flyinghonu

Newbies: Do you pack your own rig?

yes, every time. I paid for my first 7 packjobs on my own gear so I could get through my conversion jumps quickly, i've packed every jump since then.
A) i don't have the money to pay a packer
B) I don't mind packing all that much... but then again I don't jump all that much. If i was making 7 or 8 jumps a day i'm sure i'd be singing a different tune.

And you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn't need
'Cause you knew you were finally free - Death Cab For Cutie

I packed my own gear from jump 14.

There's no way in hell I was going to be caught forking out 5 bucks for a pack.

Edit to add: And, at least in the extremely limited amount of jumps I have, I've always thought it to be part of the experience of skydiving, It's fun to pack with my other buddies right after a jump. and then laugh at them as I close my container and throw in my PC way before them :ph34r:

BE THE BUDDHA!

Nah. I've just got my new rig which is a b!tch to pack. Plus I'd rather spend time in the air than on the damn packing matt.

I can pack (takes ages though), once my canopy has got more jumps on it and is easier to pack, then I'll pack it myself.

And anyway, thats why we have packers eh? :ph34r:

Russ

I aslo have been packing my own chute since about jump 15...

I'd miss 2 loads before the sucker was in bag...

but practice makes for quicker pack job's

Mike
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

I have more jumps than that, however I have packed my own gear from around jump 16 on.

In that time I have paid to have someone pack for me maybe twice and have had friends do it free a few times.

I have saved around $1700
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I have packed myself since jump 1...then again I became a packer about 1 week before I started AFF

I like to know what to expect when my bag opens...if I pack it, i more or less know what is going to happen. Plus no one better to blame for a problem than myself :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A life without a cause
is a life without an effect

My canopy is also fairly new, and it's a pain in the ass to pack.. I've done it a couple of times, and it takes me FOREVER.. So instead of missing loads I want to get on, I let the packers do it MUCH faster than I can myself and to me that's worth 5 bucks plus the end of day tips I usually leave.. I also get to just relax between my loads, I like to hang out and BS :ph34r:

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Yes. It's just something that I feel I should know how to do if I want to be a serious skydiver, which I do.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

For those of you under 100 jumps, do you pack it yourself? If not, why not?

Esp when asked in a leading manner, don't be too surprised that only the packers are answering.

I've told myself that when my rig is complete (any week now, lol), I'll start packing. I don't want to deal with random rentals every week. We'll see. I suspect I'll go 50% within a month, then depends on how lazy I feel or how long it is to the next load. On a quiet day, missing the Otter/Pac/KingAir load can mean waiting a long time to the next one, or getting on the little cessnas.

I learnt how to pack when i was doing AFF and packed my own rig as soon as I started jumping it, at about 20 jumps.

I'd rather know exactly how my rig was packed and what to expect of the opening. Also, I think it's the best way to know your gear. I know people with over 100 jumps who dont even know how to close their container, let alone how to pack the canopy that goes in it!
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

Unfortunately due to poor weather I have yet to start my AFF, so my next time at the DZ I'll be taking a packing class. I'm not sure I'll be able to actually pack the student rig, but its worth learning ASAP.
At nearly $200 per AFF jump and ~ 2hr drive I'll like to make the most of my time at the DZ.
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

It's considered quite bad form here in Oz for low-time jumpers not to pack their own rig on at least a semi-regular basis.

I had an injured hand and couldn't pack for myself for three months (around jumps 80-140). I had three instructors quiz me on why I wasn't packing for myself. Which is fair enough - I think all low-timers should pack for themselves as much as possible. After all, you really should know the gear that's gonna keep you alive.

All that said, I usually pay for the last pack-job of the day. 'Coz the bar is open - priorities! B|.

Damn straight I pack my own rig. It might take longer but hey, practice makes perfect. That, and it adds to the excitement, not really knowing how it's gonna open...

"take longer" goes away once you reach a certain level of experience. You will speed up by doing it.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

No because it is physically too demanding. I prefer to save the energy for jumping and consider the $5 fee to be the best value in the world. I will never (or as close to never as one can possibly be) be more than a weekend fun jumper and can afford to pay the packers. Besides, it gives them revenue.