flyinghonu

Newbies: Do you pack your own rig?

I am like nate and pretty much pack when I can. As there are not an infinite amount of loads at my dropzone I do not really want to miss my third jump because it might be the last for 2 weeks, so sometimes I grab another student rig. I also think that I am not a uni student any more and if I have to pay $5 so I can make one more load, then so be it

Also I jump student rigs at the moment and my understanding of the rules are that I can not pack a rig that a student may jump. So I pack if I know that a licensed jumper is going to use it next, but otherwise the last jump of the day I need to pay $5.

This will probably be different when I convert to the non-student hire rigs.

Mind you when a student rig comes in I try to help out as much as possible and flake out the canopy and set the lines and so forth till a point that someone else can follow on and still be confident that everything is in working order. I would like to get my packer qualifications, but I think I will pack a few more for myself before I start packing for others.

What are the rules for USA dropzones in regards to packing. In Australia you have to "have the approval of the chief instructor to pack a main parachute for his or her own use or a licensed parachutist." in order to get your A license.

I have packed it as much as I can. I am told there is a somewhat enforced rule at the DZ - that as long as you are a student - you can pack the "rental rigs" for your own use to earn the requirement of the A - but as soon as you have your A - a DZ packer must pack DZ owned equipment... Technically I have earned the "A" packing requirement by now, but I am not stopping until they kindly ask me not to pack anymore. The reason for the rule - if there is a cutaway or damage - no pointing fingers to who packed it...

That being said, since my gear won't be here for two months, I am packing as much as I can now, to stay current... Plus, it is rewarding for me to see my own handy work when it opens flawlessly. And, I have found that I am now quick enough that packing my own rig is quicker than waiting for a packer.

come by just when I am stuffing it in the bag and comment, "are you really gonna jump that".

I get that comment alot, too...

I comment this to myself a lot too... :P

Packed for myself most of the time.

Now I give to pack every once in a while to some specific people at the DZ if I don't have time... And I pack their's when I have spare time...

Sometimes pack for others... I pack for jump tickets, for T-Shirts, for biplane flights...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Do I pack my own rig? - Yes I do!
Do I jump with my rig if I packed them? - No way!:) ......yet;)

YEah, so why wouldn;t you jump them?? In general (not directed at any one person!) it seems there are more and more people every year getting into skydiving that are lazy, complacent or just don't give a fuck about what they are doing. To have anything more than 10-15 jumps without packing it yourself seems silly! There is a big defference between someone who has done 500 or 1000 pack jobs paying someone to pack up their shit than folks with less than 100 jumps paying someone. I know it is a changing world but back when I started if you weren't willing to put in some effort, some work and some learning time, the coaches weren't really willing to work with you as a student as that attitude would be showing a lack of repect for the sport. People who have the hot custom gear, the cool expensive jump accessories and can't pack their own shit should try something a little less demanding than skydiving. Learn to pack the bitch when it is a brand new zero-p canopy. If you do, you will be able to pack just about anything, anywhere, anytime! Yes, it does suck but you will learn unless you are below average intelligence.
PEOPLE!!! Learn to pack!! It really is important to understand your parachute inside and out, to have an intimate relationship with it. You should know every line, seem and fold like you know your lover's body!!
As for packing itself.................... Since I am assuming (although I shouldn't) that those flying high-performance canopies can pack their own stuff I will say this. There is a lot of voodoo for newbies when it comes to packing. It's not that complicated so try not to make it so for yourself.
If the lines are straight and clear, the slider is up and in proper position, the brakes are set and it is structurally sound the bloody thing is going to open! If it slams you, learn from it, if it opens off-heading or with line twists, learn from it, talk to the packing gods, talk to a rigger you trust, talk to the freaking manufacturer, just pack your own parachute!
Skydiving in the modern world is getting sad. As the skydiving gets better by default it is also getting worse.
So.................put that in your pipe and smoke it!:P
SabreDave

So.................put that in your pipe and smoke it!:P

Don't hold back... tell us how you really feel ;)

To answer the original question, nope, not yet. I just took the packing class last week, and hope to practice whenever I get an opportunity (slow day, weather holds, etc.) But as long as there's blue skies at my small DZ, there's a high demand for student gear and there's not going to be a lot of patience for me "practicing" for an hour (which is about what it takes me to pack right now) when the packers can do them in under 15 minutes (well under, in some cases).

