AMax

Used gear at dz.com

I have an interesting observation from dz.com used gear classifields.

Several months ago, I was looking for a used piece of skydiving equipment. When I contacted a seller regarding one deal I was after, I was told that the item is in excellent shape and has about 500 jumps on it. When the package arrived, I looked at the item and decided not to buy it for two reasons. The first and the main reason was sizing, which is nobody’s fault – happens all the time when fishing for used gear. The second reason - the item in question looked like it had more wear than my older item (same manufacturer) that had more than 700 jumps on it by that time. Not a big deal, I returned the item in question to a seller without any hard feelings.

Recently, to my great surprise I saw that the same item is posted again by the same person, but now it has 350 jumps on it.

I am not going to post the names because there is a chance that this situation is simply a result of unfortunate mistake or confusion. However, I do believe that the confusion needs to be fixed.

Any input?

So far in all my dealings buying used gear through this web site, I have always had great luck with the gear condition. I mean most of the gear has looked like it has less jumps than stated. Only once has a canopy appeared to have about 100 more jumps than stated but I personally look at posted jump numbers as a plus 50 jumps minus none. To date I have bought 5 canopies, three helmets, 3 frap hats, 1 camera suit and a Pro Trak from these classified adds.
Kirk

Oh I am not complaining about the site. The site is great (otherwise I wouldn't be paying for membership). I posted this because I personally saw that thing. When I laid it down side by side with a similar piece if gear with known number of jumps (>700) that thing looked older.
OK, it could be my wrong impression by I was told it has 500 jumps on it.
Now it has less. Did it get newer after several months? >:(

You know what... this whole thing might be better addressed in PM's with the Classifieds mod. Feel free to PM me all the info and I'll work to resolve the situation for all parties.

This advice is actually going out to everyone. Lots of people seem to want to take their problems out in the fourms instead of dealing with A) people that can fix the situation or B) people involved with the situation. Either A or B can solve probally 90% of the situations here on DZ.com. That includes dealing with the manufactor, instructors or other jumpers.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

You know what... this whole thing might be better addressed in PM's with the Classifieds mod. Feel free to PM me all the info and I'll work to resolve the situation for all parties.

This advice is actually going out to everyone. Lots of people seem to want to take their problems out in the fourms instead of dealing with A) people that can fix the situation or B) people involved with the situation. Either A or B can solve probally 90% of the situations here on DZ.com. That includes dealing with the manufactor, instructors or other jumpers.

Good call. I posted here w/o names and details because I did not know what would be the right thing to do.

Maybe it did have that many jump numbers, but they were"hard jumps" Ie packed in the sun with dirt ect. The reason for the same rig being in the classifieds is that it was not the same rig, but a rig that was identical, possibly from a team that bought matching rigs?

Maybe it did have that many jump numbers, but they were"hard jumps" (i.e. packed in the sun with dirt etc.) The reason for the same rig being in the classifieds is that it was not the same rig, but a rig that was identical, possibly from a team that bought matching rigs?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Reminds me of a conversation with George Galloway - a couple of days ago.
When I asked George "How many jumps before a reline?" he was deliberately vague.
George's first response was (paraphrased) "Most jumpers do not have a clue how many jumps they have on a particular piece of gear."
George's second comment was about "wear varies radically depending upon whether you you jump in the desert, pack on carpet, etc."

The bottom line is: a canopy with 1,000 in the Great North Wet may be just breaking in its second set of lines, while a Southern California canopy - with the same number of jumps - is starting its second career as a boat cover.

i have had mixed luck.. the first complete rig i tried to buy got to me and i was told it was in excellent condition with no damage whatsoever. the packing data card showed it had all gotten wet, the main had a patch, and the reserve had multiple rides on it. i sent it back and had to pay shipping. I suggest everyone go through their DZ and not send any cash untill you and your rigger inspect the gear. The second time i tried and had a rig sent down it was the real deal and worked perfectly. the moral of the story is dont send any $$$ till you've inspected the goods; otherwise somebody will burn you...
HISPA 72 ----- "Muff Brother" 3733

I sold a rig on consignment through my DZ's gear store, but it was sold to someone in another state through the classifieds here. It was a nice rig in good shape, but wouldn't have sold all that easily locally for a number of reasons. It worked out well for me and it was worth the small consignment fee I paid since they (actually Betzilla) handled all the details including shipping it out of state for a trial run and inspection. I think the buyer had some additional comfort purchasing through a DZ gear store and being able to see and try it out before finalizing the sale.

the moral of the story is dont send any $$$ till you've inspected the goods; otherwise somebody will burn you...

I work on the opposite basis... If I sell gear, you can be sure I am not departing with it until I have the cash in hand....
Remster

Selling and buying in dz.com can either work or be a complete bust for both parties, not just the buyer.

it sounds like in this case the buyer is getting screwed..
but personally I sold a rig here 3 months ago and still havent seen the color of green !!! apparently the post office cant get their shit together,

oh well,
its internet buying folks ! its not 100 % foolproof,

just my .02 cents

Paul

Keeping it real 22x7

the moral of the story is dont send any $$$ till you've inspected the goods; otherwise somebody will burn you...

I work on the opposite basis... If I sell gear, you can be sure I am not departing with it until I have the cash in hand....

Here's how I went about it when I sold my gear, I asked the guy that wanted to buy it who his rigger was, or which rigging loft he was using and dealt with the rigger.
He sent me half the money, I sent him the rig, when he decided he wanted it, I got the rest of the money and the rigger did not give the guy the rig until I called him that I received the money in full.

Iwan

Use a human intermediary when it comes time to actually do the transfers. Make sure it's a trusted rigger, DZ, or gear store that either party can verify. It may work out OK without this, but I wouldn't want to take the chance. Either party can get bitten.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

Both myself and a good friend of mine have been very happy with the used gear we've bought through the Classifieds. I bought a complete rig and my friend bought a main canopy. In both cases we arranged to have the gear shipped to a well known and reputable loft which acted as an intermediary.

In addition, my rig was being offered by a well known gear dealership (whose owner regularly posts on these Forums), acting for the owner who was away on a job on the east coast. I have had nothing less than FANTASTIC service from this dealership.

There is an element of "You pay your money, you take your chances" anytime you enter into a private sale, especially online. That risk can be minimized with a little cautious planning.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

So far, I've bought a wingsuit and 2 canopies through dropzone.com. Also sold some stuff. So far, no problemo :knocks on wood:. Only surprise was when the triathlon 120 I bought turned out to be a hybrid triathlon 120, which I think should've been mentioned in the ad but was exactly the canopy I had been looking for so I didn't complain :)
I've sent wingsuits to their new owner without having received the money first (though it was offered), just to speed up the process, but usually stuff was payed for in advance. Also, with wingsuits, I've sent some to people to try them on, when they didn't quite fit I got them back complete with shipping money.

Either I've just been lucky so far, or I screen my emails well, or skydivers are just nice people in general ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia