jumpinfarmer

winter jumping, how keep warm?

Yesser that is right. Most people think you have to be in cold temps to be hyopthermic, but you can catch it even if it is 80 degrees outside. We really need to watch it B/C people that are getting pretty deep into the stages of hypo. do not think clearly and are a risk. The body is a awesome thing, rerouting blood and such to compensate for shock and trauma.

On a side note for somone that runs across this this winter here are a few trips to treat it. If it is in the early stages with symptoms such as redness and tingling you can do a few things such as; move the patient indoors, activly rewarm the body part under luke warm water and then cover with warm blankets and massage. If it is in the late stages, such as complete numbness, purple, brown, blue or waxy looking skin DO NOT massage the tissue, or run under water this causes damage to the tissue, and under extreme conditions cause cardiac arrest. Cover the patient with a warm blanket and transport to medical attention immediatly the patint needs to be rewarmed from the inside out with warm IV fluids and such.

I usually find that cycling gloves work well as they are normally wind proof, not to mention not as bulky as other glove types are. As for cold haven't really noticed it in freefall ( consentration elsewhere ). Only noticed under canopy.

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

I have jumped with ground temps in the 20s and I jump at a high altitude DZ.

REI makes nordic running suits that are neoprene and polartec lined, they are great under a jumpsuit and, if it is really cold and I have to go up in the cargo door 206 (fabric door) I put on silk long johns underneath the running suit.

More than anything make sure that your head is covered, I love my Z-1 and that your hands are warm. I use leather gloves that are lined with thinsulate. I also have silk glove liners. You can get them from Wilson Leather, they always go on sale at the end of the winter season so they end up costing around $10-15. I pick up an extra pair when they are on sale.

Last winter I learned to keep a clean, dry pair of sock to change into for the drive home.