robertmicp

Military jump numbers

Does anyone "carry over" military jump numbers into sport skydiving numbers?

I did.

I left a plane in flight and landed with a parachute.

I don't count them for ratings/awards, but they are in my log book.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Nope, I never counted mine towards my overall numbers. I just keep them seperate. My USPA logbook is for actual freefall jumps, not my military static line ones.

I have both static and HALO jumps, would you log the HALO jumps?

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Does anyone "carry over" military jump numbers into sport skydiving numbers?

I logged all of my military freefall jumps in my skydiving logbook. No amount of sport skydiving on the weekends, though, count for military currency. No, SL army jumps do not get logged in sport logs, or at least they would not have before 1 October 2001. It was on that day that USPA said all jumps (SL, tandem, IAD, whatever) counted toward your 25 (the new amount) needed for your A-license. That's technically against the spirit of the rule, but I guess if a person had otherwise completed all the tasks on their A-license proficiency card they could "legally" (by the SIM anyways) make up the remainder of the 25 with their military jumps. I don't know anyone cheesy enough to try that, but you never know.

chuck

Same as chuck, I log all my HALO jumps in with my sport jumps as I do my tandems or any other form of free falling from the sky. free fall is free fall be it work or play.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

interesting , tell me when you teach static line progresion does you student count those jumps in his/her log. I believe they do so with that in mind then is it not the same for high speed aircraft exits with a static line.

Yes, SL and IAD students log all of their "assisted" jumps in their logbook and they count toward their A. Likewise, tandem jumps a person completed prior to moving on to more advanced training count toward your A.

Technically, by the way I read the SIM since October 2001, yes. That said, I would not consider logging any jump in which I exited in anything other than a "skydiving" body form. I have over 150 military SL jumps, but would not consider logging any of them into my skydiving logbook. I have a military log for that. Hell, in a backwards sense I felt bad for counting my HALO jumps towards my master wings. Since you cannnot count military SL jumps toward the 50-minimum HALO jumps you need to attend MFFJM, then you probably ought not be able to count MFF jumps toward your "regular" master wings. Does that make sense to anyone else?

Chuck
MFFJM, master parachutist, and various and sundry other glory badges that meant something before I retired.

per the ST&A (also 82nd way back when) when i went thru AFF we started my log book at 12 (11 military static line jumps)

His opinion was they counted as 'jumps' but i still needed the requisite freefall time to get my A. Didnt bother me much either way, but it did mean that i started jumping with others that much faster...

i log my HALO jumps but not my static line.

military static line is nothing like anything freefall related the exit is different and you have to do basically nothing to land the chute, just hit and roll liek a sack of sh*t. none of this would translate to any type of freefall skill so i don't see how it would be right to log it. 1000's of military static line jumps would not give you the slightest bit of freefall skill.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

i log my HALO jumps but not my static line.

military static line is nothing like anything freefall related the exit is different and you have to do basically nothing to land the chute, just hit and roll liek a sack of sh*t. none of this would translate to any type of freefall skill so i don't see how it would be right to log it. 1000's of military static line jumps would not give you the slightest bit of freefall skill.

I know, I learned on static line. Have also made several more over the years doing live tests. If you jumped out of an airplane, to me its a jump. I log them. But like a C/P I don't log any freefall time.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I logged all my S/L jumps. I worked hard on those. No freefall, so I didn't log freefall time on those.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Log whatever the hell you want. Hell you could log jumping off of your couch for all I care! You're still doing a PLF, right? As long as you know what the hell you're doing in the SPORT SKYDIVING world (which many trainded military jumpers DON'T). Just don't ever think you know more than an edjucated, and experienced sport jumper. In my short career I HAVE SEEN MANY MILITARY TRAINED MAKE THIS MISTAKE.

Remember,
Military Skydiving World
VERY DIFFERENT
from Sport Skydiving World