chuteless

my skydiving log books

I have one more thing that someone can have, if they want it. Its FREE., but you can pay the postage to receive it.

It is a Stevens Custom jumpsuit. Yellow in color,(similar to those worn by the Golden Knights team) and it was given to me buy the guy who was my jumpmaster when I made my first jump in August 1962. He began jumping in 1960.

He bought this suit about 1973, and its LIKE NEW.

It has two full length zippers up the front, from ankle to neck.
It has an elastic waist, and velcro cuffs.

It may have about 3 or 4 jumps on it, but the only indication of use is a smudge on the right knee....probably from packing.

The first person who provides me with his/her height, and the inseam (crotch to ankle at top of show) can have it. I know what size of person it will fit, and I would like to know it WILL fit you, and that you WILL use it.

Bill Cole D-41

I am a new jumper...who would benefit form such a gernerous offer.... I am 5'10" and my inseam is 35" I lost my new jumpsuite to the handy work of the paramedics....let's talk...I will pay a good price for your suite...don't feel right just accepting free...

"Don't waste the pretty"!

Bill's too modest...

Another news article about Chuteless

http://www.yorkregion.com/yr/newscentre/erabanner/story/2458483p-2848148c.html

Risk? What risk? This is F-U-N

Jan 4, 2005
Caroline Grech - More from this author

Bill Cole was nine the first time he went airborne off the railing of his father's house, holding only an umbrella as a parachute.

That fearless indoor jump with an umbrella would be a preview of things to come with a career in skydiving spanning four decades.

Not to be outdone by his brother, who had skydived three times already, Mr. Cole decided to take his first jump at 29 in 1962.

The first jump unleashed a passion for skydiving and a career that includes 857 jumps, a slew of national records and a claim to fame as the first to photograph a jump and the first Canadian to jump chuteless.

A self-confessed adrenaline junkie, skydiving by the rules wasn't a part of Mr. Cole's program for long.

The first time the 72-year-old jumped without a chute was from 13,000 feet. Jumping with someone else who carried the parachute at 6,000 feet he snapped on his chute and had opened it by 3,000 feet.

"It's the greatest flight in the world," Mr. Cole recalls, his eyes lighting up as he remembers the feeling.

Despite taking risks and pushing the envelope on each and every one of his jumps, whether or not it be jumping from a higher altitude, jumping without a chute or opening it up as close to the ground as possible, Mr. Cole downplays the dangers. "It's just another jump," he says of bounding into the sky without a chute. "I don't look at it as a risk, I look at it as fun."

Currently nursing a smashed heel, ankle, tailbone and torn muscles he suffered in his last jump in Ohio in June, Mr. Cole remains undeterred by the accident that has, temporarily, sidelined him.

Insistent he will jump again next year, Mr. Cole says fear is never a consideration when he jumps, despite having numerous close calls over his four decades of taking part in the extreme sport.

"You have too much to do," Mr. Cole explains, noting when something goes wrong on a jump, a skydiver needs to concentrate on how to fix the situation.

One jump in 1990 had him contemplating his funeral.

Opening his chute and realizing it was twisted into a big ball and wouldn't work, he looked down at the field he was about to fall on to and asked himself, "What kind of field am I going to die in?"

Then he promptly pulled his reserve chute and it opened at about 60 feet, just above the tree tops.

The fall was so close to the ground, a search party had already been sent to find him.

Using the philosophy that if he survives the accident, it doesn't count, Mr. Cole chooses to look at the exhilarating side of skydiving.

In his career, Mr. Cole has used his reserve chute a total of nine times. Getting injured during jumps is a minimal problem compared to losing friends in jumping mishaps.

Despite conceding he has lost too many friends to accidents, dealing with death has never stopped him from jumping.

"It doesn't deter me, just as much as it wouldn't deter them if I died."

Religious since his childhood, the now retired skydiver simply reasons God keeps him safe during all his jumps.

"God looks after me and he looks after me well," he says matter-of-factly.

Jumping by his own set of rules may have made his career more thrilling, but it certainly didn't impress everyone.

The Canadian Sport Parachuting Association isn't among Mr. Cole's fans, after the organization twice banished him from the club.

The first time he was thrown out was for jumping without a parachute.

"I jump my way and where I want to," Mr. Cole says adamantly, clearly having no regrets about his checkered past with the organization.

"If you want to make a name for yourself you have to bend the rules."

After being kicked out initially, he was reinstated, only to be kicked out again for comments he made during a TV interview.

Because of his behaviour, the highest jump, at an altitude of 36,916 feet -- a Canadian record -- is not even acknowledged by the organization.

"The CPSA doesn't want to recognize it because it was me," Mr. Cole says.

Originally from Longbranch, a neighbourhood in Etobicoke, the only pictures that rival his parachuting photographs on the walls of his Aurora apartment are of his seven-year-old granddaughter, Lindsay.

"She is priceless," he says with admiration as he studies her pictures as if for the first time.

The twice-divorced daredevil is a father of three adult children and grandfather to six grandchildren.

Despite retiring from active parachuting in September and nursing a host of injuries, Mr. Cole has not seen his last jump.

While he may not have lost his desire to jump, he admits he doesn't feel the same rush and exhilaration he experienced when he first started jumping.

People have asked him if he thinks he is too old to be jumping; the questions have even come from doctors who have told him, frankly, they think he is crazy.

He just chalks it up to having a good time.

"I've had so much fun that there ought to be a law against it," the fearless skydiver says.

"Nobody has more fun than me!"

When not challenging himself with the height of a jump or diving without a chute, Mr. Cole challenges himself by opening his parachute as close to the ground as he can.

"I've had some jumps that are so low that I didn't come down for a week!" he says, excitement in his eyes just at the thought of it.

As for changes Mr. Cole has observed over the four decades in the extreme sport, the price of a dive is the first that springs to his mind.

"My first parachute cost me $50. It's become very costly. It can cost between $175 to $200 for a first jump," Mr. Cole says.

Skydiving has not been confined to only one of his family members, with two brothers and one sister also skydiving.

Although he has had his fair share of media coverage over the years, he is surprised people still want to hear his stories four decades later.

"I never thought in 2004 anybody would remember my name."

Quite to the contrary.

Mr. Cole still receives frequent e-mails from people with questions about what he has done.

"It's been a great ride, I just wish I could have done it longer."
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

During my trip through the United States this past summer, I gave away the first of my skydiving log books , to a very special person.

This person had been very kind to me especially in the days after breaking my left ankle, heel, and foot and my tailbone on June 5th. The foot and ankle still hasnt healed, and the is very swollen.

I have decided today that I am going to give away four more log books to some dropzone.commers. I will only keep the log book I currently used this summer.

Each log book has a hard blue cover, and measures about 4 X 6 inches. They were the only log books in use during the 1960s.

Log book #2, covers my jumping from jump # 124 to jump #270.

Log Book #3 covers the jumps from #271 to #420.

Log book #4 covers my jumps from # 421 to #570.and includes the two chuteless jumps.

Log Book #5 covers jumps from #571 to #708. and includes the Canadian High Altitude Record from 36,916 ft.

Some of the log books are not completely filled, before I started a new book, but that has no bearing on the jumps recorded. I will photocopy all the books before giving them away.

If anyone is interested in having ONE of these 4 books, let me know. My decision to send them to 4 persons, will likely hinge on my perception of a person's interest,and involvement in the sport, the person's profile on DZ.com, and previous postings which can tell me much.I may select to send one to a person with a couple of jumps, OR a couple of thousand jumps. I may give them to a jumper from any country, depends on replies received but I would like to feel that I am giving them to persons who will take care of them.

If anyone is interested, let me know.

Bill Cole D-41

:$Bill, you sure have made some people happy with the priceless gifts you have given them.
I feel so privilaged to be the keeper of your first log book.
I DO Treasure it. And you.
I told you all along people were very interested in you and your career and the stories you have to tell!
I still believe The Book would be a Classic!!
I would love a copy of the JOURNAL.
Im still sad that I never even got to sign it. :(

Take care, My friend!!

Cin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
earthbound misfit