akarunway

Wing loading

I was always told there was no such thing as a stupid question so here goes. Out the door = you and total gear. Once you deploy your main shouldn't your wing loading be caculated - your main
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

The main is included; it has to support its own weight, after all.

I see what you are saying about the chute carrying its own weight, however, the weight that matters in wingloading of a chute - that is the weight that affects the performance - is the suspended weight right? The suspended weight (you and rig minus main) is what affects turn rate and dive of the canopy. Sooo even though we are only talking about 6 or so pounds, I think that the effective wingloading should not technically include the main. Does this make sense?
Flying Hellfish #470

>I see what you are saying about the chute carrying its own weight,
> however, the weight that matters in wingloading of a chute - that is
> the weight that affects the performance - is the suspended weight right?

No. A canopy must generate enough lift to counter the entire weight of the system; there's no aerodynamic 'trick' that allows the weight of the wing to not be supported by this lift. If you doubled the weight of the canopy (say from 6 pounds to 12) the performance of the canopy would change a bit; it would be similar to what happens when you add 6 pounds of weight in a weight belt, at least in a steady glide.

Of course.

Additionally, when measuring my total body weight, if I'm standing up I dont include the weight of my legs.
Since they are holding me up their mass doesnt count :S:SB|

So a fat-ass obese person who's sit-flying can exclude the weight of their ass?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>I see what you are saying about the chute carrying its own weight,
> however, the weight that matters in wingloading of a chute - that is
> the weight that affects the performance - is the suspended weight right?

No. A canopy must generate enough lift to counter the entire weight of the system; there's no aerodynamic 'trick' that allows the weight of the wing to not be supported by this lift. If you doubled the weight of the canopy (say from 6 pounds to 12) the performance of the canopy would change a bit; it would be similar to what happens when you add 6 pounds of weight in a weight belt, at least in a steady glide.

Amen.:)