jumpwally

Snivel Distance ?

I jumped a Flight Concepts Pro 170 for a couple years which would take up to 1000' to open. I would start waving at 3.5, toss around 3.2 or 3.3, and hit the saddle with a fully open canopy a little above 2.2k. Best part was, it opened the same way every single time. There was only one bad opening in 175 or so jumps, but that one did give me an awful case of riser slap across the neck.

The Nitron I have now used to open like a shotgun at least 50% of the time. It got so bad at one point that a couple hard ones in a row ripped a dozen or so holes in my slider. I'm talking zero snivel. Just wave, toss.......bam.

Incidentally, Precision sent me a new, *larger* slider (at no charge, props to Precision), and now it opens like a dream. 500-600 feet every time. It's a bit easier on the neck...

Matt
-----

Lately, I've been just releasing the nose from between my legs, quartering the slider, and rolling the tail just enough to keep it cacooned and it takes about 6 seconds to open from the time I release the pilot chute

I do the same with my Omega. If I rolled the nose n stuck it in, she'd take forever to open.
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

A friend advised me to pull the rear risers if it was taking too long and that seems to work every time.

A friend of mine told me to pull on the FRONT RISERS, and that seems to help. Is that advice ok, or should I use the rear risers?

Blue Skies,
Kelly

It seems like pulling on the front risers would have a tendency to keep the nose closed since you would be increasing the force on the already loaded outside edges. However, I've never tried it.

In comparison, pulling down on the rear risers pulls the tail down and in, allowing the nose to catch air and inflate. This I have tried several times and it works.

DON'T pull the toggles! I tried this once and the canopy opened unevenly trapping one of the brakelines putting me in a severe spin. Luckily, I had a lot of altitude to untwist the mess I created.

Triathlon 190 propacked and i snivel 1000-1500 feet. Not a joke

My Tri 190 snivels for an easy 800 to a grand too...sometimes it seems like forever watching the slider work down, but it's better than getting a slammer!

Skydiving isn't scary;...but clowns...CLOWNS are scary!

I encourage all jumpers that say they are getting 1000+ foot openings to get video of them opening then compare that to what they think it is. A 1000+ foot snivel is at least 7 seconds in snivel. If you are talking 1000 feet from wave to full canopy and brakes popped thats totally different then a true 1000 foot snivel.

I'm a big guy that falls so fast that I can bellyfly with most freefliers at my dz. Because I fall faster, I used to beat myself to death on the openings. Overtime, I figured out how to get that nice long snivel though. Flying mostly de-arched, I drop just over a grand in five seconds, and that's just about how long it takes me waveoff and pull. So wave and pull at 4.5 and I am usually setting in the saddle with a fully opened canopy around 2.3. So at least for me, it is possible to get that kind of snivel.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

I loved my snivel under my Spectre (what a beautiful canopy :S) Anyway, that thing snivelled. Wearing a camera, you had to love it. I really enjoy my Stiletto, but I think my back-up canopy is going to be a Spectre for camera. :)
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

Are you releasing the PC at 4.5 or are you waving at 4500? Big difference. A sinvel is technically the point in which the dbag is cleared off the canopy untill the slider is the majority of the way down the lines. I'll usually count mine from when I feel my container open since I can feel that before I get stood up when the canopy is already partially open.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I have a sabre135

I tuck the nose, make sure the front of the slider is pulled down all the way (or technically, up all the way), and roll the tail "thoroughly"

From my toss to being stood up takes about a second, and the slider hits the bumpers in another 2-3 seconds. Usually covers a total of about 500'. I've never had it take longer than that.

Are you releasing the PC at 4.5 or are you waving at 4500? Big difference. A sinvel is technically the point in which the dbag is cleared off the canopy untill the slider is the majority of the way down the lines. I'll usually count mine from when I feel my container open since I can feel that before I get stood up when the canopy is already partially open.

