve.
I am sayig it is not a good idea for a person who only has 2 canopy's to cut away for fun and if you want to make an argument at of this that is pathetic.
You know very well that the question in this thread was in the meaning of only having 2 canop's.
he got his answer and is happy with the answer.
There is no reason to make an issue on this.
I never said there was a problem cutting away with an extra reserve.
And i think i said that in a previous post that this is how it would be done.
Blue skies

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Yeah i am not talking about a second harness, with an extra canopy.
there is nothing wrong with this and this would be a great time to test your reserve.
I am sayig it is not a good idea for a person who only has 2 canopy's to cut away for fun and if you want to make an argument at of this that is pathetic.
You know very well that the question in this thread was in the meaning of only having 2 canop's.
he got his answer and is happy with the answer.
There is no reason to make an issue on this.
I never said there was a problem cutting away with an extra reserve.
And i think i said that in a previous post that this is how it would be done.
Blue skies

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wow... I'm sorry. I got the impression that some people think it would be a poor idea even with an extra reserve.

Didn't mean to interfere.

I'll be good.

Jon

sorry i cam out harsh at you there mate.\i have a problem with doing that, i just felt that you were trying to make an argument with me out of something i was not saying.

I think if you have the right experience and have never had a cut away it might be good for you to have a practise chop, so long as you have a second reserve. i am with you on that one. I have had 2 chops in my first hundred jumps. i think these chops gave me a lot of confidence, because it proved to myself that i knew what to do in this situation i.e. do not panic.
If others were given the chanc e of a third canopy to have a practise reserve, it could also build their confidence as i know some are not confident to chop as i had a mate try to land a mal and he broke and shattered more bones thatn i knew we had.

i was trying to get a point here to a guy who has a hundred jumps and wants to cut away because it is getting repacked anyway.
Now i was trying to tell him to never chop a good canopy. the time you chop a good canopy without a back up will probably be the day your reserve does not want to help you;)

A person who thinks that this 'might' be okay that he needs to ask, does not need ideas put in his head;)....well that is what i think anyway.
peace

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Any good reason not to dump my reserve when I'm about to get it repacked anyway?

I've skydived with a singlecanopy rig (not in America). Lots of people use them on lots of other jumps. With a conservative canopy and good pack job by me I consider the risk to be acceptable.

Reasons not to do it with your skydiving reserve are

1. You didn't pack it and therefore can't know about any equipment and/or rigging problems.
2. You may have problems if you dump low and the spring loaded PC hesitates in your burble.
3. It's likely to get you in trouble.
4. You might loose the freebag.
5. It's not legal in America.

I would never unnecessarily use my reserve if someone else packed it (why drag the rigger into it if something bad was to happen). But if I was the one who packed it, I might have an easier time doing it. Shit not that I'm an experienced BASE jumper or anything like that, but I essentially do this on each fixed object jump which I have done to date and I trust the gear and my knowledge of how to pack it.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Not the same. That's a completely different set up.

Yes I understand that there are differences (the initial part of the pack job is similar up until it's time to put the canopy in the freebag versus a BASE free pack). But it's a parachute, it wants to open. But as I said, I'd only do it if it was my pack job. I would not do it to a rigger who packed for me. Of course I'm currently not a rigger, so I guess I won't be doing it. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over