elfanie

What is your average opening altitude?

500 feet. Did I lose also?

if you're still alive you certainly won...
if your ghost is writing you certainly lost at the end :)
th ething is I tried to mention the no-low-pull-contest thing so that there is no low pull contest going on.
I know several people who pull lower than I did, I certainly hold no record, not even local record for that (400m), and heard of some even doing some kind of new discipline mix, starting with a 2way freefly, finishing doing a 4 canopies/2 pilots CREW :P:P
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Depends on the canopy I'm jumping. On small canopies (like my velo 90) I try not to pull lower than 3500, pref 4000. I have no problem pulling lower if I need to, I just prefer not to. One of the tradeoffs for jumping a highly loaded canopy imo.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

if you're still alive you certainly won...
if your ghost is writing you certainly lost at the end
th ething is I tried to mention the no-low-pull-contest thing so that there is no low pull contest going on.

No one wins a low pull contest..the best you can do is tie.

and heard of some even doing some kind of new discipline mix, starting with a 2way freefly, finishing doing a 4 canopies/2 pilots CREW

How about a Mr Bill to a two stack and downplane?

Or two way to a two stack then cutaway to a two way again? Not ballsy enough to do CRW with a reserve.

HeHe.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I voted 3100-3500 however most of my jumps are either birdman or crew but I didn't factor those.

No maximum pull alti's here, just let everyone know if you open higher then say 3500. If you jump out at a certain altitude and the plane goes higher, there are limits of a sort. Ie if you want to do crew from 9k but there are freefallers that'll jump from 12k, figure something out (go to 8k or 7k instead, usually). Most tandems here jump from 9k so watch out for them if you jump from 12k. If I do birdman I really want to know if you're planning on opening at 4k or 5k. Stuff like that; usually it is no problem it's just about communication. You can do a hop'n'pop from 12k if you want, just tell manifest, the rest of the load and the pilot.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I usually throw around 3500 so i can be in the saddle at 2900. On larger jumps I try to track hard and flat and usually dump just above 2000.

I really like Amazon's idea of the barrel roll ...... its not tough to do , and it really clears the air above!! That will be a new addition for me this year!! thanks Jeanne.

Jump Safe.

Kent
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------JUMP SAFE!

Years ago, when I jumped canopies such as a Cruiselite XL and a Raider, I packed the canopy to open fast. I pulled at 2000 FT, the USPA minimum for my license level. I spiralled down aggressively to get packed and manifested for the next lift.

When I was a GK, 2500 was out standard deployment altitude, which became my average kinda by default.

When I started jumping a camera in 1998, I raised my pull altitude to 3000 FT, where it remains today when jumping my sport rig.

My routine deployment altitude for tandems is 5000 FT.
Arrive Safely

John

I don't really look at my altimeter after breakoff, it's mounted on my hand and I'd have to break out of my track to look. I think we all get a pretty good sense of the timing and what the ground looks like, and I'd guess I'm clearing myself and waving off about 3'ish and tossing my pilot a bit below that. I'm usually sitting in around 2200-2300, my Spectre takes about 500-600 ft to open. I got distracted once and then saw the ground was bigger than I liked. I'm guessing I was closing on 2 grand (still legal, with a D license), and my sit-in at 1600 with typical Spectre snivel would seem to confirm that.

On big ways, you really do need to get down to where things are starting to look a little scary. I really don't like 2 grand & never have. But I also learned in the old days that I sometimes needed to go there and to keep my wits about me. I won't be so boorish as to insist that today's newer jumpers need to learn to tough it out that low. But seriously, if you're going to be in the air with other people, you really do need to learn to trust yourself and your gear down to 3 grand. 3 grand is SAFE. You have TIME for a cutaway if things go wrong. You'll get back from all but the most hopeless of long spots.
At busy dropzones and boogies, where it's raining bodies by the minute, it's not cool to opened above 3 grand, unless you're well off the flightline and have told the right people (manifest or whatever) in advance.

There's all kinds of good reasons to pull higher, whether you're a student or a red hot swooper. Just remember all those falling bodies above you.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Why so low Matt, that's "Groundable" here

It's probably groundable anywhere....

Why?

Break off from the three-way at ~3 and track. See one guy to my left, OK turn a bit right. See the other guy to my right. oh shit, back to my left to where I was before. Oh fuck it's 2k, I have no friends at 2k. wave and dump. under an open canopy by 1400. (or that's when I actually looked at my alti)

That was the only time I've heard the flatline on my dytter. I don't want to hear it again.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

I have no friends at 2k. wave and dump. under an open canopy by 1400

I have never heard of an experienced jumper grounded for dumping at 2k. Hell- we do Hop and pops from there when it is a low cloud ceiling. I know I have never been grounded for it. I am usually dumping higher than 2000
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

I have never heard of an experienced jumper grounded for dumping at 2k. Hell- we do Hop and pops from there when it is a low cloud ceiling. I know I have never been grounded for it. I am usually dumping higher than 2000

In our OpRegs you have to have an open parachute by 1800.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

The lowest that I have been open was 1400, after a 3way launch from 4k.

That's the original post, 1400 is under our hard deck here in Oz
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?