I wave at 4.5 which would make the opening start happening right at 3.5 or so. I guess we are talking semantics here. I always counted snivel as the time from pc deployment to slider most of the way down.
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Does it frighten me????
Yes, well it did for the first 5 jumps on it.

I have become somewhat used to it, but I follow these simple RULES:

1: Don't go low. Pull at or before 3800 ft.
2: Let everyone on the load know what I am pulling at and that i will snivel down.
3: Below 1500ft go to silver if I have an emergency which requires me to go low.
4: (Most important) Have a hard deck and stick to it.

I am new in the sport and my hard deck is 2Kft. That means at 2Kft if that bad larry ain't open, I am getting rid of it. I haven't had to do that yet because I have always followed rule 1. I will continue to follow rule 1 and will hopefully never have to chop for a low sniveling chute.

Chris

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

I think a lot of people are having altimeter paralax, coupled with the lag in the altimeter, and the general adrenline time warp makes people think things are happening longer then they are. I'm yet to have a snivel on video last more then about 3.5 seconds. Thats only about 500-600 feet. Thats on Spectres, Cobalts, Jedei's, Firebolts, Sabre2's, and Stilettos. I've had tandem canopies take about 800-900 before. But sport canopies don't seem to snivel more then about 3 seconds or so.

Just remember for a 1000 foot snivel it would have to do that for 7+ seconds. Are you really going to look up at something for 7 full seconds and not wonder if its a streamer at that point?

I wouldn't make up the numbers, the truth is my snivel is huge. I too invite you to film it. My average snivel is 900-1100 feet. My largest was 1500 ft. My shortest 400ft (sloppy pack job by me).

I know what you mean about wave and pull times. This is how I determine my distance. Wave off, and as I reach for the hackey, my arm is in front of my face. I try to catch the last reading on my altimeter before the bag sits me up and my arm moves down to my side. I usually count in my head 4 secs before I check my alti first then my chute.
I'll be the first to admit that counting to 4 is not an accurate time keeping... I could be counting fast or slow, I have no idea, but it is my routine. Once I see the altimeter and i know I am above 3K I then watch the chute open. From that point it is in most cases about 3-6. I am usually givving the front risers a tug. Typically the chute then pops open and surges down real briefly. I check the alti before the control check to see where I am reletive to my hard deck.

When determining the snivel of the chute I take the last reading I saw right at deployment minus when I next look. I usually will knock off a hundred feet or so figuring it took a couple seconds after the downward surge before I checked.

Ask my friends who have deployed more than 500 ft below me and watched me snivel to about 200 ft below them.

Reasons for this??? Big Slider and Brand new thick lines.

Chris

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

I got in the habit of packing a long snivel when I started jumping my Diablo. That way I am always in the saddle with my hands on the R Risers when it inflates and starts doing whatever the fuck it wants to, besides fly straight.

I jump a Pisa (aerodyne Research) SR-71 170 and it snivels for about 1000', my s/o rolls the hell out the nose or it snatches the poop outta ya...

Do you roll four and four into the center cell? I wouldn't if you do. I have a friend who was jumping an sr71 as his first rig. He rolled the nose like that, and because of those nose dams, it locked the cells on each side into the center cell. It obviously didn't open. Keep your hands on those handles. ;) Just be aware that it could happen. You may have a rigger look at it and check out a pocketed slider or a larger slider. also be aware of what you are doing with the tail of the canopy.

Cheers,
Travis

Can someone please explain to my sabre 150 (original slider) what a snivel is?????

I usually have that bad boy full inflated in under 300ft, hopefully that will all change this weekend when I fit my new slider.....

-Oli
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

...My Tri 190 snivels...sometimes it seems like forever watching the slider work down, but it's better than getting a slammer!

Yes! For me, packing is the key....I have been trained by my Tri190 to pull the slider out just this <--> much to get a nice, soft, sniveling opening... it's very responsive to the slider pull-out distance.
Too much, LONG-ass snivel, too little, POPYOURASSAGOODONE!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239