Once I get my own gear, though, I fully expect to pack it most of the time unless I'm feeling lazy. But even taking the class has increased my understanding of how canopies work, so I know that it's a good learning experience to continue to pack.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'd be interested to see some comparative advantage statistics run on those who can pack professionally as well as pack their own. It would be nice to be able to manage my time most efficiently when I am at a boogie where I am packing my own, jumping, and Packing Sport rigs & tandems for profit. I think that I have yet to manage myself as efficiently as possible - I'm sure it's costing me in jumps and money....[:/]
=========Shaun ==========

In general (not directed at any one person!) it seems there are more and more people every year getting into skydiving that are lazy, complacent or just don't give a fuck about what they are doing.... I know it is a changing world but back when I started if you weren't willing to put in some effort, some work and some learning time, the coaches weren't really willing to work with you as a student as that attitude would be showing a lack of repect for the sport. People who have the hot custom gear, the cool expensive jump accessories and can't pack their own shit should try something a little less demanding than skydiving.

Really? The little exposure I have to the sport (as I am not as lucky as some to actually be employed by it), I have not experienced this at all. I find that the "Newbies" that I run into seem to be more eager about learning than some of the older jumpers whom, "in general," seem to dismiss a lot as "old news" taking for granted that perhaps it may be something useful to Newbies.

I think those that are not willing to "put in some effort, some work and some learning time" don't last in the sport; hence, packing really never becomes an issue for them.

Learn to pack the bitch when it is a brand new zero-p canopy. If you do, you will be able to pack just about anything, anywhere, anytime! Yes, it does suck but you will learn unless you are below average intelligence.

I agree.

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

Ive been packing since about jump 15, my first one was a student rig and my CI hop'n'popped it from 3000 to test it out. His girlfriend was standing next to me, im not sure who was more nervous!! Now i pack every jump, it's so easy when you know how! :P

flyinghonu, SabreDave

Why don't you jump your own pack jobs?
YEah, so why wouldn;t you jump them??

If you'we seen how it looks like (:S) - you wouldn't ask me "why"B|

Actually I just recently bougth my rig and I did a quite low pack jobs... so as soons as I will have some more practice (and my packed rig will look like a rig :)
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

Got it. I guess that is something else that needs to be taken into consideration. At my dropzone, you can practice packing a student rig but you cannot jump that pack job in the student rig (for liability reasons I've been told). So, in order to get A LOT of practice under my belt (i.e. at home as well as at the DZ), I had to wait to get my own gear. I now know all the curves, seams, small tears [:/], etc. in my canopy. However, when it comes to packing...yeah, I can do it...in anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour :S.

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

I pack for myself because it is part of the sport... I have been since 20 jumps or so. Otherwise, it would be like playing soccer, and having someone kick the ball for you.... at least to me :)

Also, if I fuck it up and chop, I have only myself to blame:P

Nick.

Those who dance, are cosidered insane by those who can't hear the music.

No other way to roll....

If I go in, because my bag is shit, it'll be because I fucked it up.

Kind of sick thinking I know, and? I've had some VERY qualified people pack my shit, and it's all good, I just like knowing what went in the bag before it goes on my back.

yeah, kind of a control freak like that.

J
It's a gas, gas, gas...

i have packed my rig since jump 1. that s how it works in france. during AFF, they teach you everything. you can t get away after AFF without being able to pack yourself.
i don t know why, i just love packing! it s the meticulous and dexterity parts that i like. when i decided to pack tandems, i spent 2 rainy days unpacking and packing tandem rigs (about 20 in the 2 days)
and i had pretty much done the same for the individual rig i rented. ust use the time on your hands when you cant jump but are still on the DZ to ge better at it and not waste time when you can actually jump.

--------------------------------------------------
The tongue is NOT only a tool for speech!

I am fortunate to have a service many people want, including my packer--Massage Therapy. So, I barter my pack jobs during the day and then usually take my fairly new main home to pack. I can take my time, don't miss loads, and become knowledgable about my gear. The best of both worlds. It takes forever, but my husband loves watching me. Go figure.

Yeah, I know better.
PMS #341