Liemberg

And once you have tasted flight....

Could it be true that the following sentence:
And once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you long to return
is wrongly attributed to Leonardo da Vinci by so many people on the internet that it comes out of every search engine as a quote from Leonardo da Vinci? :S

hint: In all likelyhood, da Vinci didn't fly himself so why would he feel he could comment on it? Charles Lindbergh OTOH...

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

How bout the fact that you die before you hit the ground?

Well duh...of couse you do.........I mean before you hit for the second time (you know, on the bounce)

Here is the deal for anyone who didn't know.....

It's not the first impact that kills you, it just breaks all your bones, then when you bounce back up all those sharp bone fragments peirce your organs and you die.

The lesson? If you're gonna go in, make sure to grab ahold of the grass really tight so you don't bounce back up and die.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Yeah, the internet is a great source of accurate information. ;)

Did you know that wings (including ram-air parachutes) fly as a result of Bernouilli's Law and the principle of equal transit times? :)
And five hundred entirely naked women dropped out of the sky on parachutes.
-- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I know that once you have tasted flight, you'll ask for a second helping.:D

Could be that Da Vinci said it, or didn't say it at all, but it may be near impossible to find out the truth. Many, many quotes, even entire speeches, have been attributed to the wrong persons over the years. Chief Seattle never made his great speech about the white man and how he mistreats the Earth. That was all made up by a newspaper reporter.

Do you have a reference that points to who actually said it?

Henry van Dyke?

Again, most search engines come up with da Vinci. My problem with that is that he never actually flew so it would be rather assumptious of him to say something about it & da Vinci is not known to say much about anything he didn't experience firsthand...

(What da Vinci did say, according to some, that is...)

Charles Lindbergh may have quoted van Dyke in all likelihood, but I'm certain that it wasn't da Vinci who quoted van Dyke or Lindbergh...:)
For me this is a bit like my ongoing "dispute" that I have with the rest of the dutch skydiving community who invariably translate harness into harnas and that means (translated back into English) "body armour"...
Now body armour COULD come handy with the way some skydivers land but the correct translation of harness in the dutch language is "tuig" - and that is exactly what is described when speaking about a harness.

Not losing any sleep over it... :)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

hint: In all likelyhood, da Vinci didn't fly himself so why would he feel he could comment on it? Charles Lindbergh OTOH...

As one of those who so wrongly attribute the quote, da Vinci was extremely interested in all things flight. He was responsible for the first designs of such things as the parachute and the helicopter. That is like saying that Patrick Henry could have never said his "Give me Liberty or Give me Death" speech, as he had never been dead...how does he know what death is like and hence prefer it over not having liberty?

If da Vinci didn't say it, then so be it, but there is no way to know who originally said the quote and the vast majority of instances cite it to da Vinci. I personally got a da Vinci poster with said quote on it when I was a youngin' at the Smithsonian, so I long attributed it to him before I knew of the internet.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

saying that Patrick Henry could have never said his "Give me Liberty or Give me Death" speech, as he had never been dead...how does he know what death is like and hence prefer it over not having liberty?

To me that sounds like a 'poetic' way of saying that life without liberty is not worth living, not a claim of first hand experience with being dead. The "da Vinci quote" OTOH seems to claim just that: first hand experience - it says what WILL happen in the future with anyone that shares the experience.*)

Someone who is famous for looking into things in a scientific-technical way and then report back to us on his findings wouldn't say that.

Someone with a firm believe in authority and institutions however could easily be seen attributing this to the wrong person... :)
*) Besides, any pilot and any tandemmaster can tell you that it isn't true. I have had people falling on their knees, kissing the ground and swearing that they would never go up again ever, right after their safe return to terra firma; no eyes turned skyward and certainly no longing to return... B|

A thousand words...

Someone who is famous for looking into things in a scientific-technical way and then report back to us on his findings wouldn't say that.

He wasn't just an engineer though, he was also an artist. Someone who looks for the beauty in life?

Besides, it seems fairly obvious that he was obsessed by flight, that he longed to fly. Why would he have dedicated so much time and energy to the pursuit of flying machines if he hadn't already made up his mind that it would be pretty damn great?

To say that merely because someone is technicaly minded they can't look to the skies and dream is just wrong.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Why's it so hard to believe he made a few assumptions about what it'd be like to fly?

1. The quote seems to come from someone with firsthand experience in flying.
2. da Vinci is not known to present HIS assumptions as facts.

(Did I put al them green moderators asleep? I would have thought we'd be moved to history and trivia by now... :)

A thousand words...

Why would he have dedicated so much time and energy to the pursuit of flying machines

That remains to be seen. He was a painter, sculpturer, mechanic, philosopher, militairy architect and mathematician. The pursuit of flying machines was just one of his many endeavours.

A thousand words...

Why would he have dedicated so much time and energy to the pursuit of flying machines

That remains to be seen. He was a painter, sculpturer, mechanic, philosopher, militairy architect and mathematician. The pursuit of flying machines was just one of his many endeavours.

Based on the fact that the original quote probally wasn't in english, and what we have is a rough translation of something that was put down on parchment a long time ago, I don't think you can make an assumption about it "sounding" like he wouldn't have or would have said.

Based on the fact that he was a lot more than a technical person I don't think its stretching for the quote to come from him.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Da Vinci was a genius that dreamed of creating a flying machine. Why's it so hard to believe he made a few assumptions about what it'd be like to fly?

Dave

And remember if it wase'nt for GD religion he'd of beaten the Wright bros. by along ways

Gone fishing

a rough translation of something that was put down on parchment a long time ago

Well, then somebody please show me that parchment, like in a notebook or so...

Medieval skydiver: "If it's not on parchment, it didn't happen!" :)

A thousand words...

Why's it so hard to believe he made a few assumptions about what it'd be like to fly?

1. The quote seems to come from someone with firsthand experience in flying.

this statement is an assumption from someone who believes that no one else could ever imagine the emotional nature of flight without experiencing it first hand...

one of the key qualities of genius is visualization and sympathetic imagination... da Vinci's genius is undoubted... he was very likely the last person to be 'completely educated' in all available fields of study in his time... it is perfectly reasonable to theorize that simply from a detailed study of birds (something we can document he did) he came to 'understand' the elation a earth bound creature would feel when they left the bonds they had know all their life...

this statement is an assumption from someone who believes that no one else could ever imagine the emotional nature of flight without experiencing it first hand...

Now I have the feeling that words I never spoke are put into my mouth...

For all I know it was Nils Holgerson who said it first...;)

from a detailed study of birds (something we can document he did) he came to 'understand' the elation a earth bound creature would feel when they left the bonds they had know all their life...

Projecting human emotions into animals? Are you sure you didn't get St Francis of Assisi mixed up wth Leonardo da Vinci here?

A thousand words...

Again, most search engines come up with da Vinci. My problem with that is that he never actually flew so it would be rather assumptious of him to say something about it & da Vinci is not known to say much about anything he didn't experience firsthand...

I don't need to jump off El Capitan to know it would be fucking awesome. Too bad I'll never have the requisite experience to safely do it. Da Vinci was cursed with living in a time with very poor materials and manufacturing techniques. He probably got inspiration watching birds. The way some play in the wind makes it obvious that it is a joy.